Songs you mistakenly thought were by another band/artist...

Brave Volunteer

Have you ever done this? Heard a song on the radio and thought it was by a specific band/artist, only to find out later it was by someone completely different? I have a few where I made this mistake...

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison: For years I thought this was a Rolling Stones song. I thought Morrison's voice sounded a lot like Jagger's here.

Love Hurts - Nazareth: I thought this was an Aerosmith song for the longest time. Sounded a lot like Steven Tyler to me.

Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel: I thought this was a Bob Dylan song for the longest time.

Be Bop A Lula - Gene Vincent: Couldve Sworn this was an early Elvis Presley song!

Fooled Around And Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop: I feel like I should get partial credit for this one LOL. I thought this was a Jefferson Airplane/Starship song, but technically it partially is because Mickey Thomas does lend his vocals to this one!

Last edited:
"I Don't Know Anything" - Mad Season. I thought forever it was an Alice in Chains song. Now this one is a bit understandable since Layne Staley was the lead singer of both but it wasn't until the iTunes/streaming era that I realized Mad Season existed. I searched every AIC album and could never find it and thought it was maybe some b-side or soundtrack song .

"Down With the Sickness" - Disturbed. I thought it was Korn because of the "oh WAH HA HA HA"

"I'm No Angel" - Gregg Allman - As a kid I thought it was Bruce Springsteen.

Down by the Seaside by Led Zeppelin. Thought it was Leo Sayer

On a tangent - I get annoyed when cover bands get the attribution wrong. Saw a band once that played Dreams by the Allman Bro.s and attributed it Molly Hatchet (who had done a cover). Then they played No Angel by Gregg Allman and said it was an Allman Brothers song.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Down by the Seaside by Led Zeppelin. Thought it was Leo Sayer

On a tangent - I get annoyed when cover bands get the attribution wrong. Saw a band once that played Dreams by the Allman Bro.s and attributed it Molly Hatchet (who had done a cover). Then they played No Angel by Gregg Allman and said it was an Allman Brothers song.

Lol at Leo Sayer.

Have you ever done this? Heard a song on the radio and thought it was by a specific band/artist, only to find out later it was by someone completely different? I have a few where I made this mistake...

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison: For years I thought this was a Rolling Stones song. I thought Morrison's voice sounded a lot like Jagger's here.

Love Hurts - Nazareth: I thought this was an Aerosmith song for the longest time. Sounded a lot like Steven Tyler to me.

Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel: I thought this was a Bob Dylan song for the longest time.

Be Bop A Lula - Gene Vincent: Couldve Sworn this was an early Elvis Presley song!

Fooled Around And Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop: I feel like I should get partial credit for this one LOL. I thought this was a Jefferson Airplane/Starship song, but technically it partially is because Mickey Thomas does lend his vocals to this one!

Linkin Park’s “In the End”, when I first heard it playing while shopping at Best Buy, I thought it was Will Smith.

"Lips Like Sugar"

Thought it was from U2 when I first heard it. Turns out it was Echo and the Bunnymen.

The first Bee Gees songs I ever listened to were "Nights on Broadway" and "Fanny Be Tender" from the album Main Course, which had a heavy R&B influence. I thought the Bee Gees were a black R&B band.

[QUOTE="Go aeiou, post: 22347005, member: 65692"]"Dream on" by Aerosmith. I thought it was a Led Zep song.
I missed out on Aerosmith.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post the same thing.................

Also........"Let it Whip" by the Dazz Band...........thought it was Kool and the Gang.:confused:

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back