Tennessee Squat Plus Workout

I'll say this I have watched some other vol lifting videos in the past and this is the first one that I have seen where the form looks pretty good.

Am I the only one surprised they're not going to parallel depth on their squats? He said they only go to hamstring depth because they're not power lifters. I thought most of the strength development from a squat comes at the bottom and that was critical for athletes.

Reactions: 2 people
Not full squats just means not to catcher's stance. Not a necessary depth for football conditioning. Squats on video were parallel or better.

Not full squats just means not to catcher's stance. Not a necessary depth for football conditioning. Squats on video were parallel or better.

The first squatter was the only one where I could tell and he wasn't hitting what I was taught was parallel. His hip pointer was still above the knees when he started back up so the top of his leg wasn't parallel to the ground. Maybe he was just warming up.

All the other squatters looked like they were going fairly deep but the angle made it hard to tell how deep they were.

I hadn't heard the terminology the coach used before though. He said 'hamstring' depth. I've heard 'parallel' and I've hard 'a-- to grass' with the former being the preferred depth for sports. Maybe what's he's describing as hamstring depth is parallel and catcher's stance is a-- to grass?

Am I the only one surprised they're not going to parallel depth on their squats? He said they only go to hamstring depth because they're not power lifters. I thought most of the strength development from a squat comes at the bottom and that was critical for athletes.

Strength development comes from the eccentric or "controlling" portion of the exercise, so the bottom or top of the lift doesn't really matter. :salute:

I hadn't heard the terminology the coach used before though. He said 'hamstring' depth. I've heard 'parallel' and I've hard 'a-- to grass' with the former being the preferred depth for sports. Maybe what's he's describing as hamstring depth is parallel and catcher's stance is a-- to grass?
Every trainer has their own terminology. I used "full" for complete ROM from bottom to erect. Parallel for the thighs/femur parallel to the ground.

The full squat inhibits the bounce or plyometric rebound which all parallel squatters usenaturally or purposefully.

Strength development comes from the eccentric or "controlling" portion of the exercise, so the bottom or top of the lift doesn't really matter. :salute:

I agree, for the most part. The eccentric phase, as you said, the "controlling" of the exercise is the primary developer in muscular strength and hypertrophy(size). However, the concentric (contracting or shortening) phase should not be neglected.

The YouTube video did not provide adequate angles to fully critique the form and positioning for most of the squats. From what I did see, the lifts coincided with the claim that the athletes are not powerlifters, but simply aiming for a range of motion that focuses on hamstring depth.

I also want to note that I like that the coach wants the athletes to focus on initiating the lift with the hips, not the knees. As simple as that sounds, that technique is critical.

VN Store

Back