Special Teams

surrealvol

Somebody needs to give me some hope in regard to our special teams next year.

We are going to miss Colquitt and his consistently getting us better field position than we deserved sometimes.

How about Dustin? What's the word?

And will we be able to return a punt?

I live in Hokies territory and Beamerball has made a huge difference in the Win-Loss columns at VT.

I think it is the most overlooked part of our game.

Help me!

I don't know the answer to this one. Our special teams were horrible this past season. Our kick and punt coverage got better in the SECCG and Cotton Bowl though. As for returning kicks, I am tired of seeing our returners run right towards the big pile of bodies every chance they get. I think that it would be a good start to get somebody who has vision AND speed back there to return some kicks.

Well, I would think that we've got so many RB's heading into next season, we could surely take one of them that's not seeing too much action and let him return.

I think our kick coverage is quite good, we just cant seem to get a return for anything, though

Britton should be ok as a replacement punter. He has the talent. Needs to mature into the role real quick and walk away from his off field problems. Returns is the weakest link carrying over. I think the secondary will resolve its issues in the early going and get on track. But, we just need that spark on returns from someone that knows they can do it, and wants to. An ideal place to put a freshman WR with speed and talent that could be used, but would otherwise be redshirted due to depth. Let him earn his future spot on the offense with a show of guts and performance on returns.

I started this post by saying Dustin, but I guess it is Britton, isn't it? Too many Colquitts for me to keep up with.

I think we've got the speed on special teams if we could just get the coaching, I mean we got Heffney, if I'm wrong please correct me but I think that he returned punts for us....And we got Riggs back on Kick offs and we know he's lightning quick and can hit the hole good.....So IMO if we could get some coaching on special teams we'd be OK

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Feb 10, 2005 3:51 PM
I think we've got the speed on special teams if we could just get the coaching, I mean we got Heffney, if I'm wrong please correct me but I think that he returned punts for us....And we got Riggs back on Kick offs and we know he's lightning quick and can hit the hole good.....So IMO if we could get some coaching on special teams we'd be OK

Hefney just doesn't look like a kick returner to me and neither did Larkins. I am thinking more on the lines of Chris Hannon or Smith back there.

The strong recruiting class will help special teams immensely. Our lack of depth at speed positions hurt last year. I predict a turnaround in coverage and returns.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood+Feb 10, 2005 3:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orangewhiteblood @ Feb 10, 2005 3:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-#10_Ainge_#10@Feb 10, 2005 3:51 PM
I think we&#39;ve got the speed on special teams if we could just get the coaching, I mean we got Heffney, if I&#39;m wrong please correct me but I think that he returned punts for us....And we got Riggs back on Kick offs and we know he&#39;s lightning quick and can hit the hole good.....So IMO if we could get some coaching on special teams we&#39;d be OK

Hefney just doesn&#39;t look like a kick returner to me and neither did Larkins. I am thinking more on the lines of Chris Hannon or Smith back there. [/quote]
Hannon and Smith would be nice....They&#39;ve got blistering speed....CJ Fayton would be nice too

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Feb 10, 2005 5:11 PM
Hannon and Smith would be nice....They&#39;ve got blistering speed....CJ Fayton would be nice too

Yeah, for whatever reason, I like the tall and skinny guys returning the kicks. It has always worked well for Miami.

yeah they showed what kind of speed they have at Miami against Florida in the Peach Bowl.......That Hester kid was running like someone was about to stick him in the butt with a hot poker......Typically, the tall skinny guys usually work on the kick return...Like you said...It&#39;s always worked for Miami....Maybe CPF and company will try it out this year

Whoever gets it done, I&#39;m happy. Usually it&#39;s the fastest guy with the best grip on the team. Just do that and let it go.

Who is our special teams coach anyway?

I know he&#39;s done it before, but I don&#39;t want to see the starting tailback also as one of the deep men in KOR&#39;s.

Look for some of the incoming freshmwn helping out onthe return game. Probably
De Morley and Lucas Taylor.

As far as Britton goes Dustin Said that he "Britton has a stronger leg"

I don&#39;t see us using Morley either, but you never know what goes on in the mind of a coach. I also hope like hell we wouldn&#39;t use our starting tailback to return punts.

OK Milo, Why wouldn&#39;t you want one of the best players on the fileding punts or Kick offs. Heffney did it. Name all the great kick returners in College that weren&#39;t a Starter.

I don&#39;t care if their a starter or not I want the best person on the field period.

It&#39;s actually a pretty common thing for coaches NOT to expose big time players as return men. They already get hit a lot and special teams is just another place where they can get hurt.

I&#39;m not sure who handles that. None of the "official" assistants titles lists Special Teams.

VN Store

Back