Starting line up for the Oregon Game

I'd like to see Tennessee in the Nickel with 2 LBs (Sapp and Maggitt), 2 corners and 3 safeties (using Brewer in a hybrid LB/Spur role). The Vols are going to need all the speed on the field that they can garner. AJ Johnson can sub in goal-line/ short yardage situations.

Reactions: 5 people
I saw this earlier and I thought I read we were getting a could of players back? Maggitt, Jacques etc...

#2/2 Oregon Week Depth Chart - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

They are probably going to get them back into practice and see how much they can handle. I want Maggit out there as much as the next, but he didn't go through an entire practice until a few days ago I believe. In the press conference today Butch said he was optimistic about getting Smith, Maggit, and Vereen back.

I'd like to see Tennessee in the Nickel with 2 LBs (Sapp and Maggitt), 2 corners and 3 safeties (using Brewer in a hybrid LB/Spur role). The Vols are going to need all the speed on the field that they can garner. AJ Johnson can sub in goal-line/ short yardage situations.

Although I'm no coach, this sounds like our best shot. Good post.

Curt is in the 2 deep.

Who is 65 Jacob Gilliam 6-4 // 287 // R-Jr? He's listed as Tiny's back up, thought he was a scout team guy? Not that he couldn't have improved, but not sure if he's played at all yet.

I just don't understand the logic from previous post ^^^^^^ we put sapp and a linebacker (maggitt) with a knee that from what we understand isn't completely 100% and take our best tackler off the field except on goal line situations?

What we need to do is establish the edge on defense from watching the uva game if you keep thomas between the tackles you have a lot better chance of getting off the field he isn't a pure between the tackles runner its when he gets outside its game over

I just don't understand the logic from previous post ^^^^^^ we put sapp and a linebacker (maggitt) with a knee that from what we understand isn't completely 100% and take our best tackler off the field except on goal line situations?

What we need to do is establish the edge on defense from watching the uva game if you keep thomas between the tackles you have a lot better chance of getting off the field he isn't a pure between the tackles runner its when he gets outside its game over

The reason the previous post is smart is because we will need all the speed we can get. I don't know that Johnson is the best "tackler" we have. Last year he might have had the most tackles and did receive praise from the media, etc but he is SLOW! He does however command a presence on the field and is somewhat good at being the quarterback of the defense and that is why he is on the field. As it is said over and over again by coaches as well as Jones is that football is really just who wins the one on one matchups and Oregon is going to have a field day with Johnson on shallow drag routes and trying to defend wide receivers and their fast tight ends in pass coverage. Not to mention we may "want to set the edge" but our defense is going to be running sideline to sideline trying to slow down the opponent's offense. AJ Johnson will not have a big game this Saturday. He just doesn't have the top end speed to make a huge difference. Hopefully I can be proven wrong. Go Vols!

The reason the previous post is smart is because we will need all the speed we can get. I don't know that Johnson is the best "tackler" we have. Last year he might have had the most tackles and did receive praise from the media, etc but he is SLOW! He does however command a presence on the field and is somewhat good at being the quarterback of the defense and that is why he is on the field. As it is said over and over again by coaches as well as Jones is that football is really just who wins the one on one matchups and Oregon is going to have a field day with Johnson on shallow drag routes and trying to defend wide receivers and their fast tight ends in pass coverage. Not to mention we may "want to set the edge" but our defense is going to be running sideline to sideline trying to slow down the opponent's offense. AJ Johnson will not have a big game this Saturday. He just doesn't have the top end speed to make a huge difference. Hopefully I can be proven wrong. Go Vols!

I like how some people add in a "I hope I'm proven wrong". If you have to add that to any reasoning, it means you have doubt about your prediction.

For what it's worth in Coach Jones' press conference he said they anticipate having Jacques Smith back. I guess since the word isn't final they didn't want to list him on the depth chart.

I have nothing against Croom but am surprised he's still starting. I know he blocks well but he has no catches. He has had a couple of opportunities... but apparently either isn't getting open or does not have the QB's trust.

I like how some people add in a "I hope I'm proven wrong". If you have to add that to any reasoning, it means you have doubt about your prediction.

I have no doubt in my reasoning but as a UT fan it would not hurt my pride to be wrong and he be the player of the game but that is not going to happen. By the way I went to high school in Manchester. The almighty Red Raiders! lol Maybe not so much huh. Have a good one

I have nothing against Croom but am surprised he's still starting. I know he blocks well but he has no catches. He has had a couple of opportunities... but apparently either isn't getting open or does not have the QB's trust.

Agreed 18. He's had 2 opportunities, 1 slant vs AP that would've been a TD had it not gone thru his hands and, of course, the perfectly thrown ball on Saturday that he also dropped. He's a great, physically gifted kid... but Smith oughtta be getting the vast majority of snaps opposite North at this point.

Last edited:
Agreed 18. He's had 2 opportunities, 1 slant vs AP that would've been a TD had it not gone thru his hands and, of course, the perfectly thrown ball on Saturday that he also dropped. He's a great, physically gifted kid... but Smith oughtta be getting the vast majority of snaps opposite North at this point.

I like Dallas too. The guy is pretty dependable and is a tenacious blocker.

I have no doubt in my reasoning but as a UT fan it would not hurt my pride to be wrong and he be the player of the game but that is not going to happen. By the way I went to high school in Manchester. The almighty Red Raiders! lol Maybe not so much huh. Have a good one

I dont know about the almighty lol. What year did you graduate?

Curt is in the 2 deep.

Who is 65 Jacob Gilliam 6-4 // 287 // R-Jr? He's listed as Tiny's back up, thought he was a scout team guy? Not that he couldn't have improved, but not sure if he's played at all yet.

He is a walk on. Downright scary that he beat out all the scholarship tackles.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Love Croomster but he either steps up in this game or probably will sit a lot afterwards.

Personally, I think he and North both will have a breakout game vs. Oregon. The Duck's CBs and FSs are talented, but I think Croom and North's size will either result in serious yards, OR wear out the defenders from going up against big guys and then Pig, Smith, and Dallas and our other under 6 foot WRs (maybe Harris at 6-4 too) will just run right by those guys and make big time catches.

They are probably going to get them back into practice and see how much they can handle. I want Maggit out there as much as the next, but he didn't go through an entire practice until a few days ago I believe. In the press conference today Butch said he was optimistic about getting Smith, Maggit, and Vereen back.

Personally, I think they are gonna be used Offensively to really confuse Oregon.

It's also missing Ferguson or Dobbs at QB.

Ferguson is ahead of Dobbs, atleast what had been said by Hubbs and the VQ guys, he passed Dobbs and is pushing Peterman. Sounds like Ferguson is our QB of the future, ready to see him in action.

VN Store

Back