Special teams

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
I haven't seen any comments about working the special teams yet. Is it just too early in the practice schedule for them to be working on it? As bad as they were last season, it should be the first and last thing done every day. We will need a solid return game and kick coverage to take some of the pressure off.

Also, any word on who's taking on the return duties? I have seen some of the incoming freshmen names mentioned. However, I also saw Riggs name still in the mix. Would the coaching staff really be dumb enough to risk him returning kicks?

They were going through some blocking schemes yesterday and using Riggs, Yancy Inky and the freshmen. Apparently those kids were just bodies on the field and them being there is not significant. what is significant is that Trooper has apparently been named special teams coach in addition to being the RB coach.

I heard that they have been working on special teams drills.

As for kick returns I can't imagine that Riggs would be back there. I think it's wide open and last I heard they were looking at about 10 guys including some freshman like you mentioned.

Geez, I really doubt Riggs would be back taking kicks (even though I use him on XBox). Without a proven backup, the risk of injury seems to great to justify that.

I'd like to see a speedster with good hands and decent size. . . .someone quick but not afraid to take a hit (I absolutely abhor the dancing steps that almost always end up in a poor return). To me, a few of the wideouts might fit the bill -- and, we have a whole crew of them in case somebody went down. Aside from the Freshmen (who will likely need to pack on a few pounds), Swain, Meachem, Hannon, and Fayton are all listed at over 200 pounds. We've got speed at DB, too, and wasn't it Hefney that took one the distance last year (but had it called back)? Yancey also comes to mind, and he's had trouble finding his niche on the squad.

Doc, putting Yancey back there seems like a great idea. He can run and wouldn't shy away from a hit and dart out of bounds. Good to hear that Trooper took over the special teams duties b/c that makes me sure he won't use Riggs back there. I also forgot about Inky and his performance in the O&W game. It just seems that special teams play could put us over the hump this season.

If Riggs is going to be a 25-30 carry a game back, he's going to get a break from return duties. Put Swain and Hannon back there and teach some boys to open up a hole up front.

Inky is suppose to be something else when it comes to the return game. This might be the year that he gets the full time gig.

My money is on Inky, he poured it ON in the O&W game, if he has been doing that consistently, the job is his.

Whoever it is, we need a "threat."

We need someone who is an absolute threat to take it back all the way everytime you kick it to him, not just someone who will make the catch and fall forward for three yards. I'd like to think that one of the freshmen (Taylor, Morley) could be that guy. Hefney was supposed to be one heck of a return guy coming in last season, but I think his one really good return got called back for holding against UNLV.

I read that Jason Allen has been returning some kicks too. I seriously doubt we will see him back there though.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Aug 12, 2005 1:41 PM
I read that Jason Allen has been returning some kicks too.  I seriously doubt we will see him back there though.
[snapback]125902[/snapback]​

If he does, we should throw a few screen passes his way and then he might win the Heistman.

VN Store

Back