Rutherford county children frequently jailed for too long, or for charges that don't exist

AshG

Easy target
Black Children Were Jailed for a Crime That Doesn’t Exist. Almost Nothing Happened to the Adults in Charge. — ProPublica

"The following year, Rutherford County violated federal law 191 times by keeping kids locked up too long, according to a story later published by The Tennessean. By law, children held for such minor acts as truancy were to appear before a judge within 24 hours and be released no more than a day after that. The newspaper interviewed Davenport, who estimated half those violations occurred because a kid had cursed her or someone else. For cursing, she said, she typically sentenced kids to two to 10 days in jail. “Was I in violation?” she said. “Heck, yes. But am I going to allow a child to cuss anyone out? Heck, no.”

Black Children Were Jailed for a Crime That Doesn’t Exist. Almost Nothing Happened to the Adults in Charge. — ProPublica

"The following year, Rutherford County violated federal law 191 times by keeping kids locked up too long, according to a story later published by The Tennessean. By law, children held for such minor acts as truancy were to appear before a judge within 24 hours and be released no more than a day after that. The newspaper interviewed Davenport, who estimated half those violations occurred because a kid had cursed her or someone else. For cursing, she said, she typically sentenced kids to two to 10 days in jail. “Was I in violation?” she said. “Heck, yes. But am I going to allow a child to cuss anyone out? Heck, no.”
Judge should be removed from the bench

Blatant wrong-doing on the part of cops, judicial commissioners, administrators, and a judge and the only real consequences fell on the shoulders of the Rutherford County taxpayers.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Tried to find the judge’s political affiliation but couldn’t. But, she’s most likely a Republican after reading her comments regarding doing “God’s work” or whatever it was. Just another religious zealot who isn’t content to leave her faith at home.

Tried to find the judge’s political affiliation but couldn’t. But, she’s most likely a Republican after reading her comments regarding doing “God’s work” or whatever it was. Just another religious zealot who isn’t content to leave her faith at home.

Party affiliation has nothing to do with one's bent towards being a racist moron.

And I agree that her claims of doing "God's work* should have been a red flag to the voters, especially when it results in easily documented red flag numbers. But, hey; didn't you get the memo? God likes who we like and God hates who we hate. How cool is that?

Reactions: clarksvol00

VN Store

Back