Settle Down Gators... Um Hasnt Won A Game Yet

General Jack

Vorschlaghammer
Here is a theory...

I am starting to think that what Coach Meyer is trying to do is do what ND did for 3-4 decades.

He has repeatedly said that he has a ton of admiration for what Spurrier was and what UF was in the 90's. He expects his players to have the same type of reverence.

I think that he is trying to have the same sort of situation that ND had for so long. Different coaches, different players, but the same traditions, and the same type of team each year. No matter who is at the helm.

Where the Irish were a grind it out kinda of dynasty for most of thier glory years, the Gators will be a wide open, trendsetting offense, that runs up scores and appologizes for nothing. And much like ND, I suppose that UF is getting to a position where, even after Urban is here for a looooong time and retires or whatever, we will still try to get a new coach, to come do the same things.

---kinda rambling, but does anyone feel me on that?

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@May 18, 2005 10:20 PM
I told you having a kid will make you crazy. :wacko:
[snapback]96055[/snapback]​

gives me more time to play on the internet :devilsmoke:

Let me see, are you suggesting Florida is the New, Old Notre Dame?

Or did some crazed Florida fan write this and you pasted it?

I'm so confused. Where's my Metamucil? :p

Swamp, he won them playing against patsy's not in the SEC, to compare the two would invalidate your argument immediately and you know it.

Originally posted by Volunteer@May 19, 2005 6:48 PM
Swamp, he won them playing against patsy's not in the SEC, to compare the two would invalidate your argument immediately and you know it.
[snapback]96305[/snapback]​

agree

hes also played them with a lot less tallent....and believe it or not, hes played several BCS conf. teams......you cant talk about him not playing anyone.....he was int he MWC, but i do know he was the only coach to ever take a non-bcs team and lead them to a bcs bowl, i know that he was one of three coaches to have an undefeated team out of 117 schools, impressive.

i agree the SEC is a whole nother level, but he has as much tallent now as he ever has.....i woudlnt doubt him, i think hell do great things

Originally posted by OldVol@May 19, 2005 8:53 AM
Let me see, are you suggesting Florida is the New, Old Notre Dame?

Or did some crazed Florida fan write this and you pasted it?

I'm so confused. Where's my Metamucil?  :p
[snapback]96122[/snapback]​

Yikes, I've got to be more clear next time... I'd hate to be thought of as a gator fan.

I got that off of a gator website, some dilusional gator wrote it. Was good for a few laughs I thought.

Sorry to say but every fan base has these. I'm one of those Old Gators that Meyer will have to prove he can do it at this level, although I think he can and will.

Sorry to say but every fan base has these. I'm one of those Old Gators that Meyer will have to prove he can do it at this level, although I think he can and will.

Hey again Bait,

I've gone way out on the limb and predicted a major Meyer bust in the SEC. I'll be glad to eat all the crow those who have disagreed with me will dish up for me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'll have to acquire a taste for the dark meat, and here's why:

1. Yes, UM took the Utes to a BCS bowl, but does anyone believe that had the Utes been playing a full SEC schedule that they would have made it to the BCS? I haven't met them. The mid-majors who have a good team have a good shot at getting into the BCS with just one or two upsets of so-called major teams. Utah beat a mediocre A&M team and a 3/8 Arizona team while beating up on the Mountain West. The entire Mountain West had a record of 37 wins against 53 losses. Now that redefines weak SOS. Then, the powers that be at the BCS place them against the worst BCS team since the BCS began, so they didn't even get a chance to really prove they belonged. In my opinion, if the Utes had had to play in the SEC East last year, their SEC record would have been 4/4 at best more likely 3/5. They could beat Vandy and Kentucky, and lets assume they would have gotten at least one of the lowest teams from the west, say MSU, and they would have been 3/5. If they had beaten USC, that would make them 4/4. Does anyone believe they would have beaten Florida, UT, or Georgia?

2. The speed of the defenses in the MW lends itself to the backyard type of offense Meyer employees. 37/53 speaks for itself.

3. The speed of SEC defenses is going to be the grandest awakening Urban Meyer has ever experienced in his life. His schemes require that you isolate the weakest linebacker your opponents have and trust your offense can take advantage of that weak link. In the SEC's top 8 or 9 teams, you just don't find many very weak linebackers. Most SEC linebackers post 40 times that are as fast or faster than many mid-major running backs.

4. The Florida faithful will not be patient enough for him to prove his worth either as a recruiter or a coach. The early schedule is to his benefit. I believe he'll be 4/2 after the first 6 games with losses to UT and at Alabama. Then it really gets fun. LSU and Georgia back to back. At that point, I think he'll be 4/4. If he should lose to SC, look for fireurbanmeyer.com to fire up. Don't laugh! Before Florida hired him, but after it was reported that he was interested in Florida, I did a search on domain names. Guess what? Fireurbanmeyer.com had already been purchased. If he's 5/4 going into the SC game, and IF (note big if) Stevie boy should pull off an upset (provided it would be an upset at that point) then the Florida faithful will begin to howl like Smokey when he's enjoying a ham bone.

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@May 19, 2005 9:07 PM
Yikes, I've got to be more clear next time... I'd hate to be thought of as a gator fan.

I got that off of a gator website, some dilusional gator wrote it.  Was good for a few laughs I thought.
[snapback]96525[/snapback]​

You betcha, we can't have that.

Originally posted by OldVol@May 20, 2005 2:16 PM
Hey again Bait,

I've gone way out on the limb and predicted a major Meyer bust in the SEC. I'll be glad to eat all the crow those who have disagreed with me will dish up for me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'll have to acquire a taste for the dark meat, and here's why:

1. Yes, UM took the Utes to a BCS bowl, but does anyone believe that had the Utes been playing a full SEC schedule that they would have made it to the BCS? I haven't met them. The mid-majors who have a good team have a good shot at getting into the BCS with just one or two upsets of so-called major teams. Utah beat a mediocre A&M team and a 3/8 Arizona team while beating up on the Mountain West. The entire Mountain West had a record of 37 wins against 53 losses. Now that redefines weak SOS. Then, the powers that be at the BCS place them against the worst BCS team since the BCS began, so they didn't even get a chance to really prove they belonged. In my opinion, if the Utes had had to play in the SEC East last year, their SEC record would have been 4/4 at best more likely 3/5. They could beat Vandy and Kentucky, and lets assume they would have gotten at least one of the lowest teams from the west, say MSU, and they would have been 3/5. If they had beaten USC, that would make them 4/4. Does anyone believe they would have beaten Florida, UT, or Georgia?

2. The speed of the defenses in the MW lends itself to the backyard type of offense Meyer employees. 37/53 speaks for itself.

3. The speed of SEC defenses is going to be the grandest awakening Urban Meyer has ever experienced in his life. His schemes require that you isolate the weakest linebacker your opponents have and trust your offense can take advantage of that weak link.  In the SEC's top 8 or 9 teams, you just don't find many very weak linebackers. Most SEC linebackers post 40 times that are as fast or faster than many mid-major running backs.

4. The Florida faithful will not be patient enough for him to prove his worth either as a recruiter or a coach.  The early schedule is to his benefit. I believe he'll be 4/2 after the first 6 games with losses to UT and at Alabama. Then it really gets fun. LSU and Georgia back to back. At that point, I think he'll be 4/4. If he should lose to SC, look for fireurbanmeyer.com to fire up. Don't laugh! Before Florida hired him, but after it was reported that he was interested in Florida, I did a search on domain names. Guess what? Fireurbanmeyer.com had already been purchased. If he's 5/4 going into the SC game, and IF (note big if) Stevie boy should pull off an upset (provided it would be an upset at that point) then the Florida faithful will begin to howl like Smokey when he's enjoying a ham bone.
[snapback]96750[/snapback]​

Old..nice post as usual and I think the problem is that most people try to compare what Utah would have done here and there but there really just isn't any way to compare the leagues or the talent level of the players. Obviously the SEC is much better than the MW..but he will be coaching against SEC teams with SEC talent. Whether his option works or not will have to be seen.

I think he will be a good coach for Fl, but he will have some growing pains before he makes it to the promised land

Originally posted by volmanjr@May 20, 2005 5:25 PM
I think he will be a good coach for Fl, but he will have some growing pains before he makes it to the promised land
[snapback]96810[/snapback]​

Yeah I agree...we'll see what he's made of when he plays UT, Bama, then LSU, and UGA in back to back weeks. There will be growing pains with the noise in the system and with the new coaching philosphies as well!

As far as Meyer goes in the Mountain West goes, he didn't beat those teams. He dominated them. Utah didn't even show a bit of anything that looked like weakness. It was the same kind of domination reminiscent of the days of, dare I say it, coaches like Robert Neyland, Knute Rockne and Pop Warner.

Now, that won't attribute a thing to how he'll do at Florida, but I am saying he managed that with talent relative to that of the Mountain West. Very impressive, if you ask me. The question now is whether he can maintain that going into the bigs of college ball.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 20, 2005 7:32 PM
It was the same kind of domination reminiscent of the days of, dare I say it, coaches like Robert Neyland, Knute Rockne and Pop Warner.

[snapback]96843[/snapback]​

Are you related to Urban Meyer or something? :lol:

:lol: I'm not joking... Did you see any Utah games last year? No team they ever played got within two touchdowns of them, and they were playing with talent on the same level as their opponnents.

As I said, though, we'll see how he does in the SEC. His coaching style will have to assimilate to some degree if he's gonna survive, and I'm pretty sure he knows it.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@May 20, 2005 11:27 AM
[snapback]96730[/snapback]​

You're absolutely right, we all have those types of fans... I just have to laugh at talk of dynasty before the guy has coached a game. But regardless, its really renewed interest in the UT-FL rivalry and I'm all in favor lf that... as long as we keep beating you. :lol:

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@May 20, 2005 4:37 PM
Yeah I agree...we'll see what he's made of when he  plays UT, Bama, then LSU, and UGA in back to back weeks. There will be growing pains with the noise in the system and with the new coaching philosphies as well!
[snapback]96814[/snapback]​

Do you think the Florida fans will be more patient with him than they were with Zook?

Originally posted by OldVol@May 21, 2005 12:53 PM
Do you think the Florida fans will be more patient with him than they were with Zook?
[snapback]97008[/snapback]​

UF fans are never patient..I've seen folks predicting an undefeated season and NC in his first season which is pretty ludacris. With the talent in place, I do however expect atleast a 2 game improvement to say 9-3 or so.

Seems reasonable. I predict at least 8 wins for the Gators in a tight race with Jawga for 2nd place in the SEC East.

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 19, 2005 7:02 PM
hes also played them with a lot less tallent....and believe it or not, hes played several BCS conf. teams......you cant talk about him not playing anyone.....he was int he MWC, but i do know he was the only coach to ever take a non-bcs team and lead them to a bcs bowl, i know that he was one of three coaches to have an undefeated team out of 117 schools, impressive.

i agree the SEC is a whole nother level, but he has as much tallent now as he ever has.....i woudlnt doubt him, i think hell do great things
[snapback]96317[/snapback]​

Put the pipe down and back away slowly :shakehead:

VN Store

Back