Shaffer Ahead Of The Other Qbs?

TBALLVOL

The Sentinel is reporting that Fulmer seems quite impressed with Shaffer and that he is had the most success so far in the spring scrimmages...What do you think? Are Ainge and Clausen just slower at shaking off the rust or could Shaffer be finally maturing and could even become all that he was projected to be? Maybe Ainge's shoulder problem is worse than we thought?

You are reading too much into it- it has only been five days. Remember that Schaffer has more to prove than Clausen and Ainge so he should come out firing. he is trying to earn his spot back-It was nice to see that they are giving him a shot at WR too.

Originally posted by VOLracerx@Mar 18, 2005 11:03 AM
Remember that Schaffer has more to prove than Clausen and Ainge

Why is that? Last I heard from Phil, the spot was wide open.

Schaffer also lined up at WR and returned punts during the same practice.

Wre those positive reports of BS from the QB slot only? One report that had him mentioned by Fulmer about his performance, he was working at Wide Receiver.

Why is that? Last I heard from Phil, the spot was wide open. ---

Well as the year wore on he seemded to fall further behind - just an obsetvation - not fact but from where I sit he wasn't exactly leading the charge. So more to prove may not be the best way to say it but the speculation surrounding schaffer would make it seem that he has "more to prove" in order to secure a starting postion - that is all I am saying.

I agree with that. The position may be wide open, and should be at this point. You have a returning senior who has never commanded a starting role, but when he got it, he flourished. You have 2 very talented sophomores that are coming off true freshman SEC starting roles. There is no reasonable explanation for having a favored starter at this point. The job for number one rightfully is starting from ground zero again this year. Whoever gets the nod this time, will then be their job to lose from here on. Unless Clausen gets it, then your back to wide open next year in the spring. But, having ended the season clearly behind the other 2, Brent does have more to prove to move up the chain.

Just not sure that he ended the "season" behind the other two. Last I checked, neither he nor Ainge even got the chance to end the season. Have we already forgotten the spark he provided during the SC game? Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't gotten injured.

Still VERY skeptical that he would risk injury by returning punts into an onslaught of flying bodies.

Well - even beofre the SC game he was tapering off on his performance and getting fewer touches. I would have to agree about the SC game though- I just remember every time he came in he went right back out - 3 and out almost every time. I am not bashing the kid I just think that copared to Ainge and Clausen he has to show more improvement. Over the course of the year you saw Ainge grow in to the postion - yeah he made mistakes but he got better as well. With Brent he started off fantastic and slowed from there, take a look at the cotton bowl - RC throws for 35o yds and 3 TD's and BS comes in and does what ....NOTHING - granted he had not played in a while but I think that is a simple demonstration of the differences between the QB's.

It'll be interesting, for sure. Can't wait for the Orange and White game. You know, it's kind of a nice problem to have, isn't it???

It is NICE!!! If this is all we have to worry about then we should all be happy come fall. Really sounds like a different team attitude, I don't recall reading articles at this point in the year where CPF praises the team and team leadership as much as he has this year - let's just hope it translates into big time wins

Important fact to remember is how banged up we are right now on the O-Line. CPF has stated what a tough time a lot of the young guys on the O-Line are having getting acclimated to SEC football. I guess facing the likes of our DL doesn't help ease the transition. Given the lack of a consistent pocket, the conditions yesterday seemed to better fit Schaeffer's athletic style as opposed to Ainge.

JMO

Schaeffer is a great athlete and can provide a spark but is not and will not be the starting QB this fall.

Aside from his QB abilities, he has too much speed and play making ability to be on the bench and not contributing. If he has the character, he would fill the role Fulmer tried with Banks. Maybe he won't start QB. But, out in the flats with the ball in his hand, you are gaurunteed to see something happen.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Mar 18, 2005 12:04 PM
Just not sure that he ended the "season" behind the other two. Last I checked, neither he nor Ainge even got the chance to end the season. Have we already forgotten the spark he provided during the SC game? Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't gotten injured.

Still VERY skeptical that he would risk injury by returning punts into an onslaught of flying bodies.

I remeber and I wonder what would happen if he had not been hurt. In the days leading up to the game Phulmer said he was coming off a good week of practice. Had he not been hurt, I think he would have earned more snaps through the rest of the season.

Going back to the title of this thread. I would think Fulmer will probably say at some point this Spring that each one of them are leading for the starting spot. I would not read to much into him touting Schaffer right now. In a few days it will be Ainge leading and then probably Clausen. Fulmer wants to get their best this Spring. To name a solid front runner for the job might jeopardize the healthy competion.

Also remember this, this spring the one's are really the 2's and the 2's are really the 3's due to injuries on the O-Line and the fact they really need to build depth so a QB that can run as Schaeffer can will look better for the most part because he can run.

ummmmmmmm! Seems like I remember saying this about four or five times already. Healthy speculation is still fun, though...

Ainge will be the starter (Of that I feel extremely confident!) and Brent will be flanked out for quick pitches, passes in the flat, misdirection, and all the other ways you use a slot back to totally disrupt the opposition's defensive schemes.

:rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

VN Store

Back