Secondary

holdemvol

A lot of posters seem to think our secondary will be horrible again this year but I am of the opinion that not only will they be better, but have a chance to be a really good unit. Allen has shown he is a stud and Fellows was recently called a "budding supertar" at the other corner by CFN and if you remember before Stewart was injured many thought he would be better than Allen last year. Hefney and Campbell both got valuable experience last year and if one of those two or Moreley can step up at safety I have a good feeling about this group. I know a lot of this is speculation but let's not forget how important the experience gained last season is. Thoughts?

Yeah - I think people tend to forget that for most of the year we were playing freshmen at both corners and had our only experienced cover man playing at free safety just to minimize the bleeding.

The one thing I noticed about Hefney is that he was more than willing to step up and put his hat on somebody; not what you'd expect out of a freshman cornerback.

I agree, Allen will be wowing NFL scouts and there is no better experience that which is gained under fire, the sophs should show out too.... my only reservation is the tackling by not only them but the entire D and special teams as well.

Originally posted by volmanjr@May 2, 2005 2:36 PM
I agree, Allen will be wowing NFL scouts and there is no better experience that which is gained under fire, the sophs should show out too.... my only reservation is the tackling by not only them but the entire D and special teams as well.

I agree...I think that experience will also help the tackling issue. There is a huge difference between tackling a high school player and an SEC opponent although it was not just freshman that had this problem...as you said the entire defense needs improvement in this area. I think if the D could get some of that "swagger" back defenders will be more likely to step up and lay a good lick on someone

I think the "good licks" were there just no wrapping up to go with them, and our special teams were anything but special last yr

Originally posted by volmanjr@May 2, 2005 2:52 PM
I think the "good licks" were there just no wrapping up to go with them, and our special teams were anything but special last yr

true special teams were a joke and you certainly need sound special teams play to compete for championships

This has been a good discussion so far, and the first one to mention anything about starting QBs , or firing Chavis or Sanders will get my Ginzu knife shoved up their a**.... now back on point, why don't we have a special teams coach?

A lot of schools don't have dedicated special teams coaches due to the limitations on the number of coaches you can have.

Originally posted by volmanjr@May 2, 2005 3:04 PM
This has been a good discussion so far, and the first one to mention anything about starting QBs , or firing Chavis or Sanders will get my Ginzu knife shoved up their a**.... now back on point, why don't we have a special teams coach?

You would think as bad as special teams play was last year that would be an important position to fill!

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 2, 2005 4:08 PM
Psst a little secret UT is changing the way the secondary plays.

Elaborate please . . .

Holdem- I think you hit the nail on the head as far as poor tackling. Year after year we continue to tackle poorly, they go for th hit and not wrpping up and securing the ball carrier - or they dive at their legs and the guy just goes right around. overall our defensive units should be pretty good - now if they make that low starting - drive thru - wrap up tackle they would be great.

Originally posted by VOLracerx@May 2, 2005 3:21 PM
Holdem- I think you hit the nail on the head as far as poor tackling. Year after year we continue to tackle poorly, they go for th hit and not wrpping up and securing the ball carrier - or they dive at their legs and the guy just goes right around. overall our defensive units should be pretty good - now if they make that low starting - drive thru - wrap up tackle they would be great.

It really is a shame when you see a unit full of great athletes with all the potential in the world limited as defenders by poor fundamentals.

"Psst a little secret UT is changing the way the secondary plays. "

so don't leave us hanging, whats the secret (if you're too busy posting chic pics to speak now, its ok)

Much agree about the poor tackling and special teams! Ive stressed special teams here before. The secondary should be top notch this season.

I think stewart is going to be healthy? Allen well he's all american, Fellows my personal pick to step up! Hefney impressed me as a freshman doing some of the things he did with the lack of SEC experience.

Wade seemed to get picked on alot when he was back there, got burned pretty good a few time's.

Special teams what a mess! First we couldnt get the ball out past the 20-25.
Ive never been a big fan of a star RB/DB returning kickoffs or punts.

Tackling the other way has to be much improved this season. I was alittle more pleased at the way Brown and Williams was brought down in the SEC game. But by then it was too late.

The Bowl game was as aggressive ive seen in a couple years. Assignments, Fundimentals, everything was clicking, Hope that continues thru out this season..

We need a break with all the injuries this yr, G'eeezzz players hurt off and on from spring til jan

As talk continues about the potential for the secondary, I notice no one pointing out that our D-line looks to be stronger and deeper than it has been in quite some time. Nothing makes a secondary shine so brightly, as a D-line that is bringing the heat on the QB for 4 full quarters!!

agreed , the D-line potential was discussed in another thread, I think the focus on the secondary stems from them being the biggest ?

Changing the way the secondary plays?..change? schemes?..personnel?..assignments?..what?

I'm in and out alot , try to stop in a few minutes every chance I get, what can I say I'm addicted , and no doubt our D line will be the secondary's best friend.

The D line has a chance to be outright scary this year with Mahelona, Parys and a player in Bolden who seems like he has all the tools to be a force as well.

Here are the passing yards our defense gave up last season game by game....

UNLV - 175
Florida - 286
La Tech - 264
Auburn - 252
UGA - 209
Ole Miss - 168
Bama - 113
SC - 341
ND - 118
Vandy - 314
UK - 218
SECCG - 374
Cotton - 241

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 11:15 AM

UNLV - 175
Florida - 286
La Tech - 264
Auburn - 252
UGA - 209
Ole Miss - 168
Bama - 113
SC - 341
UK - 218
SECCG - 374
Cotton - 241

ND - 118
VU - 314

Originally posted by holdemvol+May 3, 2005 12:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holdemvol @ May 3, 2005 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orangewhiteblood@May 3, 2005 11:15 AM

UNLV - 175
Florida - 286
La Tech - 264
Auburn - 252
UGA - 209
Ole Miss - 168
Bama - 113
SC - 341
UK - 218
SECCG - 374
Cotton - 241

ND - 118