Scholarship Management

HooahVol

I have a couple of questions here. I know FBS football teams are allowed 85 scholarship players. I also realize we have a scholarship reduction of 28 through the 5 year probationary period thanks to Pruitt. Does that mean we have about 80 scholarships available? How many have we filled for 2024? Do the 12 COVID seniors count toward our scholarship number?

I have a couple of questions here. I know FBS football teams are allowed 85 scholarship players. I also realize we have a scholarship reduction of 28 through the 5 year probationary period thanks to Pruitt. Does that mean we have about 80 scholarships available? How many have we filled for 2024? Do the 12 COVID seniors count toward our scholarship number?
UT used several of the scholarships in CJH first 2 seasons at UT. I believe I read that UT has to forfeit 10 more over the next 5 years. A minimum of 2 forfeited each year. So UT would be able to use a max of 83 over the next 5 years.

Covid seniors do count toward the 85 max now. UT currently stands at 84 with all the 2024 signing class included. So they will have to lose at least one scholarship player by the start of Fall semester. If they add any more transfers .. then they have to lose another current scholarship player for each transfer added.

Thank you so much. So one spot if Harbaugh leaves to pick up a player. I guess we better make it count.

CoVid Seniors, commonly referenced as “Super Seniors”, do count against the 85 limit.
LWSVol maintains a helpful file that is pinned at the top of VolNation’s Recruiting Forum. It’s been a very fluid #, but he currently lists 84 scholarship guys for 2024. He notes 6 of the guys won’t arrive to campus until this Summer (after finishing academic requirements at their high schools or junior college).
UT “front loaded” scholarship reductions in 2021 and 2022. We only need to AVERAGE a reduction of approx 2 scholarships per year below 85 for the next (I believe) 4 years to achieve the total of 28 scholarships. We could fill all 85 scholarships in 2024. But that would leave us with less than 83 scholarships in a future year.
Also, it’s very likely we will have a few scholarship guys leave after Spring semester. Any guys leaving would reduce the current count of 84.

Edit: My apology. I overlooked the fact that one of the NCAA penalties requires UT to forfeit AT LEAST 2 scholarships each season during the Probation period. So, my original comment (above) about only needing to forfeit an AVERAGE of 2 scholarships is incorrect.

Last edited:
CoVid Seniors, commonly referenced as “Super Seniors”, do count against the 85 limit.
LWSVol maintains a helpful file that is pinned at the top of VolNation’s Recruiting Forum. It’s been a very fluid #, but he currently lists 84 scholarship guys for 2024. He notes 6 of the guys won’t arrive to campus until this Summer (after finishing academic requirements at their high schools or junior college).
UT “front loaded” scholarship reductions in 2021 and/or 2022. We only need to AVERAGE a reduction of approx 2 scholarships per year below 85 for the next I believe 3 years to achieve the total of 28 scholarships reduced within 5 years. We could fill all 85 scholarships in 2024, But that would leave us with less than 83 scholarships in 2025 or 2026.
Also, it’s very likely we will have a few scholarship guys leave after Spring semester. Any guys leaving would reduce the current count of 84.
Pretty sure it was specifically written in the penalties from the NCAA that UT had to forfeit at least 2 scholarships each year during the probation period. So they can't be above 83 any of the remaining probation years.

They didn't want UT to use all their forfeits in 1 or 2 years. They wanted to punish us during the entire probation period.

Reactions: VolsSince78
Pretty sure it was specifically written in the penalties from the NCAA that UT had to forfeit at least 2 scholarships each year during the probation period. So they can't be above 83 any of the remaining probation years.

They didn't want UT to use all their forfeits in 1 or 2 years. They wanted to punish us during the entire probation period.

this is accurate.. goes through the 2027 season

Reactions: Volunteer_Kirby
The current rules would require him to be on scholarship
Not asking to start drama or be a negavol, genuinely interested and curious..........what specific rule(s) states that Nico (or any other player) is required to be on a scholarship??

Yes, covid guys count
How many, not sure, probably around 85.

The way things work today, it doesn’t really matter much because since NIL and transfers have become a thing, no one really cares if you run a few off.

Deion ran almost a full 85 off and only a few cared

Please provide sources. I don’t see why he couldn’t use NIL in lieu of his scholarship and be a walk-on in the eyes of the NCAA.

A player recruited to play football can't be paid money by a collective to play sports. State law doesn't say he can or can't use NIL payments instead of a scholarship but it does state he can't be paid to play sprots. His NIL money cannot be used as incentive to play or attain certain athletic goals.

Now if Tennessee had not recruited him and he came as a walk-on, maybe he could have gotten payments and used the money. My guess is, once on scholarship you can't give up scholarship to use NIL money to pay for school. The question is, how does a collective market a walk-on for enough money to pay the scholarship?

"Deion ran almost a full 85 off and only a few cared"

I definitely think this falls under the beware what you wish for category. Players wanted to get paid. Fine. But now your a commodity just like the pros. If a University is not seeing a return on their investment then I have no problem with them cutting you, again, just like in the NFL. No reason to have someone who is underachieving sitting on the bench 4 years anymore.

Please provide sources. I don’t see why he couldn’t use NIL in lieu of his scholarship and be a walk-on in the eyes of the NCAA.
Thats just the kind of play stupid games get stupid prizes behavior that gets folks in trouble. Some school would get away with that exactly once with a high-profile player before it got shut down quickly. Schools will use said method for maybe a few PWO's but as soon as teams start rolling out an all-conference walk ons it all hits the fan. No way in the world the NCAA lets something like that pass. You have to at least act like you're trying to hide cheating in college football sir.

Your thinking brings to mind the guy who went to court in Hamilton County for theft... and drove a stolen car there....pure genius.

A player recruited to play football can't be paid money by a collective to play sports. State law doesn't say he can or can't use NIL payments instead of a scholarship but it does state he can't be paid to play sprots. His NIL money cannot be used as incentive to play or attain certain athletic goals.

Now if Tennessee had not recruited him and he came as a walk-on, maybe he could have gotten payments and used the money. My guess is, once on scholarship you can't give up scholarship to use NIL money to pay for school. The question is, how does a collective market a walk-on for enough money to pay the scholarship?
Not just a walk on either though. People are somehow thinking we can get a four or five star kid to walk on with NIL money.

Not just a walk on either though. People are somehow thinking we can get a four or five star kid to walk on with NIL money.

IMO, Tennessee would be strongly opposed to attempting this with any player. They are on probation for the next 4 years and would not want to try anything that could test a rule interpretation or state law.

Thats just the kind of play stupid games get stupid prizes behavior that gets folks in trouble. Some school would get away with that exactly once with a high-profile player before it got shut down quickly. Schools will use said method for maybe a few PWO's but as soon as teams start rolling out an all-conference walk ons it all hits the fan. No way in the world the NCAA lets something like that pass. You have to at least act like you're trying to hide cheating in college football sir.

Your thinking brings to mind the guy who went to court in Hamilton County for theft... and drove a stolen car there....pure genius.
Well, thanks for the name calling….says more about you than me. I am not suggesting that Tennessee should do it, just merely asking if anyone has documentation that prevents the situation. Obviously, you only have your opinion of what you think would happen…not helpful at all. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info, I guess it makes sense. It is kind of ironic that they stipulate that students can’t be paid to play sports even though that is basically what is happening. Players are getting NIL money before even playing a snap….definitely not after generating any type of fame/recognition from play.

Well, thanks for the name calling….says more about you than me. I am not suggesting that Tennessee should do it, just merely asking if anyone has documentation that prevents the situation. Obviously, you only have your opinion of what you think would happen…not helpful at all. Thanks again.
it's literally against the law..its not what I think would happen. The collective could give the student money and they could use that money to pay for school if they chose to. Thats as close as you get there and that's setting yourself up for failure if the kid gets pissed. Slippery slope.. dumb idea.

"Deion ran almost a full 85 off and only a few cared"

I definitely think this falls under the beware what you wish for category. Players wanted to get paid. Fine. But now your a commodity just like the pros. If a University is not seeing a return on their investment then I have no problem with them cutting you, again, just like in the NFL. No reason to have someone who is underachieving sitting on the bench 4 years anymore

Neither the University nor the Athletic Department have an investment in athletes outside if the normal perks of scholarship players. The NIL is not a part of the University/Athletic budget.

Reactions: pimo1
Also to clarify. I do apologize for my tone and not making it clear I was angry at the idea and thought process and not you personally, whom I do not know. taking shortcuts like that is what got FSU into its current mess what got Pruitt canned and many schools programs in trouble.

it's literally against the law..its not what I think would happen. The collective could give the student money and they could use that money to pay for school if they chose to. Thats as close as you get there and that's setting yourself up for failure if the kid gets pissed. Slippery slope.. dumb idea.
Again, provide supporting information that says it’s illegal. Here is what I found. The only thing that remotely applies is the third bullet point, but we all know that is violated with every recruit/transfer. As far as kids getting pissed…how is that different than now?IMG_3376.png

Again, provide supporting information that says it’s illegal. Here is what I found. The only thing that remotely applies is the third bullet point, but we all know that is violated with every recruit/transfer. As far as kids getting pissed…how is that different than now?View attachment 614655
You posted it yourself. But, If you want to educate yourself feel free to do so it would take you 2 mins tops to find the NIL laws on Google. I am not doing your work for you. But it is literally against the rule and almost all state laws for NIL money to be tied to them playing for a school. You don't even have to read that fare into the rules or laws to find this out.

Thanks for the info, I guess it makes sense. It is kind of ironic that they stipulate that students can’t be paid to play sports even though that is basically what is happening. Players are getting NIL money before even playing a snap….definitely not after generating any type of fame/recognition from play.

If someone wants to pay for your name and follows all the laws of it, then you can get paid without doing anything... nothing to prevent me from getting paid for my name except it isn't worth anything..

UT used several of the scholarships in CJH first 2 seasons at UT. I believe I read that UT has to forfeit 10 more over the next 5 years. A minimum of 2 forfeited each year. So UT would be able to use a max of 83 over the next 5 years.

Covid seniors do count toward the 85 max now. UT currently stands at 84 with all the 2024 signing class included. So they will have to lose at least one scholarship player by the start of Fall semester. If they add any more transfers .. then they have to lose another current scholarship player for each transfer added.
I thought I read where someone said we could take 85 this year but then would have 4 years to take 10 out

VN Store

Back