Riding the UT Roller Coaster

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
*Article posted to save everyone the trouble of having to register to read it.*

Riding the UT roller coaster

August 05, 2004

You can debate the degree of decline that is Tennessee football.

But you can't debate this: Tennessee has played in just one SEC Championship game since winning the national title in 1998, and UT hasn't won an SEC title in five years.

The Vols have been on a roller coaster in recent years. In 1999, they were in the national championship hunt until an upset loss at Arkansas in November. They were 8-4 in 2000. They were a half away from playing for the national title in 2001. They were 8-5 in 2002. They were 10-2 and ranked No. 6 before a disappointing loss in the Peach Bowl last season.

In the past five years, Tennessee has had one top-five team and two top-15 teams.

Even so, the Vols over the past five years haven't matched their worst five-year stretch in the 1990s.

So what's happened? Is it average recruiting? Or is it not developing players?

Chris Landry, a long-time NFL scout who recommended Nick Saban for the LSU job way back in 1996, offers these thought.

"I think it's a combination of both, but it has more to do with the talent level," Landry said.

"Even in their heyday, I don't think I would call Tennessee the best at developing talent. They were good, but I don't think it was their strong point."

Landry said the Vols miss former offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe, who is entering his sixth years as Ole Miss' head coach.

"They've taken a step back [on offense]," Landry said. "And the fact they don't have as much talent, that's a combination that has hurt them."

In the 1990s, the two winningest SEC teams were Tennessee and Florida.

In the 2000s, the two best teams have been Georgia and LSU.

"Tennessee is still a very good program, but Tennessee has dropped from being a top-five program to where it is a 12-to-18 program," Landry said.

"I think most people inside football will tell you that Tennessee … didn't beat you because they would do something fancy. They were going to beat you because they had a philosophy they adhered to and they had better talent and they were going to beat you that way. If they didn't have better talent, they probably weren't going to beat you."

That's true. One notable exception - the win over Miami in 2003.

There's no doubt Tennessee hasn't been as talented in recent years as it was in the 1990s.

But you can attribute that as much to bad luck as lack of developing talent.

If Tennessee can't develop talent, why have the Vols had the most players (72) picked in the NFL draft since 1994?

If Tennessee can't develop talent, why have the Vols had 17 first-round picks since 1990?

The bottom line is this: Tennessee must sign more difference makers, must improve on evaluating talent, and must do a better job of maximizing that talent.

Only then will the Vols be able to avoid the pitfalls of eight-win seasons.

Full of Fulmer

In a poll of 25 media members representing eight states, 17 said Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer was wrong to skip the SEC Football Media Days in Birmingham while eight supported his decision.

Those that disagreed with Fulmer didn't think the potential of being deposed should have kept him away. One said it gave more credibility to attorney Thomas Gallion than anything that's happened since Ronnie Cottrell and Ivy Williams filed a $60 million lawsuit against the NCAA. One said Fulmer was "chicken." One said he was trying not to use the word "silly" to describe Fulmer's actions.

Those in support said he should listen to the advice of his attorneys.

Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal Constitution had an interesting take.

"To say talking to me (at media days) is more important than listening to your attorney - that's stupid,'' Barnhart said.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Aug 5, 2004 7:03 PM
"They've taken a step back [on offense]," Landry said. "And the fact they don't have as much talent, that's a combination that has hurt them."

Well that's a big orange DUH!

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Aug 5, 2004 8:03 PM
Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal Constitution had an interesting take.

"To say talking to me (at media days) is more important than listening to your attorney - that's stupid,'' Barnhart said.

What the hell??? A sportswriter with a logical opinion!!

I've always liked Barnhart.

I am just so ready for football season to get here and shift the focus off this whole mess. TRUE Bama fans feel the same way. If I lived in Alabama (shudder) and supported Bama (gag), I would call Gallion's office every day telling him to SHUT THE HECK UP for making our state and our program look like a bunch of whiny-butt babies. Fortunately I live in the great state of Tennessee and support a real football team with players who come because they WANT to and a coach who isn't afraid to stand up for what is right. I bet Bama will think twice before buying any MORE players.

Hey Bama....

Attachments

• yousuck_1_.gif
    yousuck_1_.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back