Tampa 2 Defense (Pros and Cons)

ZombVol

Destroyer of Planet Earth
After 6 games of watching the famous Monte Tampa 2 I have noticed a few strengths and weaknesses. This is all just my opinion on my observations. Florida and Ohio figured out the way to beat the T2. They ran the ball to the outside and took advantage of the "3 Gap" therfore they took advantage of the T2. Auburn was able to put up points on out D, not because they beat the T2, but because our D was tired from being on the field too long. Here are some of the Pros and Cons of the T2 that I have noticed. And the fact that they use the Tampa 2 themselves.

Pros: Running up the middle is extremely hard for a RB or QB.
Pros: The bomb is very hard for a QB.
Pros: Rarely a TE will be able to get open.
Pros: The option is not an option against the T2.
Pros: Under center snaps have to be fast or you will be rocked.

Cons: The run to the outside is very easy for a RB.
Cons: Shotgun is a must against the T2, in order to see the field properly.
Cons: The “3 Gaps” are very hard to defend. *See Pic*(Yellow)
Cons: The wildcat is the T2 Kryptonite.
Cons: Speed will prevail against the T2.

43holes.gif

The T2 is starting to become really popular in the SEC due to opposing coaches noticing how well Monte is coaching it. Auburn and LSU use the T2 heck of alot. Again the Pros and Cons are just my opinion so please don't hate. If you have anyting to add or critic, please feel free to do so. Help me out on my research of the Tampa 2 with instances and plays where the T2 has failed or prevailed. And I'll add them to the Pros and Cons list.

We played a heck of a game against Gerogia! Go Vols! :rock:

Nice analysis but the T2 is built for speed. The scheme relies on the defense knowing their assignments to the T and being faster than the O's. The biggest problem, and this is where recruiting will show in the next few years, is that we aren't as fast as we probably need right now. The talent just isn't where it needs to be with this scheme but CMK and compnay are doing one h$#@ of a job putting our guys in position to make plays. The D-line and DB's are key. The faster the ends and DB's we have the better this system works. It tends to give a little but they pay when they catch the ball by having guys ready to deliver the big hit. :eek:k:

DB's and D-Line aren't anymore key than the LB's. If your LB's aren't fast enough for pass coverage, you're in trouble. Quite simply, speed is key at every position on D.

We have used the true Tampa 2 only about 10 percent of the time this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The spread is effective because it gets guys out of their gap responsibility's. Forces teams to cover more of the field. It's transforming the game into one where smaller linebackers and speed are key. That and having someone in the middle to demand a double team. Even with all of that it's still tough to stop if you have someone like a Tebow that can lower his head and get 4 yards anytime he wants.

I swear some of you guys act like the "Tampa 2" is ALL Monte runs when infact it's not. Do you not realize that he schemes for every opponent differently? It's not like Monte came in and said "Ok boys, here's the Tampa 2!! This is going to be out defense against every opponent on every down!!"

I swear some of you guys act like the "Tampa 2" is ALL Monte runs when infact it's not. Do you not realize that he schemes for every opponent differently? It's not like Monte came in and said "Ok boys, here's the Tampa 2!! This is going to be out defense against every opponent on every down!!"

+1

We have used the true Tampa 2 only about 10 percent of the time this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Exactly right, EB has played LB for than he's played back in the saftey position. And without great LB play your not going to see the Tampa 2. Also, UT has Bama, USCe, and UK who run more of "traditional offense.

This. 100% this.

We've also been getting torn up by the screens. I don't know if it's just good play calling that keeps us off our toes or if it's a weakness in monte's schemes (whichever one ;) )

We've also been getting torn up by the screens. I don't know if it's just good play calling that keeps us off our toes or if it's a weakness in monte's schemes (whichever one ;) )

Screens are used to counter blitzing D's on every level.

Part of the chess game in football.

VN Store

Back