RIP: Bill Walton

I didn't like him much when I was growing up.

Older I got, more I started to respect him.

Takes a formidable man to always do things his way-for good or bad.

RIP big guy.

I have a funny Bill Walton story. A few years ago, my college roommate from Tenn and I were attending the Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago and Bill was literary two rows in front of us. Then about 2 months later I was flying out of San Diego and was in the security line when the TSA motioned for me to come forward next. Right as I went to go forward, someone grabbed the back of my shirt stopping me.... I turned around and it was Bill Walton holding a "Handicap" pass and saying he could pass in front of me. I laughed and said out loud " Bill ... you are not fooling me. I just saw you dance all night in front of me at the Fare Thee Well show in Chicago! He then turned around and with a big smile and winked at me " lol

RIP from a fellow Deadhead...

"Goin' home. Goin' home, by the riverside I will rest my bones, listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul. --Brokendown Palace by the Grateful Dead

Walton was unique. I remember watching him call the Maui Classic a few years back and he would basically ignore the games, and just talk about whatever struck his fancy. LOL. He was eccentric .... but entertaining. RIP.
Walton was a hippie, a rebel..
But his respect for Coach John Wooden was sincere & deep. RIP, big man.

I knew something was up when he wasn't calling any games for the PAC 12 this year. I enjoyed his color commentary during the games while he had a straight man calling the play by play. You could tell he enjoyed it.... Cancer truly does suck... RIP big man.

Great basketball player, free spirit, huge personality. He was certainly wacky at times as a BB commentator, but at the same time
he was smart, knew his stuff and was always entertaining. Two collegiate titles, two NBA titles, MVPs, plus his son Luke won an NBA title; the man was good for the game. He was 21 for 22 in the '73 championship game against Memphis State. RIP.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I have a funny Bill Walton story. A few years ago, my college roommate from Tenn and I were attending the Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago and Bill was literary two rows in front of us. Then about 2 months later I was flying out of San Diego and was in the security line when the TSA motioned for me to come forward next. Right as I went to go forward, someone grabbed the back of my shirt stopping me.... I turned around and it was Bill Walton holding a "Handicap" pass and saying he could pass in front of me. I laughed and said out loud " Bill ... you are not fooling me. I just saw you dance all night in front of me at the Fare Thee Well show in Chicago! He then turned around and with a big smile and winked at me " lol

RIP from a fellow Deadhead...

"Goin' home. Goin' home, by the riverside I will rest my bones, listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul. --Brokendown Palace by the Grateful Dead
cool story, great lyrics

VN Store

Back