Stoops not interested in UF.

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member

ESPN.com news services
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops issued a statement Wednesday indicating that he has no interest in the Florida job.

"I have great respect for the people at Florida and a lot of good memories from my time there, but to end the speculation that is ongoing, I want to make it clear that I have no interest in the position that is currently available there," Stoops said. "It is a privilege to be the head coach at Oklahoma and I am fully concentrating on having the best season we can have, and in building the strongest program we can build."

Stoops has been facing speculation about his future at Oklahoma -- again -- since Florida announced Monday that Ron Zook was being fired.

Stoops, who was defensive coordinator at Florida for three years before coming to Oklahoma in 1999, turned down the Gators' job in 2002, and his name often surfaces when high-profile jobs open up.

"I'm not here to talk about other jobs, and I'm not going to," Stoops said Tuesday. "There's nothing to talk about. I'm the head coach at Oklahoma, and that's enough said. I've got a great job."

Florida fired Zook after he lost 13 games in two-plus seasons, including Saturday's 38-31 upset to Mississippi State, and some off-the-field embarrassments. Zook will finish the season.

The top candidate to replace him is former Gators coach Steve Spurrier, who avoided questions Monday while playing a charity golf tournament.

Stoops and Spurrier, his old mentor at Florida, talked recently enough that Stoops knew Spurrier shot a 73 Monday.

"That's not for me to talk about, coach Spurrier," Stoops said. "Whatever he wants, I'm all for. Though I talk to coach frequently, that wouldn't be appropriate for me to talk about what we're talking about and what his feelings are."

Darth Visor obviously.
One thing you can say about Steve Spurrier, his motor never stops running.

on tigerforums a guy posted that it got ugly when AD Foley addressed the team and that some playas were thinking of leaving."very heated" was the term I believe. :beer:

Going from Oklahoma to Florida would be a step down. Oklahoma has more tradition, more championships, and Stoops has them as perennial National Championship contenders every year. If he went to Florida and was not successful immediately, the pressure would be on..... and for all the polls and rankings praising the Big XII, the SEC is still the toughest conference to play in! And the SEC EAST is the toughest division in the toughest conference.

Agreed, agreed, my friend. It seems like every week in the SEC is an upset waiting to happen. Just think how many times over the years a "spoiler" has emerged and completely shaken up the standings or ruined a team's lock for a bid in the championship game. (e.g.: There will be a lot of Gamecock fans in Georgia this week)

Stoops is no fool. He's got arguably the best coaching situation in the country and would NEVER consider taking a job in a place with so much trouble brewing, so much trouble winning (as of late), and a Demi-God ex-coach as the fans' favorite to make a triumphant return home.

VN Store

Back