Supreme Court sides with cheerleader in 8-1 ruling

AshG

Easy target
Supreme Court Rules Cheerleader's F-Bombs Are Protected By The 1st Amendment

The Supreme Court sides 8-1 with a cheerleader who went on a profanity-laden online tirade after failing to make the varsity squad.

Dissenting was Clarence Thomas, who felt that her speech should be in question due to its extra ability to harm organisations she is an active member of or is heavily associated with.

I believe the majority got it right in this situation. There are still plenty of consequences that the cheerleader can be subject to for her speech, but none of them should be sanctioned or directed by any governing body.
I agree, the school was in the wrong here, although they should be able to take her off of the cheerleading squad if she had be ON it and made similar statements

As long as it goes for everybody. I wonder if it will trickle to employers.

She was. And as it is not compulsory, she also had the opportunity to show her displeasure by quitting.
True but I’m leaning in the favor of the school having the right to suspend her from the team. I don’t agree with what they did and overreacted. Definitely a tricky one.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Why would they not be?

I don't gas about the ruling itself. I guess it is correct all things considered. I am just questioning what kind of parents find the way she reacted to being booted or whatever.. something to be proud of.. I know had I done that, my folks would have grounded me for a month and taken my phone away. Is this the future?

I don't gas about the ruling itself. I guess it is correct all things considered. I am just questioning what kind of parents find the way she reacted to being booted or whatever.. something to be proud of.. I know had I done that, my folks would have grounded me for a month and taken my phone away. Is this the future?
What makes you think the parents feel pride about the daughter's actions? Seems baselessly presumptive. Wouldn't it make more sense to assume the parents are just supporting their daughter's right to free speech?

VN Store

Back