SEC position rankings: Defensive line

YankeeVol

Raised a Yank, Born a Vol
12. Tennessee: The Vols have to figure out how to move around all those pieces up front with the defense moving back to a traditional 4-3 look. Big-bodied Daniel McCullers is the top player along the line, but he has to be more disruptive up front. He has to be more than just a space eater. Senior Jacques Smith should move down to end from linebacker, while fellow seniors Marlon Walls and Daniel Hood should push for starting time at end and tackle. Senior Maurice Couch is another player with a ton of talent, but has to be more consistent inside. Junior Jordan Williams should also move down after playing a hybrid end/linebacker position last year.

SEC position rankings: Defensive line - SEC Blog - ESPN

I was hoping to be a little better than 12th....but i guess that's fair given our lack of consistency.

I guess switching from a 3-4 look to a 4-3 has them hesitant. I honestly believe we already have one of the best run stopping lines in the conference with big Dan and mo couch. The one thing we are missing is a consistent pass rush without blitzing. Jacques and Jordan have to be better off the edge, and moving back to their natural position can only help.

Reactions: 1 person
We have done a lot of things to correct the problems. New coach and staff, New system, more bricks. I believe in the Vols to not stay in 12th place very long. GBO!

Reactions: 4 people
I guess switching from a 3-4 look to a 4-3 has them hesitant. I honestly believe we already have one of the best run stopping lines in the conference with big Dan and mo couch. The one thing we are missing is a consistent pass rush without blitzing. Jacques and Jordan have to be better off the edge, and moving back to their natural position can only help.

I just hope that Big Dan can play more downs that last year in this new 4-3 defense...we need him to fill that gap

Understandable.

Looks like this ranking is based only on last years performance. Would be interesting to see where espn would rank us on talent.

Understandable.

Looks like this ranking is based only on last years performance. Would be interesting to see where espn would rank us on talent.

I think they've got this one wrong. We're weak in the back and suspect at LB, but our D-line is Actually serviceable IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
I think they've got this one wrong. We're weak on the back and suspect at LB, but our D-line is Ctually serviceable IMO.

I agree.

This ranking is just based on last years results. I can kinda understand where they would think that our whole D suk'd.

Based on spring practice and the OW game, either our OL should not be #1 or or DL is a LOT better than #12. I'm opting for the latter...

Reactions: 3 people
Wouldn't argue with the assessment, but there's no mention of Latroy Lewis who I think will do some damage this year, nor the freshmen who will be getting significant time right away.

The 3-4 last year was just bad timing, to play this style you have to have strong LB's and with CM injured most of last year we just didn't have the depth at LB. 4-3 is better suited for the recruits we have currently.

No surprise here.

VERY surprised here!

There is no way on EARTH that UT is not better than Mizzou, Vandy, and Ole Miss up front. Arkansas at #3?!?!?!

People still acting like UT ran the 3-4 for 20 years and don't have BETTER personnel for the 4-3.

Couch inconsistent? Who wouldn't be inconsistent attempting to play for Sunseri?

Reactions: 1 person
Based on spring practice and the OW game, either our OL should not be #1 or or DL is a LOT better than #12. I'm opting for the latter...

Exactly. Too many are blaming players for one of the worst coached defenses in the history of football.

Defensive line will be much better they were not even 12th last season. Almost all the problems were caused by the secondary last season they could not close on a runner. I think a better rating for us is middle of the pack I see two or three teams rated ahead of us that do not have the talent we do on the line.

Defensive line will be much better they were not even 12th last season. Almost all the problems were caused by the secondary last season they could not close on a runner. I think a better rating for us is middle of the pack I see two or three teams rated ahead of us that do not have the talent we do on the line.

All the problems weren't caused by the secondary or their ability to close on ball carriers either. Sunseri's D consistently put guys in positions with no help. It was flat out stupid.

or you can stop basing your opinion on a spring game.

What about Danny O'Brien? I haven't heard much about this kid in a while.

what about corey miller ????? had a good spring we need his speed coming off the end with smith coming off the other end

VN Store

Back