Scrimmage Stats

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
from ut sports information:

Tennessee starting quarterback candidate Rick Clausen made a case for himself with a quick start to the Vols' Saturday night scrimmage at Neyland Stadium.

The senior from Thousand Oaks, Calif., completed his first four passes for 122 yards and a touchdown, helping Tennessee's offense stave off an inspired defensive effort from the start.

"Rick did some good things and Erik (Ainge) did some good things," head coach Phillip Fulmer said. "I'll have to see the tape and we'll talk about it."

Ainge, who got the start Saturday, finished 10-of-20 for 91 yards and a touchdown against one interception. Clausen wound up 10-of-15 for 180 yards and one TD against one interception.

"There were some good things on both sides at times," Fulmer said. "Obviously there still were a couple of things with the new center being added."

He was referring to the quartet of newcomers at the center position in place of injured duo of David Ligon and Richie Gandy. Rob Smith started and was backed up by Anthony Parker, Michael Frogg and freshman Josh McNeil.

Jonathan Hefney, Ryan Karl and Jerod Mayo shared the tackle lead with four stops apiece. Hefney had an interception, while Karl added a caused fumble and Mayo a sack. Demonte Bolden recovered a fumble, Antwan Stewart added an interception and Daniel Brooks capped a solid night with three tackles, a caused fumble and a sack.

"The defense did a good job getting its hands on the ball, stopping drives and holding them to field goals," Fulmer said. "That was really good."

Tennessee Football Scrimmage Statistics
Saturday, Aug. 20, 2005

Starters
Off: Toeaina, Douglas, R. Smith, R. Foster, Sears, Fayton, Hannon, Ainge, Anderson, Riggs Jr., C. Brown
Def: Gaither, Stewart, Harrell, Simon, Allen, J. Mitchell, Mahelona, Haralson, Hall, Fellows, Hefney

Scrimmage injuries: TB Montario Hardesty (thigh bruise), DL Vladimir Richard (ankle).
Did not participate: WR Jayson Swain (knee), DB Jonathan Wade (leg), LB Rico McCoy (foot), C Richie Gandy (knee), C David Ligon (ankle), DB Jarod Parrish (knee), RB Ja'Kouri Williams (knee), OL Kirk Swearingen (ankle).

Rushing
No. Name No.-Yds.
22 LaMarcus Coker 12-34
27 Arian Foster 9-23
43 David Yancey 6-9
10 Erik Ainge 4-(-24)
45 Cory Anderson 2-17
16 Rick Clausen 2-(-8)
21 Gerald Riggs Jr. 2-19
15 Jim Bob Cooter 1-2
4 Dylan Dickey 1-(-8)
34 Montario Hardesty 1-1
39 Robert Williams 1-3
TEAM 1-(-4)

Receiving
No. Name Rec.-Yds.-TD
9 Bret Smith 4-53-1
11 Slick Shelley 3-54-1
81 Josh Briscoe 2-45-0
82 Bill Grimes 2-20-0
3 Robert Meachem 2-62-0
45 Cory Anderson 1-2-0
22 LaMarcus Coker 1-17-0
86 Brad Cottam 1-18-0
80 Jeff Cottam 1-6-0
17 C.J. Fayton 1-13-0
88 Jake Finlayson 1-7-0
27 Arian Foster 1-4-0
13 Chris Hannon 1-6-0
30 David Holbert 1-2-0
12 Lucas Taylor 1-41-1
43 David Yancey 1-2-0

Passing
No. Name Comp.-Att.-Yds.-TD-INT
16 Rick Clausen 10-15-180-1-1
10 Erik Ainge 10-20-91-1-1
15 Jim Bob Cooter 3-4-55-1-0
4 Dylan Dickey 1-2-5-0-0
14 Bo Hardegree 0-2-0-0-0

Defensive leaders/Big Plays: Jonathan Hefney 4 tackles, 1 interception; Ryan Karl 4 tackles, 1 caused fumble; Jerod Mayo 4 tackles, 1 sack; Daniel Brooks 3 tackles, 1 caused fumble, 1 TFL, 1 sack; Demonte Bolden 3 tackles, 1 recovered fumble, 1 sack, 1 TFL; Antwan Stewart 3 tackles, 1 interception; Xavier Mitchell 3 tackles, 1 sack, 1 PBU; Demetrice Morley 3 tackles, 1 PBU; Jason Allen 2 tackles, 1 PBU; Omar Gaither 3 tackles; Dan Williams 3 tackles; Jason Hall 2 sacks; Robert Ayers 1 tackle, 1 PBU; Ellix Wilson 1 recovered fumble; James Turner 1 TFL.

Kicking (Field Goals)
No. Name Made - Missed
25 James Wilhoit 46, 39, 27, 29, 41, 52 - 41
47 Britton Colquitt 50 - 52
37 Ryan Fusco 20 - 52

Punting
No. Name No.-Yds.-Avg.
47 Britton Colquitt 3-121-40.3

Now that's just odd. Looking at the last scrimmage, one would think Ainge would be the starter... now it's the complete opposite with Clausen looking like the better of the two.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 20, 2005 11:41 PM
Now that's just odd.  Looking at the last scrimmage, one would think Ainge would be the starter... now it's the complete opposite with Clausen looking like the better of the two.
[snapback]129067[/snapback]​

If you believe what you hear, they are really that close. It blows my mind how Clausen could have gotten beaten out by two true freshmen a year ago, but now is competing neck and neck with a guy who is supposed to be one of the better QBs in the conference.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Aug 20, 2005 11:41 PM
colquitt needs to get that average up though
[snapback]129068[/snapback]​

That's what I was thinking, but I think he will in time. We don't really even know the field position when he was punting tonight....

Passing
No. Name Comp.-Att.-Yds.-TD-INT
16 Rick Clausen 10-15-180-1-1
10 Erik Ainge 10-20-91-1-1
15 Jim Bob Cooter 3-4-55-1-
4 Dylan Dickey 1-2-5-0-0
14 Bo Hardegree 0-2-0-0-0

Good, maybe Cooter can win the third spot.

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 20, 2005 10:44 PM
If you believe what you hear, they are really that close.  It blows my mind how Clausen could have gotten beaten out by two true freshmen a year ago, but now is competing neck and neck with a guy who is supposed to be one of the better QBs in the conference.
[snapback]129077[/snapback]​

Confidence maybe? Rick really hadn't played much at this time last year, now he has several starts and an SECGC appearance under his belt.

Colquitt is working on situational and directional punting so that average is very good

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Aug 20, 2005 11:47 PM
4 Rushes for -24 yards, looks like Ainge met some of the Sack Attack too there 67.
[snapback]129082[/snapback]​

He did

So bottom line . . . Are we where we need to be with a week to go before we have to start game planning for UAB?

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 20, 2005 9:41 PM
Now that's just odd.  Looking at the last scrimmage, one would think Ainge would be the starter... now it's the complete opposite with Clausen looking like the better of the two.
[snapback]129067[/snapback]​

actually. clausen kicked butt in the last scrimmage before this 2. i wouldnt be surprised if he is named starter come sep. 3

They are close, they are showing signs of a good team in the fact that one side will do better and the next time the other side answers.

Stewart is looking real good and fast, Hefney is also looking good, The front 7 will not disappoint.
Offensively the WR's are studs and the O-line is good but Toe needs to keep his head in the game. I think this team is better offensively than the 98 team and the defense has a chance if the DB's keep coming on. I'm not saying they'll have a better record but they will probaby be the best offensive team since 2001.

Remember the starters only played about 1/2 the scrimmage

Are the D-line and backers THAT good, or did the running game stutter a bit without a proven center? Our top-3 carriers in the scrimmage only went a total of 27 for 66 yards. That won't get it done.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 21, 2005 9:29 AM
Are the D-line and backers THAT good, or did the running game stutter a bit without a proven center?  Our top-3 carriers in the scrimmage only went a total of 27 for 66 yards.  That won't get it done.
[snapback]129225[/snapback]​

lets hope the D-line is that good....i mean they are supposed to be...and i know our run game is better than that

The Tennessean

Sunday, 08/21/05

Backup linemen impress Fulmer

By TIM VACEK
For The Tennessean

KNOXVILLE — The Vols may have lost two centers in the past week, but Coach Phillip Fulmer was more than pleased with the way one of his guards filled in last night.

Junior Rob Smith started at center with the first team in last night's scrimmage. Redshirt freshman Ramon Foster started for Smith at left guard.

The soonest the Vols could get David Ligon (ankle) and Richie Gandy (knee) back would be the Florida game on Sept. 17.

"If we establish ourselves with some continuity and play pretty well, we could go the way we are," Fulmer said. "It's a pretty competitive situation right now."

Fulmer said he was also pleased with redshirt freshman Anthony Parker, who worked every snap at center with the second team. True freshman Josh McNeil worked with the third team.

Sophomore walk-on Michael Frogg, who had been getting reps at center, played exclusively at guard last night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Bob had the best stats - 75% completion ratio, 25% of his passes went for TDs, almost 14 yards per attempt and no int's.

JIM BOB :bow:

(Just showing how you can lie with stats :p )

Randy Sanders is always in a delima at this time of the year. Look how long it took him to find the older Clausen. He is the QB coach and I'm not sure he knows what he's looking at. I think he knows what he's looking for. But the confusion is the analysis on the practice field. :dunno:

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 21, 2005 9:29 AM
Are the D-line and backers THAT good, or did the running game stutter a bit without a proven center?  Our top-3 carriers in the scrimmage only went a total of 27 for 66 yards.  That won't get it done.
[snapback]129225[/snapback]​

Are you forgetting that Riggs only carried the ball twice for 19 yards that is a pretty good average if you ask me. The running game will be fine.

Originally posted by vols3131@Aug 21, 2005 10:19 PM
Are you forgetting that Riggs only carried the ball twice for 19 yards that is a pretty good average if you ask me.  The running game will be fine.
[snapback]129527[/snapback]​

Agreed. But our HC and OC like to shuffle backs to keep "fresh legs" on the field. I'm not sure if the above numbers are a blessing or a curse, but I'd like to feel confident in a backup tailback.

VN Store

Back