Starting Lineup/Pitching Rotation?

TNVols58

What is all of your guys thoughts that have info on the baseball team this year?

I see the lineup having
C-Gomes
1B-?
2B-Simunic
3B-Brown
SS-Lima
OF-Griffin, ?, ?
DH-Lockwood

SP-Crnkovich
SP-Everett
SP-?
Closer-?

Here will be the likely starters:

C Yan Gomes
1B Jeff Lockwood/Ryan Jones
2B Jarred Frazer/Andy Simunic
3B Cody Brown/Andy Simunic
SS Danny Lima
LF Shawn Griffin/Jarred Frazer
CF Kentrail Davis/Ryan Jones
RF Andy Simunic/Ryan Jones
DH Ryan Jones/Jeff Lockwood

SP Steve Crnkovich
SP Aaron Everett
SP Danny Wiltz
CL Jeff Lockwood

Nick Hernandez, Joey Rosas, Bryan Powell, and Dylan Hochevar will all compete for a starting role or for a spot in the bullpen and one will likely have to close when Lockwood isn't available.

LHP Bryan Morgado is the wildcard. He had an arm injury the summer of 2006, causing him to redshirt last year and slide into the 34th round of the 2006 MLB draft, despite being ranked as the 35th over HS senior that year by Baseball America. If he comes back healthy, that's big.

What about Josh Liles? He was Baseball America's TN Player of the Year

It will be a long year if both Ryan Jones and Jarred Frazier are starting, especially Jones. I don't think I've ever seen a guy like him that hasn't improved ONE BIT since arriving on campus

Frazier's an improving, decent hitter that can steal bases and play a few positions. I really don't understand your gripe there. Ryan Jones played better as a freshman and he should improve on last year. Liles will compete too, but the only OF position clearly open is centerfield, and I don't know his ability to play there, whereas Davis is known for his speed.

Edit: Jones is very good defensively, a well. As good as Liles accomplishments were, he wasn't even drafted until the 40th round, which makes me question if he's just a small town stat guy or a guy with a legitimate baseball future. Most elite Tennessee preps go 1-5 round.

Didn't realize Frazier hit at .275 last year, not too bad. But Jones at .202, he's not a very good baseball player

I'd say that Baseball America knows their TN high school baseball considering how good some think it is. They wouldn't have given the TN Player of the Year award to a guy at a small school in a weak division. The reason he was drafted so late is because he was a LOCK to go to college, told scouts that too I heard. I'd much rather break in a guy like Liles than play a JR that can't hit.

I think BA's a great magazine, no doubt.

That could be the reason Liles dropped, but most guys who flatout choose college over the pros are players going to elite colleges and programs like Stanford, USC, Miami, or Texas. For him to turn down the possibly to be a 1-10th rounder and make some really good cash was doubtful to me, considering he is only attending UT. But if that is the reason, that's great.

TN has had great success putting guys in the pros lately. While it might not be an elite program, in the past few years we've had the #1 overall pick, and 5 other guys that have been drafted in the first 2 rounds. Not too bad. We might not win the SEC every year, but we do just as good a job as any other school in the country of getting players highly drafted.

I'm both illequipped and too lazy to do any research, but I can assure you there are probably 10 or more colleges that have had more players drafted within the first 10 or so rounds in the Delmonico era or even the last 5 years. We've had the Hochevars, Burkes, and Herreras here and there, but its not like we're producing a handful of top ten round guys every year like elite baseball programs do.

I truly respect anyones observation concerning who will probably start where but I assume by the post that maybe you weren't able to go out this fall and observe first hand who was playing where. As I posted in another thread at this site there are some new faces that can and will contribute and most people have heard little about or overlookthe fact that they're there. Based on what I saw, Raliegh knows they are there and he plans to use them. Jared Frazier may play in the infield and may not but I can assure you that he has never fielded the first ball there since Raliegh has been at UT. I figure he'll remain in the outfield. So far as others there, Griffin and Jones will play but I tell you they have serious competition in PJ Polk and Kentrail Davis. Both had good falls and have lots of speed, speed, speed. Ayone questioning if Josh Lilies is legit has seen him play. He is the real deal and probably had the best fall of any of the outfielders. It will not suprised me to see an all freshman outfield at some point in the season.
So far as the middle infield, I witnessed three very good defensive player in SS Danny Lima, 2nd baseman Andy Siminic and transfer SS Cody Grisham. All three can interchange at the two middle positions and never miss a beat. Transfer Trey Burstrom played 2nd periodically but was way behind the other three. I hear he must have seen the writing on the wall and transfered out of UT. Alan Wright and another walk-on who's name I can't remember played some at second. I hear the walk-on kid is now also gone.
Cody Brown in my opinion has 3rd base nailed down and another kid, Tanner Moore looked good there as well. Behind the plate, I see Gomes and new comer Blake Forsyte playing there. Matt Hamaker would have had to be figured into the mix, but I hear he isn't elgible to play this season. Hamaker is a power hitter, who hit several bombs and will be missed.
Lockwood, Gomez and Brown will probably swap it up at 1st. One of them will DH when not playing. So far as the pitching goes, Hochever will not play since he had Tommy John surgery a few months back. The Illinois transfer, Steve Crnkovich will be one of the starters but from that point on, my obsevation would become a guess. Pitching could become this teams problem. I am not a suth sayer by no means but I have been around the game and have taken in several practices and games this fall and am only giving you my opinion. It is certainly up for debate but just because a kids does or doesn't go somewhere isn't the only factor that goes in to why he's at a particular school. So far as Liles; Jackson, TN is alot closer to Knoxville than Miami or Texas. One more observation before I spare you my further intelect. Raliegh seems to not give a damn who played where last year for who. He appears interested in putting the best [;ayers in positions to best help his team win and I figure if you ask the players who were there last year they will tell you, It's a new day and not the Delmonico nation any longer.

I truly respect anyones observation concerning who will probably start where but I assume by the post that maybe you weren't able to go out this fall and observe first hand who was playing where. As I posted in another thread at this site there are some new faces that can and will contribute and most people have heard little about or overlookthe fact that they're there. Based on what I saw, Raliegh knows they are there and he plans to use them. Jared Frazier may play in the infield and may not but I can assure you that he has never fielded the first ball there since Raliegh has been at UT. I figure he'll remain in the outfield. So far as others there, Griffin and Jones will play but I tell you they have serious competition in PJ Polk and Kentrail Davis. Both had good falls and have lots of speed, speed, speed. Ayone questioning if Josh Lilies is legit has seen him play. He is the real deal and probably had the best fall of any of the outfielders. It will not suprised me to see an all freshman outfield at some point in the season.
So far as the middle infield, I witnessed three very good defensive player in SS Danny Lima, 2nd baseman Andy Siminic and transfer SS Cody Grisham. All three can interchange at the two middle positions and never miss a beat. Transfer Trey Burstrom played 2nd periodically but was way behind the other three. I hear he must have seen the writing on the wall and transfered out of UT. Alan Wright and another walk-on who's name I can't remember played some at second. I hear the walk-on kid is now also gone.
Cody Brown in my opinion has 3rd base nailed down and another kid, Tanner Moore looked good there as well. Behind the plate, I see Gomes and new comer Blake Forsyte playing there. Matt Hamaker would have had to be figured into the mix, but I hear he isn't elgible to play this season. Hamaker is a power hitter, who hit several bombs and will be missed.
Lockwood, Gomez and Brown will probably swap it up at 1st. One of them will DH when not playing. So far as the pitching goes, Hochever will not play since he had Tommy John surgery a few months back. The Illinois transfer, Steve Crnkovich will be one of the starters but from that point on, my obsevation would become a guess. Pitching could become this teams problem. I am not a suth sayer by no means but I have been around the game and have taken in several practices and games this fall and am only giving you my opinion. It is certainly up for debate but just because a kids does or doesn't go somewhere isn't the only factor that goes in to why he's at a particular school. So far as Liles; Jackson, TN is alot closer to Knoxville than Miami or Texas. One more observation before I spare you my further intelect. Raliegh seems to not give a damn who played where last year for who. He appears interested in putting the best [;ayers in positions to best help his team win and I figure if you ask the players who were there last year they will tell you, It's a new day and not the Delmonico nation any longer.
http://www.goodpasture.org/news_files/022/gcs_news_022.htm
Hopefully this works out for the pitching staff this year.Pretty impressive to me, southpaw and all, little over 1 era.

I don't think suspended is the correct word concerning Matt Hamaker. I posted "Matt Hamaker would have had to be figured into the mix, but I hear he isn't elgible to play this season. Hamaker is a power hitter, who hit several bombs and will be missed."

My source on this is a father to a UT player I ran into at the mall He said his son had told him Matt was accademically inelgible. Can't swear to it but it is what I was told.

Don't think there would be a Link to it anywhere yet but imagine that in a few short weeks they will update the UT roster since the season is nearing.

how is yan gomes doing right now... i played baseball with him in miami for the same high school and heard he is playin ball for tennesse now.. he was one of the best players ive seen should be a great addition

Yan Gomes was one of our better players last year and made Freshman All-SEC I believe. He plays catcher and first base and should be our best power hitter this season.

Raleigh looking for leaders : Baseball : GoVolsXtra.com

Raleigh expects junior college transfer Steve Crnkovich, redshirt freshman Bryan Morgado, sophomore Nick Hernandez and junior Aaron Everett to battle it out for the three-man weekend pitching rotation.

Danny Wiltz and Jeff Lockwood could share closer duties with Ryne Simpson and Zane Stone taking on mid-week starter roles.

When Raleigh fills out his first lineup card, he expects true freshman Kentrail Davis to be at or near the top of the order as he replaces Borbon in center field.

Senior Andy Simunic has looked good in his shift from the outfield to second base and will bat either leadoff or second.

Lockwood (sophomore first baseman), Yan Gomes (sophomore catcher), Cody Brown (junior third baseman) and Shawn Griffin (senior DH/outfielder) could fill the middle of the order.

Junior Danny Lima returns at shortstop and the left-field, right-field spots appear to be a battle between freshman Josh Liles, junior Jarred Frazier and Griffin.

Raleigh also expects freshman Blake Forsythe to make his presence felt with some time at DH and catcher.

Ryan Jones has decided not to return to the Vols for his junior season.

Jones, an outfielder from Ooltewah, led UT in hitting during its spring Orange and White World Series, but Raleigh said he “didn’t have a reason” for Jones’ departure.

Junior college transfer Matt Hamaker remains with the team, but has been ruled academically ineligible for this season.

Here's a more likely depth chart:

C Yan Gomes/Blake Forsythe
1B Jeff Lockwood
2B Andy Simunic
3B Cody Brown
SS Danny Lima
LF Jarred Frazer/Shawn Griffin
CF Kentrail Davis
RF Josh Liles/Shawn Griffin
DH Shawn Griffin/Blake Forsythe

SP Steve Crnkovich
SP Bryan Morgado