Richt weighing Lomax discipline issues

Athensvol

Richt weighing Lomax discipline issues
Notebook
By Marc Weiszer | marc.weiszer@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 12:07 AM on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

AUGUSTA - A week after projected starting defensive end Jeremy Lomax was arrested on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon, Georgia coach Mark Richt is still weighing possible discipline for Lomax and a gun policy for his team.

"I'm just thinking it through," Richt said of how to handle Lomax. "Some decisions I have to make in a hurry. Some decisions I don't. This one in particular I'm taking my time with it and thinking it through. ... Usually when I have time I wait until I have some peace about it and when I do, I do it and right now, I don't."

Lomax had a .40 caliber Glock handgun under the driver's seat of his Chevy Caprice after he was pulled over for speeding in Athens. A magazine with 15 rounds in it also was found but the weapon wasn't loaded. Lomax told police he did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Richt indicated he is examining what kind of policy his team will have as it pertains to guns.

"That's a big part of this whole thing," Richt said Tuesday before speaking to the Greater Augusta Bulldog Club. "We have our laws of our land. We have the rules of the university and it may just end right there. That might be the best way to handle this thing. You get into a lot of issues. There are different types of guns and different uses for guns. Certain guys live in certain areas that might be more dangerous than others. Some guys have cars that aren't very safe that might put them in a bad situation and I don't want to put a guy at risk. I don't know what the right answer is."

The incident happened off campus, not on university property. There is no pending case against Lomax with the Office of Judicial Programs for the weapons charge, according to an Open Records request.

Boling agrees to resolution with Judicial Affairs

Offensive guard Clint Boling agreed to an informal resolution with the university's Office of Judicial Programs on Tuesday for his DUI arrest last month in Alpharetta.

Boling admitted to code-of-conduct violations for underage drinking and alcohol-related misconduct for the DUI, according to the resolution obtained by the Banner-Herald.

He is on probation for a year and would be suspended from school for another alcohol violation. In addition, he must complete an alcohol/drug education program and complete 40 hours of community service.

Boling will have to sit out at least one game under Athletic Association policy, but Richt hasn't determined the exact length.

Help on way at fullback

Georgia is turning to a pair of walk-on linebackers to provide depth to what's turned into a thin fullback position.

Benjamin Boyd and Justin Fields will shore up the position after starter Brannan Southerland underwent foot surgery last week that could keep him out until the fifth game of the season.

Richt has been told Southerland's recovery period is "a 12- to 16-week process."

With Fred Munzenmaier suspended the first two games following an alcohol-related arrest, Shaun Chapas is the lone available scholarship fullback.

"We better have three guys that know what to do," Richt said. "We looked at our personnel and we were like 'Who's tough enough to do this job? Who's smart enough and who's willing enough to make this sacrifice?"

Recruit not in fold yet

Defensive end Toby Jackson from Griffin is still trying to qualify academically. Jackson said he will take the ACT on Saturday in hopes of being eligible to report later this summer.

"If everything comes out right, I'll be at Georgia right before camp," Jackson said by phone.

The backup plan is for him to attend Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., for a semester.

Richt has spoken to signee Xavier Avery of Cedar Grove since Baltimore picked him 50th in the baseball draft last week. Avery is more than likely to sign a pro contact.

"He's not sure how long it's going to take him to figure out what to do," Richt said. "I said 'Keep me in the loop.' "

This and that

Richt shot down Internet rumors that coaches had sent home star tailback Knowshon Moreno last month. It was the first question posed to him by fans. "We did not send him home," Richt said. "I'm the only one in charge of being able to send anybody home and I didn't send him home. Knowshon is a wonderful guy and wonderful spirit. ... Richt on freshman receiver A.J.Green, who is on campus. "I've already heard reports that he's the real deal." ... Some Georgia coaches this week are at Oregon State. "Arizona State is an opponent we haven't seen," Richt said. "We wanted to make sure that we have a pretty good understanding of how to perform against those guys."

VN Store

Back