SEC position rankings: Secondary

YankeeVol

Raised a Yank, Born a Vol
12. Tennessee: The Vols do bring back experience, but this same group contributed to Tennessee owning the SEC's second worst pass defense (282.5 yards allowed per game). So that means these players have to grow and simply get better on the field. It won't come over night, but the experience gained last season should help. Safeties Byron Moore and Brian Randolph, who is coming back from an ACL injury, provide a solid foundation at safety, while returning starting corner Justin Coleman has to be much better than he was in 2012. Fortunately for the Vols, Coleman made very good strides this spring. Juco transfer Riyahd Jones could come in and start immediately.

SEC position rankings: Secondary - Florida Gators Blog - ESPN

Not surprised in the least. However, I do believe they will be much improved this year.

Hope Gordon comes back in good shape. Looking forward to LaDarrell laying some 'LaSmack' on somebody over the middle...

Reactions: 1 person
12. Tennessee: The Vols do bring back experience, but this same group contributed to Tennessee owning the SEC's second worst pass defense (282.5 yards allowed per game). So that means these players have to grow and simply get better on the field. It won't come over night, but the experience gained last season should help. Safeties Byron Moore and Brian Randolph, who is coming back from an ACL injury, provide a solid foundation at safety, while returning starting corner Justin Coleman has to be much better than he was in 2012. Fortunately for the Vols, Coleman made very good strides this spring. Juco transfer Riyahd Jones could come in and start immediately.

SEC position rankings: Secondary - Florida Gators Blog - ESPN

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the defensive line gets a push this season, then the q.b. will have to throw quicker. This will help our defensive backs alot, rather than making them cover their man for 10 seconds, they now cover them for 3 or 4 seconds.

So, the defensive back field should show improvement on that alone.

Safeties will be very good. I think we have one good CB in Riyahd. Not sure about other CB and Nickel. Our linemen and LBs will take a lot of heat off of the secondary, shaving several seconds off the amount of time they need to be in coverage per play. That means alot. And I expect our run defense to be very good this year with Big Dan in the middle and Maggitt on the end. we got people to stack um up at the line and fast LBs to shoot the gaps.

I'm a bigger believer in Coleman than most. I think he will be solid this year

With Randolph on the field last year, we could've won 2 of those games we lost. With him on the field this year, we will be better than 12th.

We could not get pissed if we were rated 14 in everything after last year the worst Defence in 116 years off Tennessee football.

Safeties will be very good. I think we have one good CB in Riyahd. Not sure about other CB and Nickel. Our linemen and LBs will take a lot of heat off of the secondary, shaving several seconds off the amount of time they need to be in coverage per play. That means alot. And I expect our run defense to be very good this year with Big Dan in the middle and Maggitt on the end. we got people to stack um up at the line and fast LBs to shoot the gaps.

Maggitt is unlikely to be back and he isn't an end.
Even so D will be much improved. I still think Coleman can be a quality corner. UT has three VERY good safeties if Randolph is healthy. Run D should be stellar.
Brewer could be an interesting piece. You can leave him in nickle situations.

Maggitt is unlikely to be back and he isn't an end.
Even so D will be much improved. I still think Coleman can be a quality corner. UT has three VERY good safeties if Randolph is healthy. Run D should be stellar.
Brewer could be an interesting piece. You can leave him in nickle situations.

I read somewhere that Maggitt would probably be moving to DE.

VN Store

Back