Sooners won’t mention George Cafego – but I will -Marvin West

“Bad News” George Cafego on blocking Sooners All-America End Waddy Young.
“I was supposed to stick him and I did. I knocked him for a somersault. I tried to kill him but he lived. They helped him off the field.”

Wyatt said that hit took a terrible toll from the Sooners.

“They lost their poise.”

It is OK if Oklahoma’s recollections of that Orange Bowl are a little bit different. Welcome, partners, to the SEC.

As on old fart that article makes me long for the old days when writers were journalists and could tell a story. All we get now a days is mostly garbage with very few facts and certainly no story telling.
That's because of advertisement. It pays to get eye balls on content, no matter the content. That's why most headlines are just designed to grab your attention while being misleading.

As on old fart that article makes me long for the old days when writers were journalists and could tell a story. All we get now a days is mostly garbage with very few facts and certainly no story telling.
I still strongly believe Marvin continues to be the best sports writer in America. At my ripe old age of 85, I have never enjoyed reading any journalist as much as I do reading his stories. He is the very best.

Mommy where's the paste? Cut n paste journalist wannabees(NOT). Just write controversial stuff with good readership numbers and VOILA...you're a journalist in your own mind.

Reactions: Scot Harvath
I watched that game, my first televised football game.
Here is what you and I would have seen that night on TV:

Kremser’s kick is so high over the low goal post, you can’t see the football in the end zone camera. How the ref behind the kicker could have determined when the ball went over goal post is beyond me. Maybe it was wide right the entire time it was in the air but that would have been a terrible miss for a very good fg kicker.

“Bad News” George Cafego on blocking Sooners All-America End Waddy Young.
“I was supposed to stick him and I did. I knocked him for a somersault. I tried to kill him but he lived. They helped him off the field.”

Wyatt said that hit took a terrible toll from the Sooners.

“They lost their poise.”

It is OK if Oklahoma’s recollections of that Orange Bowl are a little bit different. Welcome, partners, to the SEC.
I have never heard of him or the story, but it's fun to look back at the glory days when guys played football for the game instead of the money. OU's athletic department is very happy to be in the SEC because of the $$$. They are really trying to get people excited about the move, but none of the people I talk to are really that excited, mostly meh, we'll play whoever is on the schedule.

A guy who went to my church years ago was drafted out of Tulsa in the 1960's by the Denver Broncos. He told of having to work a blue collar job in the off season because the pay was so low. He said that all of the guys he played with did it for love of the game and school. He went on to be successful in the oil business after his NFL career. How times have changed.

Here is what you and I would have seen that night on TV:

Kremser’s kick is so high over the low goal post, you can’t see the football in the end zone camera. How the ref behind the kicker could have determined when the ball went over goal post is beyond me. Maybe it was wide right the entire time it was in the air but that would have been a terrible miss for a very good fg kicker.

I don't know how the ref behind Kremser called it no good as soon as he kicked it? Marvin West wrote that the kick missed by maybe a foot. So no way the ref could have called it that soon. Another conspiracy!

Reactions: EasternVol
westwords Mr West is at it again with another great UT story about the Legendary George Cafego! To view, click on westwords left corner. View attachment 657206

Off topic but Mike Strange had a column today in the shopper edition of the News Sentinel about the addition of Oklahoma to the SEC and how Tennessee is 1-3 against the Sooners in football.

He referenced the 2016 game in Knoxville when Butch Jones kicked a field goal from the 1 foot line.

VN Store

Back