Shades of 09 vols vs bama

sofflavol

il kick u in the vols
Here me out before I get my head chopped off...tomorrow's matchup intrigues me a lot. In no way am I saying UF is as good as 09 Alabama or we are even as good as the 09 squad, but there are similarities with this ball game if like to take a look at.

1. Over the last 5-6 match ups vs the gators not only have they had the better talent but the SPEED that we could just not overcome, even last season I truly believe UT squad was the better team that night if not for terrible scheme and open field tackling. This years gator team reminds me more of a straight ahead ground pound offense then there usual razzle dazzle speed sweep teams of the past.

2. Our qb situation we are in now is very similar to the crompton days...not much confidence in the pocket and happy feet before the throw. If we can keep the turnovers away this game can be close.

With those two things tenn went down to Alabama with the future national champs and had a chance to win the game with a last second field goal block (2nd or 3rd one of the game might I add).

But what I'm getting to is this Alabama offense was even more loaded than this Florida team with Ingram Julio jones and Richardson. If we can keep the game in between the hashes and work that clock, this game could easily be a competitive game and yes a victory for our beloved vols. If they can play a full 4 quarters no stupid penalties no stupid punt of kickoff returns and no 80 yd speed sweeps, tenn could win this game 17-14 21-20.

I BELIEVE AND YOU SHOULD BELIEVE TOO! anyways go vols as always il be down here in FLA rootin them on.

Here me out before I get my head chopped off...tomorrow's matchup intrigues me a lot. In no way am I saying UF is as good as 09 Alabama or we are even as good as the 09 squad, but there are similarities with this ball game if like to take a look at.

1. Over the last 5-6 match ups vs the gators not only have they had the better talent but the SPEED that we could just not overcome, even last season I truly believe UT squad was the better team that night if not for terrible scheme and open field tackling. This years gator team reminds me more of a straight ahead ground pound offense then there usual razzle dazzle speed sweep teams of the past.

2. Our qb situation we are in now is very similar to the crompton days...not much confidence in the pocket and happy feet before the throw. If we can keep the turnovers away this game can be close.

With those two things tenn went down to Alabama with the future national champs and had a chance to win the game with a last second field goal block (2nd or 3rd one of the game might I add).

But what I'm getting to is this Alabama offense was even more loaded than this Florida team with Ingram Julio jones and Richardson. If we can keep the game in between the hashes and work that clock, this game could easily be a competitive game and yes a victory for our beloved vols. If they can play a full 4 quarters no stupid penalties no stupid punt of kickoff returns and no 80 yd speed sweeps, tenn could win this game 17-14 21-20.

I BELIEVE AND YOU SHOULD BELIEVE TOO! anyways go vols as always il be down here in FLA rootin them on.

I can only imagine what it would have been like had Lincoln made that kick. (1) We are in the top #25. (2) Bama's season is really impacted by losing to us. (3) We make the cover of Sports Illustrated for that week. (4) Kiffin is a hero and we refer to that win 20 years from now.

Point well taken, but keep in mind, the '09 team had some really good talent: Eric Berry, Dan Williams, Janzen Jackson, Montario Hardesty, Luke Stocker, etc.

I like the enthusiasm though, Go Vols!!!

I can only imagine what it would have been like had Lincoln made that kick. (1) We are in the top #25. (2) Bama's season is really impacted by losing to us. (3) We make the cover of Sports Illustrated for that week. (4) Kiffin is a hero and we refer to that win 20 years from now.

Or the two kicks before it!

09's defense was way way better....they actually held up against Meyer and Tebow that year with Eric Berry leading the way....plus you had 5 star recruit Janzen Jackon taking people's heads off. and big Dan Williams on the line....Kiffin actually did a really good job overall that year considering the QB situation and lackluster offnse fromt he previous year that he inherited...but that team did in fact have a lot of NFL talent ad he got that talent playing pretty well by the UGA game..and Hardesty was beastly that year as well...we don't have anyone close to Hardesty on offense...and Crompton at least had a cannon for an arm and legit NFl tools to work with...Worely...ummm.... not so much...

Last edited:

Not likely; UT wouldn't have been ranked. We would have been 4-3 at 7 games into the season; that record doesn't get you ranked at that point in the year, even if you beat the #1 team

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with that...Kiffin's staff was mostly hype.

Kiffin's coaching staff did not have a history of being fired from GA, AUB, OK.

Just go down the list, coach by coach, and do the comparison. Monte Kiffin, Lance Thompson, Eddie Gran, Cheney, etc.

Wait, I forgot, CBJ has the best staff in America -- he told us so, so it has to be true.

VN Store

Back