SCOTUS Rules that Public Can Sue Public Officials for Blocking/Muting Them on Social Media

Dumb ruling. If I block you, I'm not attacking your free speech.
You are not a public official and are not paid by taxpayer funds. The Constitution guarantees citizens the right to petition their government and to seek redress for grievances. Blocking x users denies this right

Reactions: VolTull
I somewhat agree. Can someone be blocked that isn’t a constituent? This seems like it’s going to turn into a legalistic nightmare.
Nope, real simple. If you are an elected government official (at least at the Federal level), you just don’t block anyone. Easy to implement. Easy to enforce or adjudicate.

Nope, real simple. If you are an elected government official (at least at the Federal level), you just don’t block anyone. Easy to implement. Easy to enforce or adjudicate.
But if it’s their personal page?

I somewhat agree. Can someone be blocked that isn’t a constituent? This seems like it’s going to turn into a legalistic nightmare.

Those Congressmen get so many tweets a day, how could could they interact long enough to block somebody

You are not a public official and are not paid by taxpayer funds. The Constitution guarantees citizens the right to petition their government and to seek redress for grievances. Blocking x users denies this right
WTF?

If I block you on my social media account, you still have your 1st Amendment rights.

WTF are you babbling about?

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary
Then they better not be making public policy statements on their personal page. If they are, they’ve opened themselves up.
It just seems like Pandora’s Box. I’ve seen politicians talk about political items on their personal pages that aren’t related to their job duties and then ban people that attack them. There’s a guy out of Farragut that works on the state level that makes comments about national issues on his page. Can he block people from attacking him on those posts?

It just seems like Pandora’s Box. I’ve seen politicians talk about political items on their personal pages that aren’t related to their job duties and then ban people that attack them. There’s a guy out of Farragut that works on the state level that makes comments about national issues on his page. Can he block people from attacking him on those posts?
Why shouldn't he be able to?

VN Store

Back