Starting Safeties?

VolsDeep

5 star poster
I'm sure this has been listed/discussed before, but just out of curiosity, who are supposed to be our two starting safeties? I assume the rotating cast, at least initially, is Randolph, Moore, and McNeil?

Of those 3, who do you think ends up being the two starters? And who do you think will be our Nickel guy with Gordon gone?

I would assume those 3. We're not hurting at safety like we are at corner.

Finally, somebody gets it. We have enough quality depth at safety. I've been screaming for corners forever. Payne is a nice start, but we are desperate. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about McDowell, but at some point we need cover guys instead of headhunters.

Finally, somebody gets it. We have enough quality depth at safety. I've been screaming for corners forever. Payne is a nice start, but we are desperate. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about McDowell, but at some point we need cover guys instead of headhunters.

We are at least two seasons away before either of those guys are in a position to make a serious impact.

Reactions: 1 person
Nickel CB should be Johnson IMO. Probably going to see all three freshman play CB in Foreman, Sutton, and Johnson. I think Tino and Orta are candidates to leave the UT program due to non-playing time.

It'll be nice to have someone with the talent of McNeil coming off the bench. Agree with Moore and Randolph starting but McNeil is a baller

anyone else think we should move reeves-maybin to LB, now that we have Mcdowell and TKJ coming in next year???

I always thought he should play OLB, and with this 2014 class that's even more recognizable now. I also think Creamer can play OLB.

seems like randolf might rotate in a little later , coming off injury. mcneil can tackle well in space, moore should get some picks

i agree we need shut down corners. But in order to improve overall defensive speed, high school safties can be molded into fast outside linebackers. i know this doesn't answer questions about this year, but I like the idea of signing safties and then adding weight on them to move to linebacker. add weight on outside linebackers and move them inside. add weight on a mlb and move him to the edge on the line. add weight to a de and move him inside to dt. makes for faster, more athletic defenders as long as there's no loss in power.

anyone else think we should move reeves-maybin to LB, now that we have Mcdowell and TKJ coming in next year???

Don't sleep on Maybin at SS...

S depth heading into 14' is stout. Randolph, McNeil, Orta, Maybin, Johnson, Freshman- Kelly and McDowell

If we can contain the edge and the deep ball we will be alright.

Immediately fixed by coaching... It was the USC game in 3rd and 20 something and we had a single high safety... :no:

I would love to know the 3rd and 8+ conversion % for UT's opponents last year....

Hate to say it but if u kno ur a realist i kno the game u saw that Byron Moore is not even close to an sec athlete .. He's he has some interceptions fall in his lap but the kid is slow very slow .. He may be a good safety in the WAC or Mac with his ball skills but he was running in quicksand last year as opposing players blew past him ..

VN Store

Back