• College Football Hall of Fame - Class of 2006
  • Two-time All-America - 1969, 70
  • Three-time All-SEC - 1968, 69, 70
  • Two-time Jacobs Trophy (top blocker in the SEC) - 1969, 70
  • Three-time SEC shot put champion

rip,
mpre stunning news
saw him play numerous time withj my Dad on frequent trips home from school

One of my childhood heroes in the pantheon of Volunteer greats. A deep sadness to read of his passing, despite the joy he evidently brought to others throughout his life. Thank you for posting, @Savannahbayvol.

Reactions: ArdentVol

MARVIN WEST, the guy is simply the best. Chip Kell would be very proud of this tribute. If only Tennessee had a Chip Kell on the roster every year. Rest easy, Mr. Kell, I'm sure the Lord welcomed you home.

I knew Chip well and we played golf together and worked at T.I.M.E.-DC trucking lines on the dock in the summer.He had a 67 dark blue 396 SS and he would wax the firewall.He was (hard to say that )a good man with a fun sense of humor.I will miss"Roy" a lot.He had a picture of him after snapping for a punt against Kentucky-he had three players up in the air,one on each shoulder and one on his head.Some kind of strong.

Remember not only his playing days,but many years later sat behind him at Notre Dame game at night. Very personable. One of our VFL has breathed his last.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Was on the Hill during Chip's years. Met him a few times, nice guy and one big dude. Great Vol player.
AA at two positions.
Thanks Marvin. Great reporting as usual.
RIP

VN Store

Back