SEC Network

stephenk24

Back after a long nap
Hey guys,

can you explain the SEC network? I'm trying to work out which games I will be able to watch this year with my ESPN player streaming subscription.

Are SEC network games on a separate channel or is it on ESPN???

Also, isn't the SEC network getting bigger next season? If so, does that mean ESPN will not be broadcasting Vols games anymore?

Thanks.

SEC Network looks to get cable contracts with brand clout - KansasCity.com
Here's another link. Hopefully it'll be picked up by DirecTV and Dish etc..

That one doesn't start until 2014 though.

I could be wrong, but I think he might be asking about the still-in-place previous setup of games that get shown on a local station but fell under an umbrella (title) of "SEC Network." (You know...those games that appear on a local channel)

Especially since he's asking about games for this season

Last edited:
Right now games on the SEC Network come on local stations, usually CBS. Starting next season the SEC Network will be an actual TV station.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the replies guys. I really hope I don't have to rely on dodgy illegal streams, but the way it's going - I may have no choice!

Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys,

can you explain the SEC network? I'm trying to work out which games I will be able to watch this year with my ESPN player streaming subscription.

Are SEC network games on a separate channel or is it on ESPN???

Also, isn't the SEC network getting bigger next season? If so, does that mean ESPN will not be broadcasting Vols games anymore?

Thanks.

Ok, Stephen, here's the answer.

THIS year, what is called the "SEC Network" is, as it has been since 2009, something that is owned by ESPN, but is only football and men's and women's basketball games. ESPN sells this "SEC Network" package of games to local stations around the country. It's shown is most major markets across the country. The games are available on ESPN3.com in the US, but I'm not sure if they are a part of the ESPN3 international package.

Beginning NEXT fall, the "SEC Network" will be an actual, full time cable channel that is owned by ESPN. It will take over the games that are part if the current "SEC network" package as well as the football games that the schools sell as PPV. Games that currently air on CSS and FSN will move to the new network as well, although FSN retains their games until 2015.

The online and international situation for the new network is a little complicated. There will be an ESPN3-like site that will stream the network full time, but it will only be available to people whose cable Tv package includes the network. There are currently no plans to offer it internationally, but I know the schools are working to change that.

Reactions: 5 people
Ok, Stephen, here's the answer.

THIS year, what is called the "SEC Network" is, as it has been since 2009, something that is owned by ESPN, but is only football and men's and women's basketball games. ESPN sells this "SEC Network" package of games to local stations around the country. It's shown is most major markets across the country. The games are available on ESPN3.com in the US, but I'm not sure if they are a part of the ESPN3 international package.

Beginning NEXT fall, the "SEC Network" will be an actual, full time cable channel that is owned by ESPN. It will take over the games that are part if the current "SEC network" package as well as the football games that the schools sell as PPV. Games that currently air on CSS and FSN will move to the new network as well, although FSN retains their games until 2015.

The online and international situation for the new network is a little complicated. There will be an ESPN3-like site that will stream the network full time, but it will only be available to people whose cable Tv package includes the network. There are currently no plans to offer it internationally, but I know the schools are working to change that.

So.......is all that still going to cost us common folk extra $$ to have this SEC Network package on our cable TV line-up like ESPNU?

So.......is all that still going to cost us common folk extra $$ to have this SEC Network package on our cable TV line-up like ESPNU?

It depends on the cable/satellite company. I've got Uverse with AT&T. They have come out and said that they will definitely have the SEC network. They currently offer the Big Ten network with all of their packages.

It depends on the cable/satellite company. I've got Uverse with AT&T. They have come out and said that they will definitely have the SEC network. They currently offer the Big Ten network with all of their packages.

Right now, I've got Charter but I don't know what they will offer just yet. I have that Big Ten Network on my remote TV guide but it's blocked as well as some other channels. That NFL Network is an extra pay charge on my Charter line-up so.....?

I know this may be off topic but how is it any way right for them to charge us for tv, then charge us for packages, then recieve huge sums of money from advertising. If it has commercials, it should be free to the viewer. Just my .02

If it's like the Big Ten and Pac 12 Networks, that will depend on where you live.

Up in Big Ten country, BTN is on basic cable with ESPN and ESPN2. Outside of Big Ten country, it's on the extra-charge sports tier with ESPNU, NFL network and others.

So down here in SEC land, it'll probably be on your basic cable plan. Outside of here, open your wallet.

:banghead2:It will get where every game will be pay per view 29.99 or higher.

No it won't. ESPN paid a lot of money to ensure it could broadcast the SEC games. As a matter of fact, next year with the SEC network there won't even be 1 PPV game.

I hope the SEC network improves their HD channel...Last couple of years it was horrible.

If it's like the Big Ten and Pac 12 Networks, that will depend on where you live.

Up in Big Ten country, BTN is on basic cable with ESPN and ESPN2. Outside of Big Ten country, it's on the extra-charge sports tier with ESPNU, NFL network and others.

So down here in SEC land, it'll probably be on your basic cable plan. Outside of here, open your wallet.

:good!: Thanks, I can only hope & pray that this comes TRUE.

VN Store

Back