Tennessee vs Oregon: Offense (play by play)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ljJaO3GkY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person
Freak, thought I would use my 1,000th post to thank you for all you do in making this site the best!! You do an amazing job, man...keep doin' what you do!! GBFO!!!!!

So a few things just from watching this:

Worley is not getting it done. Not being asked to dona lot and is still coming up woefully short.

Peterman looked more the part than I thought he would. Good zip and just seems more confident with his throws.

So are our qbs told to always give the ball? I didn't see one QB keep on a read. That gives the defense quite the advantage.

I like the way lane runs.

The o line got significantly less push than I imagined they would.

WRs dropped a lot.of balls.

Thanks Freak, I really appreciate the work you put in getting these out to us.

Point 3 in my opinion has got to change - to be successful with this offense or any offense you have to stretch the field both vertically and horizonally - if not you are only forcing the defense to defend a small area - you make their job significantly easier. Find a wide receiver and stick him at quarterback if you have to - but if we are going to run this offense we have to have the qb carrying the ball part of the time.
So a few things just from watching this:

Worley is not getting it done. Not being asked to dona lot and is still coming up woefully short.

Peterman looked more the part than I thought he would. Good zip and just seems more confident with his throws.

So are our qbs told to always give the ball? I didn't see one QB keep on a read. That gives the defense quite the advantage.

I like the way lane runs.

The o line got significantly less push than I imagined they would.

WRs dropped a lot.of balls.

did not watch the game. just watched the replay on here. Thanks BTW.

1. i love the scheme we have. it seems to create some great open receivers.
2. our offensive line needs to be much more assertive. both on the run and the pass.
3. we need a new qb. the qb in this scheme will be running a lot and Worley can't pass on the run. or standing still for that matter.
4. our backs run much harder than last year but sometimes they cut back to much and miss a wide open hole. (Hill looked really good, as he did in the O and W game.)

Everyone talks about how Worley is a game manager and doesn't make mistakes, but in all honesty he's lucky he hasn't thrown a ton of interceptions...

Offensive Line underachieved against only a 3 person front.
QB missed throws however he was throwing to new WR due to injuries in Pig and J. Johnson.
No depth on defense what so ever, walk on had to come in at safety...

Nice work. We can see what works and what needs improvement. It looks to me like lack of execution of some plays lead to the chains not moving. You have to keep an offense like Oregon's off the field. They have UCLA and Stanford back-to-back. That's gonna be tough unless they really are the real deal.

After reviewing all the offensive plays posted by Freak...thank you freak btw....Worley had not only open recievers in better positions than the ones he threw to but also could still be running to this day on a couple of plays. Guess we will find out if he can recognize those opportunities and grow a pair to exploit them or just lead us to meritocracy until CBJ gives Peterman a shot. I'll hang up and listen.

The game got away from us at the point when score was 17-7, Oregon, and we had a little drive going with a first and 10 at the Oregon 45. Then three straight incomplete passes, drive over, they score, game over. The first pass was a deep one--and probably was a bad call. The next two Worley was under pressure. You have to have an effective short passing game to take pressure off your running game on first down.

After watching that, I'm convinced we could have run the ball so much better and worn Oregon's D down some. Neal missed some nice big holes (Lane should be starting rb) and the qb could still be running had he kept the ball when the opportunity presented itself. One big thing that stood out was when an O lineman would pull or come off the line to get out in front to run block, many times they would get too far out ahead of the play and then be in a bad position to make the block anyway. I see some very fixable things in that film. Thanks Freak!

Thanks for doing that Freak. I know that had to be a little painful to do.

This makes it pretty clear that inaccurate throws were momentum killers. Give the ball back to a team like Oregon that many times and the result was what you would expect. Coach Jones was absolutely right about no big plays, it's a shame too because there were 4-5 times a receiver was open for one and we simply didn't connect.

I'm not sure we could have won this game, Oregon is that good, but we sure could have made it closer with some execution in the passing game.

After watching that, I actually feel a little bit more hopeful for the rest of the season. We were close on several plays. With a little better QB play we could have extended many of those drives and who knows what happens if we keep their O off the field more. The line played better than I initially thought. To me, Tom Smith and Alden Hill look like the best backs, but they probably weren't playing against the first team D much. Lane looks better than Neal. I just don't understand why they always want to cut back before the play develops? They seem to be hopping around looking for that cutback even if they have a hole in front of them. Biggest key to me is better QB play (better timing, seeing the field better, better reads, better throws) and for the RBs to press the hole and run downhill. I'm sure the WRs are making mistakes too but I don't have enough knowledge to even watch the film and critique that.

Even if that sounded rough, I really think most of it is fixable. I may have orange tinted glasses on but I'm encouraged by our talent now.

Still think depth on the defensive side of the ball will be our downfall this year. It's never good to have 3 walkons playing in the secondary period, especially at the same time.

This makes it pretty clear that inaccurate throws were momentum killers. Give the ball back to a team like Oregon that many times and the result was what you would expect. Coach Jones was absolutely right about no big plays, it's a shame too because there were 4-5 times a receiver was open for one and we simply didn't connect.

I'm not sure we could have won this game, Oregon is that good, but we sure could have made it closer with some execution in the passing game.

I agree. Missed some runs that could've made a difference too. We did have a couple of drops too.

VN Store

Back