Sagarin Ratings Roundup YEEHAW!

DiderotsGhost

Since FPI gets posted here a lot, here are the Sagarin Ratings.

I have the overall rating on the left and the "Recent Score" in parenthesis. FPI is posted at the end for comparison.
Future opponents highlighted in bold + italics

Sagarin (Recent) / FPI

1. Texas (1) / 1
2. Georgia (6) / 4
3. Alabama (2) / 2
5. Ole Miss (3) / 6
6. Tennessee (5) / 5

13. Oklahoma (17) / 17
14. LSU (21) / 19
20. Mizzou (24) / 13
22. Texas A&M (23) / 18
25. Kentucky (26) / 38

26. South Carolina (27) / 29
32. Auburn (36) / 34
36. Florida (41) / 39
38. Arkansas (30) / 23

69. NC State (80) / 80

79. Vanderbilt (72) / 54
80. Miss State (82) / 72

151. Chattanooga (151) / NA
154. UTEP (153) / 129
203. Kent State (214) / 134

Our Vols

I honestly think #6 is about right. Our D has been elite (FPI has us as #1 on defensive efficiency), but the offense has struggled enough that I wouldn't put us above the 5 teams above us at this point in the season. FPI has us at #5 and Massey has us at #4. Based on what I've seen so far, I think it's a toss-up between us and Ole Miss for #5.

Arkansas

Arky game is going to be tougher than many expect. Sagarin only has them at #38, but FPI has them at #23 and I do think they are a top 25 team. Game will be in Fayetteville. Our one big advantage is that we get a bye week to prepare, whereas they'll have another important game against Texas A&M the week before.

Florida

I'm actually surprised Florida is rated this high on Sagarin and FPI. Feels like they'd be lower. Visually, I honestly have felt like Vanderbilt has looked better than them this year. Of course, they always play like a top 5 team the week they play us but I'd be a bit embarrassed to lose to them this year.

Alabama

Don't care if Saban is not there - this is going to be a very difficult game. Bama looks like a legit national title contender alongside of Texas, Georgia, and Ohio State right now.

Kentucky

Honestly, the most difficult SEC team to get a read on right now. Looked absolutely god-awful against South Carolina, then looked like they should've beat Georgia.

Kent State

Kent State might actually be one of the worst teams we've played this century. Sagarin, which includes all the FCS teams, has them all the way down at #203. They'd be predicted to lose to teams like Wofford, Kennesaw State, Princeton, and Gardner-Webb. And remember, Kent State is I-A (FBS), but they'd still be a losing team in I-AA right now.

NC State

I thought they were at least top 30'ish at the beginning of the season, but now it's becoming clear that win doesn't mean as much as we thought. Sagarin has them all the way down at #69 and their recent score says they will trend further down (#80). FPI also has them at #80. Yikes! Tough year for Tuffy!

Oklahoma

Maybe the NC State win looks less great now, but the Oklahoma win on the road looks very good on our resume. That's probably the 3rd toughest team we face all year.

Mizzou

We don't play Mizzou this year, but they seem like the team the quant polls are most divided on. Sagarin has them all the way down at #20 (and their recent score is #24), while FPI still has them at #13. Massey has them at #18. But basically, all the quant polls think they human pollsters are overrating them.

Last edited:
Since FPI gets posted here a lot, here are the Sagarin Ratings.

I have the overall rating on the left and the "Recent Score" in parenthesis. FPI is posted at the end for comparison.
Future opponents highlighted in bold + italics

Sagarin (Recent) / FPI

1. Texas (1) / 1
2. Georgia (6) / 4
3. Alabama (2) / 2
5. Ole Miss (3) / 6
6. Tennessee (5) / 5

13. Oklahoma (17) / 17
14. LSU (21) / 19
20. Mizzou (24) / 13
22. Texas A&M (23) / 18
25. Kentucky (26) / 38

26. South Carolina (27) / 29
32. Auburn (36) / 34
36. Florida (41) / 39
38. Arkansas (30) / 23

69. NC State (80) / 80

79. Vanderbilt (72) / 54
80. Miss State (82) / 72

151. Chattanooga (151) / NA
154. UTEP (153) / 129
203. Kent State (214) / 134

Our Vols

I honestly think #6 is about right. Our D has been elite (FPI has us as #1 on defensive efficiency), but the offense has struggled enough that I wouldn't put us above the 5 teams above us at this point in the season. FPI has us at #5 and Massey has us at #4. Based on what I've seen so far, I think it's a toss-up between us and Ole Miss for #5.

Arkansas

Arky game is going to be tougher than many expect. Sagarin only has them at #38, but FPI has them at #23 and I do think they are a top 25 team. Game will be in Fayetteville. Our one big advantage is that we get a bye week to prepare, whereas they'll have another important game against Texas A&M the week before.

Florida

I'm actually surprised Florida is rated this high on Sagarin and FPI. Feels like they'd be lower. Visually, I honestly have felt like Vanderbilt has looked better than them this year. Of course, they always play like a top 5 team the week they play us but I'd be a bit embarrassed to lose to them this year.

Alabama

Don't care if Saban is not there - this is going to be a very difficult game. Bama looks like a legit national title contender alongside of Texas, Georgia, and Ohio State right now.

Kentucky

Honestly, the most difficult SEC team to get a read on right now. Looked absolutely god-awful against South Carolina, then looked like they should've beat Georgia.

Kent State

Kent State might actually be one of the worst teams we've played this century. Sagarin, which includes all the FCS teams, has them all the way down at #203. They'd be predicted to lose to teams like Wofford, Kennesaw State, Princeton, and Gardner-Webb. And remember, Kent State is I-A (FBS), but they'd still be a losing team in I-AA right now.

NC State

I thought they were at least top 30'ish at the beginning of the season, but now it's becoming clear that win doesn't mean as much as we thought. Sagarin has them all the way down at #69 and their recent score says they will trend further down (#80). FPI also has them at #80. Yikes! Tough year for Tuffy!

Oklahoma

Maybe the NC State win looks less great now, but the Oklahoma win on the road looks very good on our resume. That's probably the 3rd toughest team we face all year.

Mizzou

We don't play Mizzou this year, but they seem like the team the quant polls are most divided on. Sagarin has them all the way down at #20 (and their recent score is #24), while FPI still has them at #13. Massey has them at #18. But basically, all the quant polls think they human pollsters are overrating them.
3-3-5 defenses are hard on all offenes that like to throw, their DL managed our rushing attack pretty good. OU has the athletes to cover UT's WRs. Does everyone have that level of talent? Nope

Bye week couldn’t have come at a better time. I don’t want to get insulting to any player but we have to get healthy at that tackle position. Nico getting blindsided twice in a game is unacceptable and made this much closer than it should’ve been.

I remember send an email to Sagarin about the Vols near the end of the 98' season where he had them OUT of the natty game due to his algorithm. Seemed like his rating actually factored into the BCS ratio in those days
He actually replied and explained and we had a little dialogue @ it for a while. Pretty cool for the huy to do that with a fan. Glad he still has the rating going.

I remember send an email to Sagarin about the Vols near the end of the 98' season where he had them OUT of the natty game due to his algorithm. Seemed like his rating actually factored into the BCS ratio in those days
He actually replied and explained and we had a little dialogue @ it for a while. Pretty cool for the huy to do that with a fan. Glad he still has the rating going.
I feel like it was one of those things where the NCAA embraced quant polls before they became more refined and then people hated them for 2 decades. They are so much better than the human pollsters at this point.

Sagarin and FPI are the two best IMO. I like that Sagarin has all the I-AA teams as well and has multiple scores. I'd probably take FPI just a slight bit above Sagarin, though.

Probably some good lesser known ones out there, too.

VN Store

Back