South Dakota Attorney General Ravnsborg Impeached Over Conduct Following Fatal Car Crash

Franklin Pierce

The South Dakota House voted Tuesday to impeach state Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg over a September 2020 car crash he was involved in which left one individual dead after he reported hitting a deer.

In a vote of 36-31, Ravnsborg, a Republican who took office in 2019, became the first official to be impeached in South Dakota history. Ravnsborg will temporarily be removed from office pending a Senate trial. It will take two-thirds majority in the Senate for Ravnsborg to be convicted on impeachment charges. The Senate must wait at least 20 days to hold its trial, but has not yet set a date.

In narrowly voting to impeach the state’s top prosecutor, the Republican-controlled House charged Ravnsborg with committing crimes that caused someone’s death, making "numerous misrepresentations" to law enforcement officers after the crash, and using his office to navigate the criminal investigation. A Senate conviction would mean Ravnsborg would be barred from holding any state office in the future.

South Dakota Attorney General Ravnsborg impeached over conduct following fatal car crash

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I could understand hitting a pedestrian on the shoulder and thinking it was an animal. But I can only understand if the driver is distracted or impaired. An alert, attentive person only needs a split second to recognize animal or person. And since he drifted onto the shoulder my gut thinks he was negligent/responsible and he knew it.

Glad he's impeached. We do not need more politicians using their office for personal gain or protection.

VN Store

Back