Sunday Night Tidbits

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Some of this has been covered already but here is my Sunday Night rambling.

The QB dilema rages on. From people who have seen both scrimmages it seems like Clausen is the more accurate passer right now and is throwing all of the different passes pretty well. Sanders really seemed to be more upset with Ainge's one interception than Clausen's. Ainge apparently said he thought he saw something and Sanders responed "you better be sure before you make that throw". With Clausen he said he could see what how he made that mistake. At this point it sounds like a really possibility that we will see both guys against UAB.

Overall many will agree that this team overall has as much talent as Tennessee has ever had, but the coaches are very disappointed that no one has stepped up as the number two guy at RB. That was a primary focus of last night's scrimmage and Hardesty went down after one play and Coker had trouble holding on to the ball. Foster does not seem to have set himself apart either. Right now I think it's fair to say that there is a HUGE dropoff after Riggs.

I am hearing that Gandy's injury may be more serious that what we are being told. This injury sometimes requires surgery and is accompanied by a lot of swelling and they just don't know right now what the outcome will be. I think having him back by the Florida game is pretty optimistic. Ligon on the other hand should be ready for Florida. As we know Rob Smith got most of the work at Center but Anthony Parker also got some looks at has some ability at the position. I think it's pretty obvious that Smith is going to be the center for the UAB game and Ramon Foster will be the guy that get's the start for Smith at guard.

Chris Brown has looked very good running routes from the TE position and will obviously be the starter, however we are very limited after that. Cottam has been injured and Reed is just limited in what he can do. We have the opposite problem at FB with Holbert and Anderson being very impressive. As a matter of fact, Anderson has gotten some work in a single back set in goalline situations.

As for the freshman, I think Morley is the guy most likely to see action quickly. He may end up being the #2 guy at both safety positions while Campbell is out. Lucas Taylor has turned a lot of heads with his playmaking abilty and there is some speculation that he may actually get some work as the #3 quarterback. He has a good strong arm, he played QB in high school and actually rushed for over 500 yards in a game. Taylor has also gotten some long looks at returning punts.

Interestingly Matt McGlothlin has been getting some recognition for his hard work. He was kicked off the team but got a second chance and is back on the team this year. Apparently his hard work is paying off. Of course he is not going to crack our starting lineup but it's nice to see him get some props.

Tuesday will be another night scrimmage and UAB preparations should start later in the week.

Not that I want this thread to get ugly, but I can't imagine adding another QB into the mix, who would pull for that guy to start? LOL

Seriously though, I like that Taylor is doing well, but leave the third QB spot to Cooter.

Start Clausen (Which I now think will be announced by Thursday, I thought the last scrimmage was Monday instead of Tuesday.)

Let Ainge and Clausen play against UAB

Keep working both through the two weeks prior to Florida, and if Ainge prepares better, start him, if not, I believe Clausen can get the job done.

I like Anderson in goal line situations.

I LOVE Morley in the mix. START HIM IF HE'S READY!!

Hope Gandy gets healthy, although I think we will be fine without him in both games.

Please stay on topic, you guys can continue your QB discussions in one of those two threads.

I really wish that one of these RB's would step up. It worries me greatly to think that we have Riggs and that's it. Hopefully someone will step up.

There is still time though and our DL and LB's are pretty tough to run against. So maybe after practicing against them, the RB's are going to be great.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Aug 22, 2005 12:57 AM
I really wish that one of these RB's would step up.  It worries me greatly to think that we have Riggs and that's it.  Hopefully someone will step up.

[snapback]129626[/snapback]​

Maybe we'll see a lot of 2 fullback sets and fullback dives?

Honestly, that's probably my biggest concern....sort of.

I mean hell, I know how important the running game is, but I trust Riggs, however, he is one tackle away from an injury, but then again, look at 98, we found two guys to get the job done when Lewis went down, so why should I worry?

Oh...it's all soooo confusing!

The thing that sticks out about Yancy with me is that he is the guy Trooper said would be the back-up last season, and he barely played, then just a few nights ago, Trooper was talking about a guy for this year.

That was the first thing I thought of. As good a job as Trooper does, it seems he backs the wrong guy at the begining of the season.

Well, I'm hoping that one of them will come out against either UAB or UF and break off a big run and continue to do it. If we had a situation with the backs like Auburn had with the Pontiac and the Mini-van, we would be set.

Could anyone imagine another back coming in and doing what I hope Riggs is going to do this year?

Originally posted by duckman398686@Aug 22, 2005 1:01 AM
what about yancey?? seems like nobody talks about him bein in the race :blink:
[snapback]129631[/snapback]​

True. I guess it's hard for me to picture a guy not on scholarship getting much playing time.

I swear, I LOVED the way Ja'kori Williams ran in the O&W game.

I guess he isn't doing what it takes in other ways, but I couldnt belive how fast he was, and how he was dragging guys 2-3 times his size.

Williams has some speed to get around those corners. I was impressed with him in the O&W as well. It's really too bad that this knee injury is keeping him out right now.

Originally posted by duckman398686@Aug 22, 2005 1:01 AM
what about yancey?? seems like nobody talks about him bein in the race :blink:
[snapback]129631[/snapback]​

1. If Yancey is #2 then this team is in big trouble.

As for back-up RB you have got to consider the way these scrimmages are set up and for the most part they have been set up to look at the True Freshmen Hardesty and Coker. They knew from the beginning about Ja'kouri Williams and knew they needed another back. They knew what Foster can do since they watched him him all last fall take it to the 1st team defense.

Morley will not start, Stewart and Hefney are doing the job, but Morley will see plenty of playing time as will Wardlow

i wouldnt say they would be in deep trouble. it seems nobody thinks yancey can handle it because he is so small. travis stephens was small and look how he turned out.

Have to believe 13 days before its " FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE"

Foster is the #2 back. He knows the offense and is steps ahead in protection (came pretty close to tossing the redshirt last season). Im happy he was the one to step up and make his claim.
If the season starts and im wrong, then im just wrong.

I believe Williams could fall behind with his knee injury? Im buying into Hardesty over Coker until either hit the field on game day. Should be a nasty but nice battle until one or both redshirt? I almost think mop up situations calls for 1 of the two above freshmen?

Originally posted by duckman398686@Aug 22, 2005 1:42 AM
i wouldnt say they would be in deep trouble. it seems nobody thinks yancey can handle it because he is so small. travis stephens was small and look how he turned out.
[snapback]129643[/snapback]​

1. He's slower than even Stephens was.
2. His size has nothing to do with it
3. He's not an every down type back and that is why he has always remained 4th string
4. He's not even close to being a Travis Stephens

He's a decent back but not a Top 3 position player for a team with hopes of Championships.
He's a feel good story but don't get wrapped up in that and forget the type of back you have to be to be successful in the SEC.

If he's #2 UT is in deep trouble.

The depth (or lack of) at tailback isn't nearly as troubling as the problems in the defensive backfield (even though they are showing some improvements). The coaches have two fullbacks in which they are very pleased with, and they can rest Riggs by changing sets and formations until the young backs come along. Both of these fullbacks are studs, and each can add different things to the offense. For UT to win a Championship this season the DB's must show vast improvement over last season. Just my :twocents:

Gunner

:gun:

Heres for hoping the 2 fullbacks can both pass block like the QB is their mom. I'm against a 2 fullback set, it basically tells the defense its probably going to be a pass play. The one clear advantage any offense has is they know and the defense does'nt....where the ball is going. I'm not convince our o-line is so strong they can open holes when its clear it's going to be a run, or pass block when its obvious it's going to be a pass, heres also for hoping for no more than 3rd downs with more than 5 to go.

Originally posted by dan4vols@Aug 22, 2005 11:47 AM
heres also for hoping for no more than 3rd downs with more than 5 to go.
[snapback]129703[/snapback]​

I have noticed that we always have a bunch of 3rd and 3's........

VN Store

Back