Seeing the ESPN CF cover got me thinking...

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
Hey gang,
Seeing the ESPN.com CF cover story today got me thinking. Tennessee won the first BCS title...wouldn't it be AWESOME if Jones and Company win the first CFP (College Football Playoff) title...let's go men...Rise To THE TOP !!! :rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 3 people
The thing that makes me mad is that whenever the tv commentary begins talking about the dominance of the SEC, they always say somethign to the effect of, "The SEC has won ___ of the last ___ BCS championships." They rarely if ever mention that we were the first to kick it off.

TV commentary hates us.

Why does that make you mad? If UT had won it in '99 instead of '98 would you feel any different about it? I doubt it. So UT won the 1st BCS title, great.

What should make you even more mad is that the casual fan will ask when we won ours and then will explain it away by saying, oh that's when Peton Manning was there, no wonder...

Little do they all know how great UT football was. and will be.

Hey gang,
Seeing the ESPN.com CF cover story today got me thinking. Tennessee won the first BCS title...wouldn't it be AWESOME if Jones and Company win the first CFP (College Football Playoff) title...let's go men...Rise To THE TOP !!! :rock::rock::rock:

And I love the Post Spring Power Rankings with the Vols at 13. Sheesh!

Why does that make you mad? If UT had won it in '99 instead of '98 would you feel any different about it? I doubt it. So UT won the 1st BCS title, great.

Not exactly. People remember the first president more for a reason. First man on the moon. First everything always has a bit more of an imprint than the next. Just like whoever wins this one will have one for being "last."

Reactions: 1 person
When was the last time ESPN ran an intro to the BCS change convo with "In the beginning" there was TN and near the End there was Bama ? Seems like the second largest Football Money Machine would want to encapsulate the entire BCS life cycle...alas One is not like the other and they know the Millions of TN Fans will tune in tomorrow regardless......So play to the new 13 year old "Fan"...Media

Not exactly. People remember the first president more for a reason. First man on the moon. First everything always has a bit more of an imprint than the next. Just like whoever wins this one will have one for being "last."

Except for the minor fact that the BCS isn't even remotely comparable to those things.

Except for the minor fact that the BCS isn't even remotely comparable to those things.

This may be just me, but Tennessee winning national championships has a little more relevance/importance in my life than the first time we got to the moon (wasn't alive then)

And Bama won the 1st Bowl Coalition...who cares?

So you're saying the fact that UT won the title in '98 is more important or relevant than all the other teams that have won the NC? The BCS was just a new system of voting to make it less controversial.

Had UT beaten LSU in '01 and gone on to beat Miami would that NC be inferior to the '98 NC? I don't think so.

VN Store

Back