SEC's new coaches encounter pressure, expectations

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
''The best analogy I can give you is every day in the SEC is like fourth-and-one for the national championship,'' Jones said. ''It doesn't matter if it's practice, recruiting or game time, which I'll experience soon ... The competitive structure of this football conference, the difference between winning and losing is very slim.''

Y! SPORTS

Butch knows that it's gonna take more than Finding Rommel to keep an SEC job and be successful. It's great that he holds himself to the high standards he knows he must meet. Loving everything he says.

I firmly believe that Tennessee Football has found its Moses in Butch Jones. He is going to lead the Tennessee football team out of the desert and into the limelight again.

I agree. There is no one I would rather have now. CBJ has done better than anyone would have imagined and there is no reason to think he won't carry the same kind of mentality into the games. Looking around at the other SEC teams has me worried too though. It seems like they are all taking up the challenge and everybody is getting better like some huge football arms race. I could see a scenario where 7 out of the top ten teams in the country are here in the SEC, even if they never make it into the standings as such because when we play each other someone has to lose. That allows posers like ND last year or Ohio State with their Sisters of the Poor schedule to pretend they are just as good. Every week in the SEC is going to be an absolute dog fight no matter who you are playing. The only ones I see not being in the hunt are Missou, but who knows if they get a better coach. KY, don't see them sustaining their recruiting success, Vandy, Franklin has already taken them to their zenith. and maybe Arky. All the rest of them seem to be willing to spend whatever it takes on coaches and facilities to compete with anybody. It is going to be a wild ride once all this gets going in a couple of years. I'm glad we have CBJ to lead us.

Reactions: 1 person
The pressure is high, but at least Coach Jones is doing the right things to buy himself some time and keep his seat cool for the time being.

VN Store

Back