Tennessee poised to surpass milestone not seen since the Johnny Majors era

This struck a chord with me, because I've been trying to recall the last time I felt so confident about a Vol football team as I do now. And I think it might be that Sugar Vols team.

There was just something about the way that team carried themselves after Tony's injury that made me feel like we always had a good chance to win. I even told people before the bowl game not to be surprised if we won. I was strangely confident, despite all the pundits favoring Miami. I really felt like we could have beaten anyone that year.

I'm not making any predictions about how far this team will go, but I get the same vibes. Even in our national championship season, I always felt like we needed to get the breaks.

This struck a chord with me, because I've been trying to recall the last time I felt so confident about a Vol football team as I do now. And I think it might be that Sugar Vols team.

There was just something about the way that team carried themselves after Tony's injury that made me feel like we always had a good chance to win. I even told people before the bowl game not to be surprised if we won. I was strangely confident, despite all the pundits favoring Miami. I really felt like we could have beaten anyone that year.

I'm not making any predictions about how far this team will go, but I get the same vibes. Even in our national championship season, I always felt like we needed to get the breaks.

And we sure needed them. Syracuse, Arkansas, that squeaker versus Florida šŸ™

I remember the ā€˜98 team didnā€™t allow a TD in 11 quarters. It started against Houston in the 4th quarter, the full games against Auburn and Georgia, but then gave up a TD against Bama in the 2nd half.

The ā€˜99 team (which, in my opinion, is the best defense I have ever seen at UT, and I began been watching UT football closely in 1997) didnā€™t give up a single rushing touchdown through the first 7 games. Notre Dame scored a rushing TD against UT in the 8th game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back