Riggs Final Shot A Greatness

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Geralid Riggs Jr., remember when he signed? It was a big day. Riggs was a 5-star recruit from Red Bank High School in Chattanooga who was considered to be one of the top 5 running backs in the country. As vol fans we expected him to come in and immediately. However, in his first two seasons in a Tennessee uniform Riggs only rushed for 256 yards while battling injuries. Last year he finally had a breakout year as he rushed for 102 yards against Georgia and had an amazing 182 yards on 11 carries in the SECC against Auburn. Gerald finished with 1107 yards on the season averaging over 5 yards per carry. Finally producing like we all knew he was capable of.

Now that Cedric Houston has graduated, Riggs is expected to be "the man" yet again. I think we have talked about it every Spring since he arrived. This year he will be the featured back and get most of the carries assuming he can stay out of trouble. He has already been in Fulmer's doghouse this spring when he was suspended from practice to take care of some academic business. Can the senior keep his act together? Riggs has worked hard and now is his chance in the national spotlight with a team that will be ranked in the preseason top 10.

well, he definetly showed signs of greatness last year. he dominated the sec championship and the cotton bowl.

first thing first though, stay healthy.
we really need him to be 100% to take this thing far this year.

another thing is the o-line. they have to be just as good this year. on their marks.

if we get behind in games, we will stay in the passing game. so staying in games is important. let riggs pound teams and let our d rest.

my only concern is his speed.

what is his 40? can he break away? can he take a pounding if we need him to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

and will fulmer let him play or just keep switching guys in and out.

i dont want a freaking heisman. we want national championships on rocky top.

that stupid heisman means nothing. they can keep that damn thing.

As long as he produces, that's what counts. He won't be the best in the country, but if he is outstanding, I will be a happy fan.

Three things about Riggs that I still question:

1) His toughness. Anybody can run around someone, but a good back will break tackles and run through people. I have yet to see this out of Riggs.

2) Ability to hit the hole full speed. Part of this is related to toughness but on the other hand, had anyone but Riggs run the ball on short yardage against Notre Dame, we win the game. His "dancing" behind the line of scrimage has to cease.

3) Ability to hold onto the ball. He was much better last year but his first two years, he was a fumbling machine.

All three of these things would seem easily correctable, yet many guys often don't learn from their mistakes. There's no question Riggs has talent, but can he reach his potential and be an All-SEC back? Time will tell.

Originally posted by BocaVol@Apr 8, 2005 7:56 PM
Three things about Riggs that I still question:

1) His toughness. Anybody can run around someone, but a good back will break tackles and run through people. I have yet to see this out of Riggs.

2) Ability to hit the hole full speed. Part of this is related to toughness but on the other hand, had anyone but Riggs run the ball on short yardage against Notre Dame, we win the game. His "dancing" behind the line of scrimage has to cease.

3) Ability to hold onto the ball. He was much better last year but his first two years, he was a fumbling machine.

All three of these things would seem easily correctable, yet many guys often don't learn from their mistakes. There's no question Riggs has talent, but can he reach his potential and be an All-SEC back? Time will tell.

Good points Boca.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Apr 8, 2005 7:01 PM
my only concern is his speed.  what is his 40? can he break away? can he take a pounding if we need him to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

I'm not sure of his 40 speed, but I saw him burn Auburn's secondary a couple of times. Riggs is pretty quick once he gets out in the open field. Getting there seems to be the biggest problem sometimes.

Riggs will need to get to class and not irritate Fulmer anymore if wants to accomplish anything.

BocaVol said it best. Riggs does no even have the respect of his teamates let alone the coaches. Now he's bringing up the Heisman? He dances, doesn't have great speed and CAN fumble. Why is his last year going to be different than his previous three? Cannot wait until Arian Foster, LeMarcus Coker or JaQouri Williams gets their shot.

last yr is history, Riggs needs to get his head on straight and step up, he can be the man if he wants it bad enough

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Apr 8, 2005 8:57 PM
BocaVol said it best. Riggs does no even have the respect of his teamates let alone the coaches. Now he's bringing up the Heisman? He dances, doesn't have great speed and CAN fumble. Why is his last year going to be different than his previous three? Cannot wait until Arian Foster, LeMarcus Coker or JaQouri Williams gets their shot.

think ur forgetting about yancey "SARGE".. :dlol:

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Apr 8, 2005 6:01 PM
well, he definetly showed signs of greatness last year. he dominated the sec championship and the cotton bowl.

first thing first though, stay healthy.
we really need him to be 100% to take this thing far this year.

another thing is the o-line. they have to be just as good this year. on their marks.

if we get behind in games, we will stay in the passing game. so staying in games is important. let riggs pound teams and let our d rest.

my only concern is his speed.

what is his 40? can he break away? can he take a pounding if we need him to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

and will fulmer let him play or just keep switching guys in and out.

i dont want a freaking heisman. we want national championships on rocky top.

that stupid heisman means nothing. they can keep that damn thing.

Ask Auburn if he has breakaway speed.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Apr 11, 2005 6:34 PM
the auburn game is the only time we have really seen it though.

He was about the ONLY thing that we saw in that Auburn game too. If Clausen would have had a stronger arm, we could have beat them...

VN Store

Back