Rolling Stones 200 All-Time Greatest Singers

evillawyer

Kung Fu Kamala, B*tches!
This list is complete BS

How does Nat King Cole go unranked? Dude had amazing pipes.

John Fogerty #118!?!! CCR was an absolute beast at its prime. And two spots ahead of him is ... Chet Baker. Give me a break.

Not my style, but Taylor Swift at #102 is way too low for her success.

Usher ahead of Bob Marley!?!?

85 people better than Michael Jackson? What a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEPPERJAX
HORRIBLE. Eddie Vedder at 105 and well below Kurt Cobain is a joke. Steve Perry at 82 is a travesty. And Ariana Grande over both should be a felony. And no mention of Bruce Dickinson is even worse.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
HORRIBLE. Eddie Vedder at 105 and well below Kurt Cobain is a joke. Steve Perry at 82 is a travesty. And Ariana Grande over both should be a felony. And no mention of Bruce Dickinson is even worse.

Give me Cobain all day over Vedder. I don't get the appeal of his singing style. It seems like Scott Stapp parody.

Last edited:
Reactions: happy-go_vol

Haha.

I will say I don't dislike Pearl Jam. I had an album (Ten?) when I was a kid and played it out. I think the songs are really good. I think they were an important band. But give me one Pearl Jam song and then shuffle the playlist to somebody else.

Reactions: Godfatha
Haha.

I will say I don't dislike Pearl Jam. I had an album (Ten?) when I was a kid and played it out. I think the songs are really good. I think they were an important band. But give me one Pearl Jam song and then shuffle the playlist to somebody else.
Ten was a great album, and I played the heck out of it. But I can also see the viewpoint of people who don't like Pearl Jam.

Also, Bob Dylan. I understand he's a great songwriter but I would never consider him a great vocalist or singer.

I don't think we're supposed to look at the list like the voices are technically the most talented and beautiful, etc. I think we're supposed to be considering uniqueness, how it sounded with the music and gave the lyrics power/emotion, etc.

Dylan is not a talented singer, but nobody else can sing Mr. Bojangles and give it the same vibe. Jimmy Hendrix's All Along the Watch Tower is a much better recording, but I still listen to the Dylan version because it doesn't even feel like the same song. And that's how it is with just about everything people cover from Dylan.

Give me Cobain all day over Vedder. I don't get the appeal of his singing style. It seems like Scott Stapp parody.

Vedder is an amazing singer. Scott Stapp wishes he could sing like Eddie. Not even close. PJ is underrated and 1000000x better than Nirvana.

Reactions: rev_greg
Vedder is an amazing singer. Scott Stapp wishes he could sing like Eddie. Not even close. PJ is underrated and 1000000x better than Nirvana.

They have exactly the same voice, they just sing with a little different style. I would say Eddie Vedder is one of the easiest rock voices to imitate* and there is nothing actually special about it, except that he is the innovator who came up with a style that appeals to a large swath of people.

*who can do a Kurt Cobain impression and who can't do a Vedder impression?

Reactions: happy-go_vol
It's a joke. Nobody will remember that clown in 5 years.

So wait, the guy who complained about Michael Jackson only being 85 has a problem with his musical godson making the list? They have basically the same voice and range.

You don't have to like him, but the idea that he'll be forgotten anytime soon is absurd. He's won 4 grammy awards starting in 2015 and last year "Blinding Lights" was at the top of Billboard's hot 100 longer than any other song in history. So he's already had a very impressive 8+ year run.

So wait, the guy who complained about Michael Jackson only being 85 has a problem with his musical godson making the list? They have basically the same voice and range.

You don't have to like him, but the idea that he'll be forgotten anytime soon is absurd. He's won 4 grammy awards starting in 2015 and last year "Blinding Lights" was at the top of Billboard's hot 100 longer than any other song in history. So he's already had a very impressive 8+ year run.

They don't have the same range or voice.

I don't think we're supposed to look at the list like the voices are technically the most talented and beautiful, etc. I think we're supposed to be considering uniqueness, how it sounded with the music and gave the lyrics power/emotion, etc.

Dylan is not a talented singer, but nobody else can sing Mr. Bojangles and give it the same vibe. Jimmy Hendrix's All Along the Watch Tower is a much better recording, but I still listen to the Dylan version because it doesn't even feel like the same song. And that's how it is with just about everything people cover from Dylan.

Several times we have watched a movie, and I watch the credits at the end to see who performed some of the music in it. Often the song I was interested was written by Dylan.
We went to see him in Nashville about 5? years ago, and the tickets were sold out almost as soon as they were available. Wasn't gonna go, but I was near the venue and went by. I was shocked when the lady sold me seats about 10-12 rows from the stage in the center of the aisle. The acoustics were perfect. Wife sat next to Steven Tyler. I sat next to a guy who had seen him 39 times.
Dylan comes on stage and never says a word. Just performs then leaves.
I only recognized about 25% of the songs he sang.

Several times we have watched a movie, and I watch the credits at the end to see who performed some of the music in it. Often the song I was interested was written by Dylan.
We went to see him in Nashville about 5? years ago, and the tickets were sold out almost as soon as they were available. Wasn't gonna go, but I was near the venue and went by. I was shocked when the lady sold me seats about 10-12 rows from the stage in the center of the aisle. The acoustics were perfect. Wife sat next to Steven Tyler. I sat next to a guy who had seen him 39 times.
Dylan comes on stage and never says a word. Just performs then leaves.
I only recognized about 25% of the songs he sang.

Yeah, my Dad has seen him like 8x and 3 of the concerts were great. The other 5 were just BD going through the motions.

VN Store

Back