Ten Thoughts (Austin Peay Game Week Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
It's that time of year again. Other than doing the basketball game reports, this is my favorite thread to do. The "Ten Thoughts" edition during game week. I love doing these and having football discussion with you guys. Let's start the Butch Jones era.

1. Play with passion- Let's be honest. Austin Peay sucks. UT could probably not watch any game film and win. However, this is an important game. UT needs to find its identity and rhythm on both offense and defense, and APSU is a good opponent to do that before going against Western Kentucky next Saturday. That means the starters need to play with a passion and purpose for every snap they are out there and not take plays off. Butch Jones won't stand for that, even against a bad opponent.

2. Get Justin Worley comfortable- Butch Jones has deemed Worley the starter and seems to have stated his case that there won't be a QB rotation going into the season. That means Worley needs to get going early and get some confidence. I would like to see Bajakian get some easy slants, curls, and screens for Justin and get him in rhythm. Don't make every play a pass play, but let Justin find his groove and establish that he can control this offense.

3. Player to watch on defense: Cam Sutton- Ah yes, the joys of a freshmen cornerback starting. It's hard to hide one. You can't really take him out on certain situations like a linemen or a linebacker. He's going to play a significant portion of the snaps. Cam needs to play calm and not get rattled. I want to see some aggressiveness from him, but to play his assignment. Will be interested to watch him.

4. Player to watch on offense: Pig Howard- Butch Jones has praised Howard the last two weeks immensely for his development. He has tons of talent, and I'm curious if Jones and the staff get him the ball. It is possible they wait till Oregon to showcase him, but he is no doubt going to be a factor this season and I would venture to say he's going to be Worley's safety net this season. I'll be watching to see if their chemistry is good.

5. Will the front four get a pass rush?- Even when Tennessee has played underwhelming opponents in the past, the Vols still just have not generated a pass rush with four guys. Let's see if it's a new era in UT. Don't let the quarterback breathe today. Make sure you come aggressively and send a message early. This will give Janacek some breathing room and he can focus on the back seven and their coverages instead of taking risks and sending blitzes later in the season.

6. Expect a lot of vanilla with your helping of Vol football- I doubt Janacek and Bajakian show much Saturday. Expect a lot of inside run zones and standard two man under/cover 2/cover 3 coverages on Saturday. I bet UT will try to run a good bit, but you won't see much play action or multiple pass routes Saturday. I would expect very few blitzes also.

7. Will the linebackers be aggressive?- Last year, it was like watching "The Walking Dead" with all those confused stares, hands up in the air, and walking before the snap. This year, I expect the linebackers to be in position and for them to get their assignment down. Also, will they be aggressive and go after people, or revert back to last year's way when they tried to let the action come to them? Will they go and make a tackle, or wait for the ball carrier to make a move.

8. How will Devrin Young handle the return duties?- UT is going to sorely miss what Cordarrelle Patterson brought in the return game and his ability to get UT great field position. We know Young can handle a punt, but can he make big plays and make people miss in space if given the chance? Tennessee's offense might struggle early in the season, and good field position will make everyone's job easier.

9. How much trust does Butch Jones have in Mike Palardy?- Interesting question with the first game against a weak opponent, but if UT gets stuck between the 30-35 yard line on APSU's side, will Jones trust Palardy to make those kicks, especially since Jones won't need to chase points? This could be a tell if Palardy has improved this season.

10. Expect a win this Saturday- It's going to be fun to watch the start of the Butch Jones era, and UT should win in a blowout while the backups should start playing early in the 4th quarter. Yet don't expect to take a lot from this game and how Tennessee projects moving forward. However, it will be nice to see which players have progressed and how they perform under the new staff. Grab some friends and family, grill some damn good burgers and dogs, enjoy your sweet tea, and hope for a good season and be thankful for another season of UT football.

Go Vols!!!! :hi:

Reactions: 14 people
Can't believe I forgot about the pace and its importance, but I can get to that next week for WKU.

And thanks Ben.

11. Randolph's recovery and in-game performance. I think him being healthy in the secondary will have a lot of impact on our D!

Reactions: 1 person
Execute. I don't care if they run only five plays but I would like to see a Vol team for the first time since Cut (both times) left execute with precision and discipline.

Reactions: 1 person
Even though it will be limited playing time the return of Curt Maggitt is the true story of the defense, he is the leader on the field and the pulse because he can bring pressure on the QB, then the frosh on the back side will not be as much of the issue on defense.

Great stuff! I'm also really excited to see Cam Sutton. After hearing Chris Treece rave about him on the radio the other day, it sounds like he's got the chance to become a special player. Hopefully he can play at a level above a typical true freshman corner. I'm sure he'll get tested a lot this year.

bart-scott.jpg

Execute. I don't care if they run only five plays but I would like to see a Vol team for the first time since Cut (both times) left execute with precision and discipline.

I agree, sjt. Execution and limit the mental mistakes. ...and no injuries

I'm getting giddy about this game! I know it's going to be an easy win, but I can't wait to see our boys in orange once again.

VN Store

Back