Road record vs all D1 baseball

bigeasy

Daily Beacon Mockingbird
I know this is probably telling a story that we all know, but I like looking at numbers and I think it is very interesting how awful our road record is. Especially when you compare it against all 305 D1 baseball teams. I was really hoping we were going to show up for the GA series and win it. But it is beginning to look like this team just doesn't have what it takes to win away from Knoxville.

Per the NCAA website we are ranked 26 out of 305. We currently are 2-11 on the road, or 15%. With home being 29-4 or an 88% win ratio.

-The next worst SEC team is Miss State at 31% or 4-9. They are ranked 57 in the nation per NCAA website
-We have the 18th worst road record out of the 305 teams
-There are only 4 other teams in the Top 100 with a road win % less than 25%
-Excluding our Vols, the average road win % for the Top 50 is 56%
-The average national ranking for the worst 25 road record teams is 247 (including our 26 ranking)

Have we just had bad matchups for away games? Are we just not a good team? I know people talk about our stadium being small, but wouldn't that benefit the away team as well? I never thought that home vs away would be that big of an advantage, but this year proves otherwise. It is hard to be optimistic about Hoover and a post season run.

We do have the 6th best home record. Behind Kent St, Wake Forest, Bryant, Arky, and USCjr

Last edited:
Arkansas
LSU
AZ teams in AZ
All good teams

Head scratcher Mizz (really 🥶)

Georgia 1-2 not a good lost series

This is correct - extremely tough away schedule and head scratchers against Mizz and Ga. We flip flop our Saturday and Sunday game pitching against Ga and we take the series. Teams like Ga scout our pitching staff and seemed to be looking for and feasting on fastballs that were up in the zone on Sunday.

It will be a new season for the SEC and NCAA tournaments. If we get hot - we could go a long way.

Reactions: Fatdad32
This is correct - extremely tough away schedule and head scratchers against Mizz and Ga. We flip flop our Saturday and Sunday game pitching against Ga and we take the series. Teams like Ga scout our pitching staff and seemed to be looking for and feasting on fastballs that were up in the zone on Sunday.

It will be a new season for the SEC and NCAA tournaments. If we get hot - we could go a long way.

The Missou series seems to have been a unique set of circumstances (a head scratcher), but UGA was a desperate team on the bubble who had previously swept Arkansas, so while disappointing, I don't consider that as much of a letdown.

Even the Raleigh and Serrano teams weren’t THIS bad on the road. In fact, you have to go all the way back to 1958 to find a UT baseball team with fewer road wins than this one.

IF we get to the CWS, we don't make it out of the first round. I love our guys, but we are terrible on the road. It seems I already said that elsewhere in this forum. I'll be surprised if we get a win in Hoover tbh.

Standing by for the inevitable negavol moniker that's inbound.

IF we get to the CWS, we don't make it out of the first round. I love our guys, but we are terrible on the road. It seems I already said that elsewhere in this forum. I'll be surprised if we get a win in Hoover tbh.

I'm confused by "we don't make it out of the first round of the CWS".

I'm confused by "we don't make it out of the first round of the CWS".
Probably doesn’t understand the NCAA format. Regionals: 16 pods of four. Super regionals: winners of the 16 pods. Cuts it to eight for the CWS. That should help him.

If we won't win a game on the road, how will we get to CWS? The only way we get to CWS is to win AT USC, AT Hoover, AT a Regional or at least Super Regional. The only way we get to CWS is to win in the process.

Tennessee’s road record is really skewed by that Missouri series. That was a series played in freezing weather before Tennessee got things going. Play that series even 2 weeks later and Tennessee takes 2 or 3. It was just a weird scenario.

Getting swept by the worst SEC team on the schedule really killed that road record. If Tennessee takes 2 in that series, the road record is 6-10 (18-12 overall in the SEC). Sweep and it’s 7-9 (19-11 overall in the SEC). Still wouldn’t have a .500 road record, but it’s more in line with what others have done and considering we had Arkansas and LSU both on the road, not terrible.

The SEC did everything they could to hurt Tennessee with the SEC schedule. Releasing one schedule, then putting out a “re-do” with a much tougher schedule for Tennessee was really suspicious to me. Then making Tennessee go to Columbia, MO the first weekend of conference play…hard not to think there was an agenda. Missouri should never play at home that first weekend.

Tennessee’s road record is really skewed by that Missouri series. That was a series played in freezing weather before Tennessee got things going. Play that series even 2 weeks later and Tennessee takes 2 or 3. It was just a weird scenario.

Getting swept by the worst SEC team on the schedule really killed that road record. If Tennessee takes 2 in that series, the road record is 6-10 (18-12 overall in the SEC). Sweep and it’s 7-9 (19-11 overall in the SEC). Still wouldn’t have a .500 road record, but it’s more in line with what others have done and considering we had Arkansas and LSU both on the road, not terrible.

The SEC did everything they could to hurt Tennessee with the SEC schedule. Releasing one schedule, then putting out a “re-do” with a much tougher schedule for Tennessee was really suspicious to me. Then making Tennessee go to Columbia, MO the first weekend of conference play…hard not to think there was an agenda. Missouri should never play at home that first weekend.

I dunno about all that, but had we won that series, Hoover wouldn’t matter much. We need to beat Tamu IMO.

VN Store

Back