Ten Thoughts (Oregon Game Week)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
1. Force all runs inside- Oregon's skill players have as much speed as anyone in the country, specifically at running back with De'Anthony Thomas and Byron Marshall. Oregon can run between the tackles very well, but they will beat you one-on-one matchups outside the hash marks. That means UT must collapse the edge and funnel everything toward the DT's and LB's to prevent big runs.

2. Take what the defense gives you- Oregon likes to blitz and get the ball quickly for their offense. That means not forcing the issue when something is not there. If the only thing available is a five yard scramble or a dump off to the back, take it and fight another down. You cannot try to make big plays if it's not there against a team like Oregon. They will make you pay.

3. Have the CB's play aggressive- Oregon can go deep, but they are mostly a methodical team, meaning they will run 6-10 plays and drive the ball down the field. Oregon does not attack deep with passing plays, but they love routes that are less than ten yards, especially hitches and slants. Coleman and Sutton have done a good job so far this year, and having them play straight man-to-man will help the run defense so McNeil can play inside the box.

4. Set up play action- The run game is going to be very important for UT to be successful, but you can't be one-dimensional. Worley will have to make solid ball fakes and take advantage of one-on-one matchups on play action passes. Oregon has their corners play man-to-man, so UT will get opportunities deep.

5. Read and swarm on screens- Oregon runs screens better than anyone in the country. They do it a myriad of ways. They use bubble screens, slip screens, play action screens, packaged screens, etc. Tennessee must correctly read the screens early and then must swarm to the football. You can't take a play off in their screen game. They have tpo many athletes that can make one cut and score on a 60 yard play. The defensive ends cannot go after Mariota on screens. He gets the ball out too quick.

6. Mix up the run plays- Tennessee has been very vanilla in their run games. You have seen very few read options, no pitch options, etc. Tennessee must counter what Oregon does on the defense line and keep them off balance. UT will run 40 times. You can run the inside zone to the right side every single time.

7. Offensive players to watch: Alex Bullard and Zach Fulton- Tennessee likes to pull the guards on zone plays. Bullard and Fulton will go against a very fast front seven that likes to stunt. If UT will run successfully, Bullard and Fulton must be quick and get a push down field.

8. Defensive player to watch: Daniel McCullers- I sometimes forget he is playing the game. He has, so far, been disappointing this season. He can turn that around. Oregon is going to run between the tackles. His size can cause problems and make Thomas and Marshall hesitate and get stuck in the backfield. He must be dominant on first and second down.

9. Be aggressive- You don't want to be stupid and force plays, but go after Oregon. Blitz them when on defense, and push tempo down their throw when on offense. If a down field throw is there, be confident to make that throw. Do not sit back on defense. Tackle hard.

10. You have nothing to lose- Tennessee is a 20 something point underdog. Oregon is expected to win with relative ease and move on next week. This is a chance for Tennessee to start their ascent as an elite program again. The odds aren't looking good, but it's an opportunity that every player and coach should be greatly excited about.

Go Vols!!!! :hi:

Reactions: 9 people
Quality post ZJC, it'd be more of a game if injuries and "heat exhaustion" weren't a factor. I'll be watching regardless and I hope to see the Vols play their hardest without giving up.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post - but I HATE #3 with young corners. Those guys lose ball awareness a lot over the top.

Good post - but I HATE #3 with young corners. Those guys lose ball awareness a lot over the top.

Limiting Oregon's big plays would be one of my top priorities.

Mariota scares me to death.

Force everything inside and see how many tackles AJ and company finish with.

This is a great tune up game for the SEC schedule....play well then give Florida HELL!!!!

I agree!

Learn all you can from this game. This will be a rowdy crowd, crazy fast team, and maybe the best team UT faces this year.

Do the best you can in this game, then go beat the crap out of Florida!

Reactions: 1 person
Limiting Oregon's big plays would be one of my top priorities.

This and keep it close at the half.

Contrary to years past, I think this is a second half team. The O-Line size will really help as the game wears on.

If Oregon is still playing hard and trying to score in the 4th qtr, the VOLS are having a good night.

Not alot of teams on the Ducks schedule put them to the test, so they just go into cruise control and run the same 3 plays the entire 2nd half.

Really, that is what the VOLS should hope for. Make Oregon play all 4 qtrs hard.

Keep it underneath and in the middle on defense, tackle, and dominate the LOS.

Establish a formidable running game, utilize the screen and play-action, and hope for a couple of big plays down the field.

The kicking game will have to be dang-near perfect.

Win the turnover margin.

That's all I have.

1) Cover two shell with a high and low safety ...keep it all in front of you
2 ) gap control all the way , everyone must stay in their lanes
3 ) No true pass rush ,,edges come to the QB under control and force bad decisions in the read option
4) back to #2 ..respect the weakside E gap at all times. It must be assigned and guarded even if the play is center or strongside . The E gap cutback is money to zone read teams.
5 ) tackle ...not enough to be there . Gotta make the play
6 ) Innovation - invert the safeties and corners. Give them the 6 yard cushion and then mug them when they complete it . Blitz to empty areas of grass that they like to run to , creating an obstacle coarse of surprises
7 funnel the run ...tell then where you are willing to let them run ( pick the area you will leave open ) and then punish them for running there

I think if we use a punishing run funneling system when we are willing to give up some yardage but in the spirit of the cover 2 , collapse and punish , we could actually force their finesse offense into a dogfight. I like this mind set because they are going to score regardless of what you do and this approach allows you to keep it in front of you , slow it down , and allows you to put hats on ball carriers and cause turnovers.

Keep it underneath and in the middle on defense, tackle, and dominate the LOS.

Establish a formidable running game, utilize the screen and play-action, and hope for a couple of big plays down the field.

The kicking game will have to be dang-near perfect.

Win the turnover margin.

That's all I have.

And have one or two things go our way... calls, fumbles ect.

VN Store

Back