SEC on CBS

Just a VolinTears

Vol from Memphis
One more game for the SEC on CBS. What a ride it has been. So many great moments. One really special broadcaster. But I will forever hold that they had the best optics of any station. Great shots from around and above the stadium. Most of all though, I will miss the music, which always meant so much. Thanks CBS (and Verne)!

With all the blasting of Danielson, the old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. A move to ABC means the ESPN stable of announcing crews, and I'm hard pressed to think of a single good one.

CBS' production quality was top shelf, and they truly valued what the SEC has become and played a part in its rise to the cream of CFB. I don't hold out the same hope for the hacks at Disney/ABC/ESPN.

I'm no fan of Danielson, but the only thing at CBS I would never miss was the bloated ego of Lundquist. Brad Nessler is probably the best PBP guy in the sport today, I wish he was coming over to ABC with the SEC.

CBS has done great coverage on the SEC games thru the years and the intro music is the best but unfortunately we have largely sucked on the CBS games since 2008 and have endured alot of beatdowns and embarrassing losses to the likes of Florida , Georgia and Bama.

Reactions: VolCalls and oz615
CBS ran out of dumb commentators with Verne’s retirement and Danielson’s soon retirement. There’s no way Gary can keep up the energy required to keep talking while ignoring the game.

Why can’t they all be Herbstreit? He has pissed me off with his covid tears, but I’ll never forget him compliments on Neyland Stadium’s activity.

CBS has done great coverage on the SEC games thru the years and the intro music is the best but unfortunately we have largely sucked on the CBS games since 2008 and have endured alot of beatdowns and embarrassing losses to the likes of Florida , Georgia and Bama.

True. Most of my memories on CBS are of the Vols stinking the place up. It even kind of ruined the intro music for me. Happy to see that era go.

With all the blasting of Danielson, the old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. A move to ABC means the ESPN stable of announcing crews, and I'm hard pressed to think of a single good one.

CBS' production quality was top shelf, and they truly valued what the SEC has become and played a part in its rise to the cream of CFB. I don't hold out the same hope for the hacks at Disney/ABC/ESPN.

I'm no fan of Danielson, but the only thing at CBS I would never miss was the bloated ego of Lundquist. Brad Nessler is probably the best PBP guy in the sport today, I wish he was coming over to ABC with the SEC.
I'm no ESPN fan, but there are literally dozens of better announcers on ESPN than Danielson. Danielson is complete and total trash. Dude has 1 job and doesn't even bother to do it.

Constantly misidentifies players, mispronounces names, gets plays completely wrong, shows an ignorance for the game ... I can't remember a single broadcast he's done that wasn't riddled with errors. And he's just such an obnoxious personality to boot.

I don't for the life of me understand how he's still on the air.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Dave Neal and Derek Mason calling our Vandy game.
Dave has called a lot of good UT games over the years.
I miss Jefferson Pilot Sports. Dave reminded me of it.
I didn't appreciate them when they were carrying SEC football, but I enjoyed every game they broadcast.

I was worried about DMason when he couldn't get his words out during pre-game, but he did well once the game started.

I enjoyed Dave Neal and Derek Mason calling our Vandy game.
Dave has called a lot of good UT games over the years.
I miss Jefferson Pilot Sports. Dave reminded me of it.
I didn't appreciate them when they were carrying SEC football, but I enjoyed every game they broadcast.

I was worried about DMason when he couldn't get his words out during pre-game, but he did well once the game started.
I HATE Dave Neal. When I see he's announcing I have to go on mute. He smack his lips every 5 seconds and sounds like a damn fire cracker going off. Same thing with not Danielson on CBS. Never used to be an issue and it still isn't on NFL broadcasts, but it's increased 10 fold on college broadcasts this year.

The trio of Ron Franklin and Mike Godfried in the booth with Jerry Punch on the sidelines was the goat broadcast team for college football.

Aside from them, I did and still do mostly watch with the sound off and turn the Vol Network on

Reactions: jblank

VN Store

Back