Roster Management: Best Guess for 2024

NighthawkVol

Obviously, it being December 2, there are a lot of projections in here. So I'm guessing about who leaves and who returns. A few notes:

-The guys in italics are freshmen. For the most part, I put them at the bottom of the depth chart. The two recruits I'm projecting to add, I put in green italics.

-I tacked the freshmen to the bottom of the depth chart for the most part because that's where they'll all start out. Obviously, that's not where many of them will be come opening day.

-I listed guys who are possible departures, either via the portal, NFL entry, or just walking away. I am not saying all of these guys will leave. Obviously, we already know about Burrell and Clipper.

-You can tell which ones I'm projecting to leave and which I'm projecting to come back by who is and isn't on my depth chart below.

-I inserted <PORTAL> in places where I think UT will look to add someone from the portal and where that guy will fit on the depth chart if he's what we need. I made that <PORTAL/JUCO> on the DLine because there's a good chance that we add 1 or 2 JUCOs in lieu of a portal guy.

-Obviously, the portal needs are fluid based on who comes back. For instance, I have Bru coming back. But if he doesn't come back, that's another portal need at WR (so instead of 1 portal WE, we need 2).

-I put Boo on offense. Some of y'all are gonna be mad. ;) But I also understand that he very well may play Safety instead. Just might opinion at the moment.

Departure Possibilities (definites in bold): John Campbell, DeSean Bishop, Tyler Baron, Wesley Walker, Omar Norman-Lott, Cooper Mays, Jaylen Wright, Javontez Spraggins, Jabari Small, Bru McCoy, Jackson Lampley, Warren Burrell, Gabe Jeudy-Lally, De’Shawn Rucker, Jayson Jenkins, Brandon Turnage, Christian Harrison, Christian Charles, Maurice Clipper, Masai Reddick, Larry Johnson, III, Brian Grant, Jalen Smith, Jack Luttrell, Nate Spillman

Lineup with Likely Departures and Additions

QB- Nico Iamaleava (So.), Jake Merklinger (Fr.)

RB- Dylan Sampson (Jr.), Jabari Small (Sr.), Cameron Seldon (So.), Khalifa Keith (RSFr.), Peyton Lewis (Fr.)

WR- Dont’e Thornton (Sr.), Kaleb Webb (RSSo.), Nathan Leacock (RSFr.)

WR- Bru McCoy (RSSr.), <PORTAL>, Mike Matthews (Fr.), Braylon Staley (Fr.)

WR- Squirrel White (Jr.), Chas Nimrod (RSSo.), Boo Carter (Fr.)

TE- Ethan Davis (RSFr.), <PORTAL>, Emmanuel Okoye (RSFr.), Jonathan Echols (Fr.)

RT- <PORTAL>, Shamurad Umarov (RSFr.), Larry Johnson, III (RSJr.), Jordan Seaton (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Addison Nichols (RSSo.), Ayden Bussell (RSFr.), Gage Ginther (Fr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Sr.), Vysen Lang (RSFr.), William Satterwhite (Fr.)

LG- <PORTAL>, Andrej Karic (Jr.), Max Anderson (Fr.)

LT- Gerald Mincey (RSSr.), Brian Grant (RSSo.), Bennett Warren (Fr.), Jesse Perry (Fr.)

SDE- Dominic Bailey (RSSr.), <PORTAL/JUCO>, Tyre West (Jr.), Nathan Robinson (RSFr.), Carson Gentle (Fr.), Kellen Lindstrom (Fr.)

DT- Bryson Eason (RSSr.), <PORTAL/JUCO>, Daevin Hobbs (So.), Tyree Weathersby (RSFr.), Trevor Duncan (RSFr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (Sr.), Elijah Simmons (RSSr.), Jeremias Heard (Fr.)

LEO- James Pearce (Jr.), Joshua Josephs (Jr.), Caleb Herring (RSFr.), Chandavian Bradley (RSFr.), Jordan Ross (Fr.)

MIKE- Keenan Pili (RSSr.), Jeremiah Telendar (So.), Elijah Herring (Jr.), Edwin Spillman (Fr.)

WLB- Arion Carter (So.), Kaleb Perry (Jr.), Jalen Smith (RSFr.), Jordan Burns (Fr.)

LCB- Gabe Jeudy-Lally (RSSr.), <PORTAL>, Kaleb Beasley (Fr.)

RCB- Rickey Gibson (RSFr.), <PORTAL>, Jordan Matthews (RSFr.)

NB- Jourdan Thomas (Jr.), Christian Conyer (RSFr.), Marcus Goree (Fr.)

S- Tamarion McDonald (Sr.), Andre Turrentine (RSJr.), Jaren Sensabaugh (Fr.)

S- <PORTAL>, Doneiko Slaughter (Sr.), John Slaughter (RSFr.), Edrees Farooq (Fr.)

K- JT Carver (RSJr.)*

P- Jackson Ross (RSSo.)

*non-scholarship

74 on scholarship, max of 83 with sanctions

Provides room for 9 portal/JUCO:

1 TE

2 OL (1 OT, 1 OG)

2 DL (1 DT, 1 SDE)

3 DB (2 CB, 1 S)

1 WR

The line of scrimmage is always important regardless of the offense scheme being run. We are veteran heavy on the OL this year (a good thing) so it’s a concern that we will be too young and inexperienced next year.

Just looking at scholarship players Heupel’s staff has brought in, we’ll have four redshirt freshman and three redshirt sophomores going into the spring barring any additional transfers out. We should also have two returning upperclassmen transfers each with another year of eligibility. Thats 10 scholarship OL signed by Heupel’s staff going into spring practice. We definitely need some of the older guys to opt in for an extra year so he youngsters can grow.

—————————————————————————————————————————

We signed 4 OL in last year’s recruiting class (2023). True freshmen Shamurad Umarov and Vysen Lang (OT) both played in 3 games as did JUCO transfer Larry Johnson III (OT). Ayden Bussell (IOL) did not appear in any games. All 4 should be able to redshirt.

We signed 5 OL in the 2022 recruiting class. Redshirt freshman Addison Nichols (OT) played in all 12 games, redshirt freshman Brian Grant (OT) played in 11 games, redshirt freshman Masai Reddick (OT) played in 10 games, and redshirt freshman Mo Clipper Jr (IOL) played in 5 games and has entered the transfer portal.. Savion Herring (IOL) left the program after the 2022 season.

OL Transfers last two classes

Picked up Andrej Karic (IOL) from Texas last year and he started at LG in the first five games before being injured. He has another year of eligibility.

Picked up Gerald Mincey (OT) from Florida in 2022. He has started/subbed at the tackle spot for 2 seasons and has another year of eligibility.

John Campbell was a great pickup at OT last year but I don’t think he has any eligibility remaining or if he does, probably heads to the NFL.

2024 Class

The 2024 class will begin signing in about 3 weeks. We have commitments from 5 OL and are still in the mix for the nations #2 overall OL (Jordan Seaton). Three of the five commitments are blue chip (4 star) and come in with the size and skills to be in the mix but hopefully we can again redshirt the entire group and continue to build depth. Seaton would be an extremely good pickup as he is one of the rare guys who could play OL as a true freshman in the SEC.

Obviously, it being December 2, there are a lot of projections in here. So I'm guessing about who leaves and who returns. A few notes:

-The guys in italics are freshmen. For the most part, I put them at the bottom of the depth chart. The two recruits I'm projecting to add, I put in green italics.

-I tacked the freshmen to the bottom of the depth chart for the most part because that's where they'll all start out. Obviously, that's not where many of them will be come opening day.

-I listed guys who are possible departures, either via the portal, NFL entry, or just walking away. I am not saying all of these guys will leave. Obviously, we already know about Burrell and Clipper.

-You can tell which ones I'm projecting to leave and which I'm projecting to come back by who is and isn't on my depth chart below.

-I inserted <PORTAL> in places where I think UT will look to add someone from the portal and where that guy will fit on the depth chart if he's what we need. I made that <PORTAL/JUCO> on the DLine because there's a good chance that we add 1 or 2 JUCOs in lieu of a portal guy.

-Obviously, the portal needs are fluid based on who comes back. For instance, I have Bru coming back. But if he doesn't come back, that's another portal need at WR (so instead of 1 portal WE, we need 2).

-I put Boo on offense. Some of y'all are gonna be mad. ;) But I also understand that he very well may play Safety instead. Just might opinion at the moment.

Departure Possibilities (definites in bold): John Campbell, DeSean Bishop, Tyler Baron, Wesley Walker, Omar Norman-Lott, Cooper Mays, Jaylen Wright, Javontez Spraggins, Jabari Small, Bru McCoy, Jackson Lampley, Warren Burrell, Gabe Jeudy-Lally, De’Shawn Rucker, Jayson Jenkins, Brandon Turnage, Christian Harrison, Christian Charles, Maurice Clipper, Masai Reddick, Larry Johnson, III, Brian Grant, Jalen Smith, Jack Luttrell, Nate Spillman

RB- Dylan Sampson (Jr.), Jabari Small (Sr.), Cameron Seldon (So.), Khalifa Keith (RSFr.), Peyton Lewis (Fr.)

TE- Ethan Davis (RSFr.), <PORTAL>, Emmanuel Okoye (RSFr.), Jonathan Echols (Fr.)

RT- <PORTAL>, Shamurad Umarov (RSFr.), Larry Johnson, III (RSJr.), Jordan Seaton (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Addison Nichols (RSSo.), Ayden Bussell (RSFr.), Gage Ginther (Fr.)

LT- Gerald Mincey (RSSr.), Brian Grant (RSSo.), Bennett Warren (Fr.), Jesse Perry (Fr.)

SDE- Dominic Bailey (RSSr.), <PORTAL/JUCO>, Tyre West (Jr.), Nathan Robinson (RSFr.), Carson Gentle (Fr.), Kellen Lindstrom (Fr.)

DT- Bryson Eason (RSSr.), <PORTAL/JUCO>, Daevin Hobbs (So.), Tyree Weathersby (RSFr.), Trevor Duncan (RSFr.)

LEO- James Pearce (Jr.), Joshua Josephs (Jr.), Caleb Herring (RSFr.), Chandavian Bradley (RSFr.), Jordan Ross (Fr.)

MIKE- Keenan Pili (RSSr.), Jeremiah Telendar (So.), Elijah Herring (Jr.), Edwin Spillman (Fr.)

WLB- Arion Carter (So.), Kaleb Perry (Jr.), Jalen Smith (RSFr.), Jordan Burns (Fr.)

S- <PORTAL>, Doneiko Slaughter (Sr.), John Slaughter (RSFr.), Edrees Farooq (Fr.)

K- JT Carver (RSJr.)*

P- Jackson Ross (RSSo.)

*non-scholarship

1 TE

2 OL (1 OT, 1 OG)

2 DL (1 DT, 1 SDE)

3 DB (2 CB, 1 S)

1 WR=

I agree with this OP........sure hope we can get a couple seniors opting back in. If not, I hope we can find a few "diamonds in the rough" or grade A transfer players looking for immediate playing time at DB and OL. I think Heupel has a few transfer commits he'll roll out after next week when championship week is over🤞

The line of scrimmage is always important regardless of the offense scheme being run. We are veteran heavy on the OL this year (a good thing) so it’s a concern that we will be too young and inexperienced next year.

Just looking at scholarship players Heupel’s staff has brought in, we’ll have four redshirt freshman and three redshirt sophomores going into the spring barring any additional transfers out. We should also have two returning upperclassmen transfers each with another year of eligibility. Thats 10 scholarship OL signed by Heupel’s staff going into spring practice. We definitely need some of the older guys to opt in for an extra year so he youngsters can grow.

—————————————————————————————————————————

We signed 4 OL in last year’s recruiting class (2023). True freshmen Shamurad Umarov and Vysen Lang (OT) both played in 3 games as did JUCO transfer Larry Johnson III (OT). Ayden Bussell (IOL) did not appear in any games. All 4 should be able to redshirt.

We signed 5 OL in the 2022 recruiting class. Redshirt freshman Addison Nichols (OT) played in all 12 games, redshirt freshman Brian Grant (OT) played in 11 games, redshirt freshman Masai Reddick (OT) played in 10 games, and redshirt freshman Mo Clipper Jr (IOL) played in 5 games and has entered the transfer portal.. Savion Herring (IOL) left the program after the 2022 season.

OL Transfers last two classes

Picked up Andrej Karic (IOL) from Texas last year and he started at LG in the first five games before being injured. He has another year of eligibility.

Picked up Gerald Mincey (OT) from Florida in 2022. He has started/subbed at the tackle spot for 2 seasons and has another year of eligibility.

John Campbell was a great pickup at OT last year but I don’t think he has any eligibility remaining or if he does, probably heads to the NFL.

2024 Class

The 2024 class will begin signing in about 3 weeks. We have commitments from 5 OL and are still in the mix for the nations #2 overall OL (Jordan Seaton). Three of the five commitments are blue chip (4 star) and come in with the size and skills to be in the mix but hopefully we can again redshirt the entire group and continue to build depth. Seaton would be an extremely good pickup as he is one of the rare guys who could play OL as a true freshman in the SEC.
You have quite a few guys as OTs who are not.
Vysen Lang is a Center.
Reddick is a Guard.
Nichols is a Guard.

But yes, good analysis. If Mincey, Mays, and Spraggins all return as I expect, that’s a good veteran core to bridge the development of young guys.

K- JT Carver (RSJr.)*

P- Jackson Ross (RSSo.)

*non-scholarship

1 TE

2 OL (1 OT, 1 OG)

2 DL (1 DT, 1 SDE)

3 DB (2 CB, 1 S)

1 WR
Nice. Still needs some work. Players out of position a bit.
- Switch McDonald and j thomas.
- I think sham probably starts next year at either LG or RT.
- WRs kinda outta whack. Nimrod does not play slot, will back up bru. I don’t think spillman is gone yet with his lil bro incoming.
- I’d be shocked if big o stayed, Jabari small too (think bishop stays though).
- I don’t see Jayson Jenkins or jack luttrell leaving yet.
- I think Norman Lott stays.
- Addison nichols could be on that possible departure list, as opposed to reddick. Think reddick backs up spraggins.
- Very possible Larry Johnson 3 leaves. Dane Davis probably stays, don’t see him in your list.
- I think we take a portal qb to back up Nico.

- WRs kinda outta whack. Nimrod does not play slot, will back up bru. I don’t think spillman is gone yet with his lil bro incoming.
- Addison nichols could be on that possible departure list, as opposed to reddick. Think reddick backs up spraggins.
- Very possible Larry Johnson 3 leaves. Dane Davis probably stays, don’t see him in your list.
-There has been a lot of talk that McDonald and Slaughter move to Safety next year. More natural positions for both.
-I have a hard time seeing Sham at G at 6’7”, but regardless, I hope a portal guy starts over him.
-Nimrod played both inside and outside this year, but he’s better suited for slot, given his slight stature. He’ll start on the outside if Bru leaves, but if Bru returns, Nimrod is in the slot, IMO.
-If Jabari leaves, he’s retiring from football. Bishop is taking up a scholarship when they’re at a premium. He should go somewhere else and get on the field. Omari is a tough call, but he’s not projected high in the draft, and he loves Knoxville. I lean towards him staying.
-I had Norman-Lott coming back until he opted out of the Vandy game. That was weird. It wasn’t for injury. He just opted out. That tells me he’s leaving. And if he isn’t, do we want a guy back who just decides when he is and isn’t playing?
-Nichols is ahead of Reddick on the depth chart, so that’s why I think Nichols is more likely to stay.
-Would love a portal QB for depth. I just don’t know how you get a guy who is leaving one school to come be your backup.
-Jenkins and Luttrell may return. But they need to go.

why speculate boo carter too the offense when we already know that we recruited him to play defensive back

Reactions: Smokey19rt
So basically this is opinionated guesswork from watching vols on TV and means nothing?

How much money are you paying for your subscription??? Ohhh yeah, it’s a free message board, and secondly you saw the thread title and chose to hit the clicky thing. And then you clicked it again to throw shade at someone for offering their opinion on a day the Vols aren’t playing and we’re all bored?

So basically this is opinionated guesswork from watching vols on TV and means nothing?
It’s opinionated guesswork (which one could easily determine by the phrase “best guess” in the title) based on watching the Vols in person, on TV, talking to a few folks around the program, and listening to/reading reports from guys like Hubbs, Price, Rucker, Ramey, Callahan, etc. You’re welcome to participate or to ignore it.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
-There has been a lot of talk that McDonald and Slaughter move to Safety next year. More natural positions for both. I have not seen this for McDonald. Link?
-I have a hard time seeing Sham at G at 6’7”, but regardless, I hope a portal guy starts over him. He worked there in fall camp. Didnt notice where he played this season if he even got pt. I’m excited about sham and think he will start next year, either by leapfrogging Karic or getting the nod at RT if we can’t get a premier OT in the portal.
-Nimrod played both inside and outside this year, but he’s better suited for slot, given his slight stature. He’s got the exact same measurables as Webb. I thought he played pretty big on the outside in Brus place. He’ll start on the outside if Bru leaves, but if Bru returns, Nimrod is in the slot, IMO.
-If Jabari leaves, he’s retiring from football. Disagree. I think he might go somewhere to be the feature back for a season. Maybe be on a nfl practice squad or similar for a couple seasons. If not for Sampson, he’d start for us next year.Bishop is taking up a scholarship when they’re at a premium. He should go somewhere else and get on the field. He played a good bit in the spring game before getting injured. Omari is a tough call, but he’s not projected high in the draft he’s not? That’s shocking. How do you know this?, and he loves Knoxville. I lean towards him staying.
-I had Norman-Lott coming back until he opted out of the Vandy game. That was weird. It wasn’t for injury. He just opted out. That tells me he’s leaving. And if he isn’t, do we want a guy back who just decides when he is and isn’t playing? How did I not hear about this?
-Nichols is ahead of Reddick on the depth chart, so that’s why I think Nichols is more likely to stay. I think Nichols has been more physically ready but the staff likes reddick more from a player mentality, at least that seems to be the rhetoric I’ve perceived. They both should be the second string guards unless we bring in another transfer.
-Would love a portal QB for depth. I just don’t know how you get a guy who is leaving one school to come be your backup. Ole miss did it with Spencer sanders. There’s plenty of guys who don’t have a career in football and just want to be somewhere they can be a part of something, maybe leverage connections into a GA gig.
-Jenkins and Luttrell may return. But they need to go. Jenkins has gotten some work. He was a project from the beginning. Think they still like him. I could see luttrell go if someone comes calling and convinces him he can start somewhere, but he’s pretty bonded to this team and I expect him to get extensive special teams work next year. That’s usually enough to keep someone (not a high profile guy) around if they think it will earn them positional playing time.

John Slaughter is a difference maker whenever the staff wants to realize it. Bishop is overlooked and will be a legacy when his time on the Hill is done. Nichols has been the whipping boy for our talking head yentas. He’s a starter in another season. No decent quarterback on another team signs on to backup our Golden Child. Qualify all of this as my OPINIONated takes/predictions and save yourself the time of trying to change my mind. 😏

K- JT Carver (RSJr.)*

P- Jackson Ross (RSSo.)

*non-scholarship

1 TE

2 OL (1 OT, 1 OG)

2 DL (1 DT, 1 SDE)

3 DB (2 CB, 1 S)

1 WR
Boo Carter is a DB.

Awesome post

How likely is Bru returning? Any news lately?

Leo is loaded with 4/5 stars. Is it the natural of this position requires lots of rotation, or something else? Can they be repurposed into other positions? If not, some of them going to leave

This looks scarily thin. For those defending Martinez/Banks, what would you say?

You have quite a few guys as OTs who are not.
Vysen Lang is a Center.
Reddick is a Guard.
Nichols is a Guard.

But yes, good analysis. If Mincey, Mays, and Spraggins all return as I expect, that’s a good veteran core to bridge the development of young guys.

Thanks...I just used the recruiting position and obviously they do get moved around. Man we need a Bob Johnson recruit to come be an AA Center....

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Awesome post

How likely is Bru returning? Any news lately?

Leo is loaded with 4/5 stars. Is it the natural of this position requires lots of rotation, or something else? Can they be repurposed into other positions? If not, some of them going to leave

This looks scarily thin. For those defending Martinez/Banks, what would you say?
That’s why we need some good portal guys there. We also need the 2023 freshmen (Gibson, Matthews, Conyer) to develop.

You were right and I was wrong on Nichols/Reddick. Hope you’re also right and I’m wrong on Norman-Lott.

VN Store

Back