Starting Ol

QBvol7

LT - Toeaina
LG- Young/ Douglas
C- Douglas/Mcniel
RG- Smith
RT- Sears
TE- Brown/ Reed/ Cottam1/ Cottam2

Guys like Eric Young, Anthony Parker, Cameron Mayo, David Ligon, Steven Jones, and Ramon Foster are all getting looks right now due to some injuries. I really think this could be one of our best OL units since 2001. Up for discussion....

LT- Sears
LG-Smith
C- McNeil
RG- Douglas
RT- Toeaina

Solid OL McNeil will come in hopefully in June learn the playbook and be ready to go for two a days!! Should be very good! Not to mention we are deep on the OL this year!

Originally posted by Vols4life@Mar 22, 2005 10:47 AM
LT- Sears
LG-Smith
C- McNeil
RG- Douglas
RT- Toeaina

Solid OL McNeil will come in hopefully in June learn the playbook and be ready to go for two a days!! Should be very good! Not to mention we are deep on the OL this year!

I dont think we start a freshman at C unless injury. Douglas or Smith wll play, maybe Mayo or lIgon also until McNiel comes along.

I'll say it again! McNeil has to be pretty dang special to be the #1 center in the country coming out of HS. If he is a fast learner and gets after it, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the shot! :twocents:

I think Ligon will start at center.

Starting five:

LT: Aaron Sears
LG: Rob Smith
C: David Ligon
RG: Cody Douglas
RT: Albert Toeina

Originally posted by surrealvol@Mar 22, 2005 3:48 PM
I'll say it again!  McNeil has to be pretty dang special to be the #1 center in the country coming out of HS.  If he is a fast learner and gets after it, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the shot! :twocents:

I agree 100% CPF knows his OL if he likes what he sees and knows he can get the job done he will be in there!

It will be the guy with good knees, whoever that is......

Scott Wells was A Frosh when he was forced into starting early in his career and did really well. It can be done but the guy has to be tough and smart. If we have enough guys healthy I don't think McNeil would start from day one. We didn't have anyone else back then. Today we have some options. He could play some though especially if we are going to have revolving qbs. Imagine a different center for each quarterback like pitchers and catchers.

Originally posted by hillbilly@Mar 23, 2005 7:24 PM
Scott Wells was A Frosh when he was forced into starting early in his career and did really well. It can be done but the guy has to be tough and smart. If we have enough guys healthy I don't think McNeil would start from day one. We didn't have anyone else back then. Today we have some options. He could play some though especially if we are going to have revolving qbs. Imagine a different center for each quarterback like pitchers and catchers.

Scott Wells was an average Center at best. They wont start McNiel at center simply because that is the guy who makes the calls at the line of scrimmage and sets all of the assignments. Fulmer wont do that. If McNiel were a gaurd or tackle, then It would be more likely, but no way do we start a frosh at center unless an injury happens.

Sorry,but Wells was better than average and don't you think he made the calls as a freshman. He is playing with the Packers. It is not rocket science and sometimes our coaches make it out to be. In the past WR had to learn all positions. Jamal Lewis couldn't play early because of his blocking. I think an intelligent player can handle it. Can McNeil, I don't know?

Originally posted by hillbilly@Mar 23, 2005 7:24 PM

Scott Wells was a redshirt freshman....big difference for an oline player.

Peace CRoss

Originally posted by hillbilly@Mar 24, 2005 5:11 PM
Sorry,but Wells was better than average and don't you think he made the calls as a freshman. He is playing with the Packers. It is not rocket science and sometimes our coaches make it out to be. In the past WR had to learn all positions. Jamal Lewis couldn't play early because of his blocking. I think an intelligent player can handle it. Can McNeil, I don't know?

Yah Wells was making the calls and McNeil would be too, but what Im getting at is that with a possible national championship on the line, I think Fulmer would prefer to play someone older. A younger guy is more likely to make a big mistake.

hmmm, well, mcneil will start if there is an injury? i believe there was an injury.... to the #1 center candidate in gandy. i dont want ligon at center cuz i dont think he will be good enough and i think douglas is too valuable at guard. smith doesnt wanna play center and i think if were gonna play cam as the starter then we might as well give mcneil a shot.

VN Store

Back