Supreme Court deals massive financial blow to organized labor

Pack, Pack or We Will Not Back Down...Pack, Pack or We Will Not back Down.........

Tell that to the Public Employee Unions
Most state governmental organizations are run by politically appointed employees. Very few of them have extensive professional managerial experience. They're nothing like managers in the the private sector. Those PBUs have been established because of incompetence among management. Their existence is for different reasons than the typical labor unions like UAW, IBEW, etc. The underlying issues may be the same, but the manner in which they negotiate is fundamentally different

Before the unions changed things there was no insurance, no vacations, no overtime pay, no workman's comp and little regard for safety. There was however long hours and weeks for low wages. Thanks guys.

Before the unions changed things there was no insurance, no vacations, no overtime pay, no workman's comp and little regard for safety. There was however long hours and weeks for low wages. Thanks guys.
Are they still needed in your opinion?

Are they still needed in your opinion?
It’s really not an easy question. At their inception when government was clearly in business’s pocket the unions absolutely did good work and it cost life and limb many a time.

But there clearly is no burning platform today as there was on the inception of unions forming. And the state and federal government at least has to be way more subtle in favoring business now.

No problem euthanized unions going forward of people want to fund it. But this ruling is right on with regards to how those funds are limited I think.

Reactions: davethevol
This does nothing to weaken them. This just gets rid of their ability to do shady stuff themself.

Like any business they need to make themselves relevant, or get left behind.

It’s really not an easy question. At their inception when government was clearly in business’s pocket the unions absolutely did good work and it cost life and limb many a time.

But there clearly is no burning platform today as there was on the inception of unions forming. And the state and federal government at least has to be way more subtle in favoring business now.

No problem euthanized unions going forward of people want to fund it. But this ruling is right on with regards to how those funds are limited I think.

I’m generally against unions and agree, but I still think government is in still in big business pocket. Maybe even more so today.

That said, I agree they have outlived their usefulness. In todays age you can’t get employees and things like low wages, not providing healthcare, etc will hurt the bottom line because nobody will want to work there. We are seeing some of this now.

I say let the market work itself out.

VN Store

Back