talent attrition vs. talent evaluation

daj2576

@aVolForLife
So a few of the recent threads about the talent on hand at UT, the attrition and how those things might influence game outcomes really piqued my interest.

As some of you who have followed my previous threads know, talent is a great indicator of the outcome of a game. You can simply average the past four years of rivals recruiting rankings for each school, put them in an ordered list, and when the two teams play simply choose the one who is closer to the top of the list. You will be right 60-70% of the time.

The first thing most naysayers say is that you cannot tell anything by averaging years of recruiting classes because it does not account for attrition or improvement. The next thing will be that Tennessee does not have the talent on hand to compete. Both points are wrong, in my view.

Using these talent averages seems to indicate several things; 1) that coaches like Jones, Petriono, Spurrier, Kelly etc tend to far over perform what their talent evaluations suggest, 2) that coaches like Dooley, Kiff and Chizik have a history of vastly under performing their talent predictions, 3) most teams end up within a +/- 1 game outcome of their talent based seasonal predictions, and 4) our talent on hand predicts a 7-5 season (actually it shows that the game vs. Oregon is a toss up talent wise).

Here is the ordered list that averaging four years of rival recruiting classes up to 2013 reveals:

• Florida
  • Georgia
  • Tennessee
  • South Carolina
  • Missouri
  • Vanderbilt
  • Kentucky

To address the argument that this list is not indicative of talent on hand without looking at attrition, I evaluated the current rosters for each team in the SEC east as shown for the spring games. This does not count the impact of the incoming 2013 rosters, but does tend to show that attrition is similar across the board as few of the rankings actually changed from the simple averages shown above.

Obviously the following numbers take into account transfers, NFL draftees and others who left before the spring rosters were published. It is also a reasonable presumption that the incoming classes will have far less effect on the overall outcome of the season, no matter how good the class, when compared to the veterans on the rosters.

................5*......4*.....3*...2*.....avg/85
Georgia......3.......30.....29....4.......2.7
Florida.......7.......33.....18....2.......2.65
Tennessee..0......25.....31.....6......2.41
SCAR.........1......17.....35.....6......2.24
Missouri.....1.......7......47.....6......2.19
Kentucky....0......3.......46....17.....2.17
Vanderbilt...0.......4......43....14.....2.04

What I was trying to do is show how much latent talent is on these rosters on average. To do that means counting all of the "starred" players and ignoring the walk-ons and other players with no stars as spring rosters tend to be a bit bloated. So you would assume that this latent talent will be the body of an 85 person roster and that is what "avg/85" means. I calculated the total number of points for each team by multiplying the number of five star players by five, four star players by 4, three star players by 3 and two star players by two. Totaled those, divided by 85 and that gives the star average per player.

If you add up the number of starred players on Tennessee's roster, for instance, you get a total of 62. That is short of the 85, but one would assume that between transfers, late additions and the 2013 incoming class there will be a full roster of starred players. Furthermore, Florida only has 60 starred players remaining on their roster. You can do that for each school and see the trend that attrition is similar across all schools, and becomes a non entity when doing these sort of evaluations.

This is simply a dirty visualization to answer some questions regarding what the effect of talent and attrition have on the roster. This was a very quick evaluation, so I cannot guarantee that the numbers are perfect but they are close enough to visualize the trends.

Just remember the bottom line; if Butch only plays to his talent level we go 7-5. He coached to his talent level his first year at Cincy when he only won 4 games. Every other year at Cincy he was roughly a talent plus three game coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
I was waiting for you to post, but I'm bummed that Dr. Steve isn't giving this information to us.

You crushed it daj... thanks for the info. Love stuff like this.

Took alot of things out of this data. Not the least of which is that Vaginabilt sucks.

Last edited:
Do your metrics suggest franklin is the most overachieving coach in the country? I hate that dude.

Do your metrics suggest franklin is the most overachieving coach in the country? I hate that dude.

Very close to it.

But, unlike Petrino, Spurrier, Jones and Kelly there is a reasonable explanation for Franklin's perceived success last year. That is that Franklin doesn't beat quality opponents. Yes, he over performs but that was aided by playing Auburn/Tennessee who were under performing on historic levels.

It says something when 3 of Franklin's victories came against teams who fired their coaches for poor performance (NCSU, UT, Auburn).

He is certainly getting more out of that roster than anyone could anticipate, but three of those victories could not be duplicated with competent coaches on the sidelines.

I believe this year, Vandy comes crashing back down to reality. They will still over-perform a bit by beating Kentucky and Missouri but that will probably be it for their SEC win total. Their annual game against Ole Miss should be telling and is probably their best/only hope for a 3rd SEC win and that is if Franklin can duplicate his ability to massively over perform.

Reactions: 2 people
In terms of absolute numbers and long-term effect, yes, attrition tends to be relatively consistent across the board. Roughly 35-40% of a given recuiting class do not complete their eligibility at the university with which they signed, for one reason or another. The net effect of short-term attrition on the positional depth chart, however, can be catastrophic. Everyone's expectations for this offense would be significantly higher if we had been able to keep Da'rick Rogers, Hunter, Patterson and Bray in the fold.

With respect to Franklin's 9-win season last year, I have never seen such an achievement more indelibly etched with the words "smoke and mirrors." Not only did he catch Tennessee and Auburn, as you noted, at historic lows but they managed to narrowly defeat a Missouri team after knocking the starting quarterback out of action early in the 1st quarter. Throw in an embarrasingly weak nonconference schedule and the impossible becomes possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Nice analysis. Shows hope!

Would be interesting to see a breakdown comparison by position

In terms of absolute numbers and long-term effect, yes, attrition tends to be relatively consistent across the board. Roughly 35-40% of a given recuiting class do not complete their eligibility at the university with which they signed, for one reason or another. The net effect of short-term attrition on the positional depth chart, however, can be catastrophic. Everyone's expectations for this offense would be significantly higher if we had been able to keep Da'rick Rogers, Hunter, Patterson and Bray in the fold.

With respect to Franklin's 9-win season last year, I have never seen such an achievement more indelibly etched with the words "smoke and mirrors." Not only did he catch Tennessee and Auburn, as you noted, at historic lows but they managed to narrowly defeat a Missouri team after knocking the starting quarterback out of action early in the 1st quarter. Throw in an embarrasingly weak nonconference schedule and the impossible becomes possible.

You said it far better than I could have.

I am not so pessimistic on this years offense though. There will be growing pains but Bray/Hunter/Patterson were used so ineffectively as to be an almost non-entity in my view. Yes we posted huge numbers, but the game plans were always atrocious. And that is a good thing, in hindsight. If Dooley could have figured that out, he would still be here and we would be coming off of a 9 win season.

Jones has shown an ability to turn water into wine. There will be growing pains but I think the change to the so-called "power spread" will show an utilization of the strengths and an ability to hide the weaknesses. The strengths are the offensive line and some capable, though under performing running backs. The weaknesses are some very talented but inexperienced receivers coupled with a quarterback corps of varying skill sets. If Jones can find where the mobility of the QB is maximized with passing efficiency, even our inexperience can be masked. I would look for short high percentage passes and a reliance on the run. It won't be high production, but I don't think it will be inept. The key will be can the defense improve enough to make up for the loss of offensive production. There are playmakers on defense, regardless of the thoughts of those who are using only last years defense to perceive this team.

Last edited:
I agree on all points. "Growing pains" will, indeed, be the operative word. I have faith in Butch's ability to extract the very best, wherever the collective ceiling is there, from this team's offensive weaponry. I fully expect them to be much better conditioned and far more disciplined on that side of the ball, and to manifest a "fight-to-the-finish" mentality. Although it would have been unrealistic to have expected it, I do believe, nevertheless, that Butch would have loved to have last year's receiving corps back. Yes, their talents were never optimized at Tennessee, but I believe that another year under Butch's tutelage would have transformed them into more polished players, ones that were more truly NFL-ready.

When all is said and done, however, the statistical dropoff in offensive productivity will probably be more than offset by improvement in defensive performance. At least I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back