Taco Tuesday Trademark Fight

volinbham

VN GURU
The Long Fight Over ‘Taco Tuesday’

You may have seen the ads where Lebron James is endorsing the fight (sponsored by Taco Bell) to free the phrase Taco Tuesday from trademark protection (basically so Taco Bell can use it in ads and promotions).

One one hand I think we do trade mark too many things like this or the "three-peat" that coach Pat Riley owns.

On the other I'm sure Taco Bell would pitch a fit if Taco John (owner of Taco Tuesday) used taco bell in an ad eg: time to ring the taco bell or offered a loco taco. Likewise I imagine Lebron owns many trademarks surrounding his name and nicknames so it's a little hollow for one batch of trademark owners to only complain about the trademarks of others.

The Long Fight Over ‘Taco Tuesday’

You may have seen the ads where Lebron James is endorsing the fight (sponsored by Taco Bell) to free the phrase Taco Tuesday from trademark protection (basically so Taco Bell can use it in ads and promotions).

One one hand I think we do trade mark too many things like this or the "three-peat" that coach Pat Riley owns.

On the other I'm sure Taco Bell would pitch a fit if Taco John (owner of Taco Tuesday) used taco bell in an ad eg: time to ring the taco bell or offered a loco taco. Likewise I imagine Lebron owns many trademarks surrounding his name and nicknames so it's a little hollow for one batch of trademark owners to only complain about the trademarks of others.
Good read

giphy.gif

similar to The Happy Birthday song being owned. which is why you NEVER hear it on TV/movies/or even businesses who do the cheesy birthday celebrations.

they can't stop an individual, but they can stop a business.

I too get both sides, I am not sure what the correct balance is.

similar to The Happy Birthday song being owned. which is why you NEVER hear it on TV/movies/or even businesses who do the cheesy birthday celebrations.

they can't stop an individual, but they can stop a business.

I too get both sides, I am not sure what the correct balance is.

I believe the copyright on Happy Birthday expired. It's public domain now.

VN Store

Back