Tennessee vs. Oregon Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
1. If you let this affect your thinking towards Butch Jones on whether he is a championship coach or not, then you are a fool. Oregon not only is the better team, they are one of the five best programs in the country right now, while Tennessee has its fourth coach in six years. It is what it is.

2. However, that doesn't mean there should be no criticism. I was disappointed with Jones with his mindset in the first half and his lack of risks. He had multiple chances to get UT momentum by going for it, and he passed. You literally had nothing to lose, and you acted like this was a game vs. Austin Peay.

3. Justin Worley is not the quarterback for UT. I'm not saying a quarterback change right now, but he's not your QB of the future.

4. Say what you want about the situation that he came in for, but Nate Peterman looks more confident at QB than Worley. I also like his body language better.

5. The linebackers have either been horribly coached or, to put it bluntly, a bunch of dummies. They fell for every single play fake Oregon went with. They didn't follow the ball or Mariota's eyes, they went with the direction of the play. That's rule number one not to do against Oregon. Horrible.

6. I'm somewhat disappointed in the offensive gameplan. UT didn't come out and try to establish the run. Sure, they called run plays, but it was a lot of lame duck outside runs, which Oregon is great against. Also, why can't the O-Line get to the second level against anyone?

7. Offensive Player of the Game: Marlin Lane. It's simple. He should get 20 carries a game. He cuts quicker, he hits the hole faster, he will get you extra yards. I really like watching him run.

8. Defensive Player of the Game: Marlon Walls. He's the only player who didn't quit. He's the only that show passion. He's the only one that helped teammates up every time he was in. He did a pretty job containing the edge, being the only one. He had a batted ball. I enjoyed watching him play today. Good for the senior.

9. I thought the wideouts did a good job getting open on pass plays, but just didn't connect well. They had some openings and ran good routes against a talented Oregon secondary. That's a positive.

10. This game never happened. Forget it. UT has bigger gator to fry next week. They can totally change the season against a vulnerable Florida team. Tennessee can still have a good season. One game doesn't make a year.

Reactions: 19 people
Agree with most of your points, but if Worley starts next week, we've got no chance of winning that game.

Reactions: 6 people
#s 6 through 10, especially #s 6 & 7, I'm right there witcha. The others I need to mull over some, #1 I don't have a lot of issues with as well, just some. CBJ still has my total support, OU to me, may be a top 10 program, they're not in my top 5.

Totally agree. I just want a freshman QB that's all I ask. I'll ride and die with that.

One that we can actually run the option read with for heavens sake.

Even some Swag and confidence would be great also.

Agree with everything but Worley should be benched. We had receivers open, he just could not hit them. He is either high or in the dirt no exceptions. We did play scared, not what you want, but Butch is the man.

Agree with this outside walls being only one who did not quit. Whole team kept hitting ect.

Worley can't be starting. Doesn't look confident and petermans arm strength is way better.

Need a QB change. We run a read option run play many many times and the QB has not kept the ball once in 2 weeks. Kind of kills the idea of the play.

Reactions: 3 people
worley will start, but butch has said PT will be based on performance, so we will see if he finishes the game

3. Justin Worley is not the quarterback for UT. I'm not saying a quarterback change right now, but he's not your QB of the future.

I will agree with the change in QBs and hopefully that starts next week but did anyone notice that every run play whether it was a micro-second or an actual second the snap was high from Stone and threw the timing off and most of these designed outside runs depend on timing

Also why does a up tempo spread or fast paced offense always equate to not running it up the middle which since we are supposed to have the best offensive line in America would equate to running behind the line not running on the outside where the line is not?

I agree with your assessment of the linebackers,like you said are they dummies or is it coaching ?

and there were a lot of wide open receivers in the D backfield also

the offensive game plan should have been a lot better,it didn't look like a commitment to the run and what was it with the slow developing plays against a speed D ?

Last edited:
NP definitely has better body language, more arm strength, and appeared more confident. No more Worley. It is unwatchable.

6. I'm somewhat disappointed in the offensive gameplan. UT didn't come out and try to establish the run. Sure, they called run plays, but it was a lot of lame duck outside runs, which Oregon is great against. Also, why can't the O-Line get to the second level against anyone?.

Good post.

The game plan was poor, but it seemed like Butch wanted to run his system. It's a tough choice whether to totally alter your offensive philosophy in Game #3 (which might give you a better chance at winning) or staying with your system (which might be a better long-term strategy).

Our O-line was definitely better than their D-line, but they did not respect the pass at all. Worley seems like the best 'game manager' on our team, but his medium- and long- distance passing game has to be the worst amongst starting SEC QBs. Even if he makes fewer mistakes than the other guys, I question whether every single team that plays us will stack the box and focus heavily on the run, so long as he's in there.

Switching to Peterman might be the better option simply because other defenses at least have to respect the deep ball, which makes the running game easier.

I hope it was on accident that they left the off. playbook in Knoxville because we only have 2 running plays and neither one works. Worley is beyond pathetic and as far as the Def goes, I never though Jancek was the answer and still don't think he is.

Reactions: 1 person
1. If you let this affect your thinking towards Butch Jones on whether he is a championship coach or not, then you are a fool. Oregon not only is the better team, they are one of the five best programs in the country right now, while Tennessee has its fourth coach in six years. It is what it is.

2. However, that doesn't mean there should be no criticism. I was disappointed with Jones with his mindset in the first half and his lack of risks. He had multiple chances to get UT momentum by going for it, and he passed. You literally had nothing to lose, and you acted like this was a game vs. Austin Peay.

4. Say what you want about the situation that he came in for, but Nate Peterman looks more confident at QB than Worley. I also like his body language better.

5. The linebackers have either been horribly coached or, to put it bluntly, a bunch of dummies. They fell for every single play fake Oregon went with. They didn't follow the ball or Mariota's eyes, they went with the direction of the play. That's rule number one not to do against Oregon. Horrible.

6. I'm somewhat disappointed in the offensive gameplan. UT didn't come out and try to establish the run. Sure, they called run plays, but it was a lot of lame duck outside runs, which Oregon is great against. Also, why can't the O-Line get to the second level against anyone?

7. Offensive Player of the Game: Marlin Lane. It's simple. He should get 20 carries a game. He cuts quicker, he hits the hole faster, he will get you extra yards. I really like watching him run.

8. Defensive Player of the Game: Marlon Walls. He's the only player who didn't quit. He's the only that show passion. He's the only one that helped teammates up every time he was in. He did a pretty job containing the edge, being the only one. He had a batted ball. I enjoyed watching him play today. Good for the senior.

9. I thought the wideouts did a good job getting open on pass plays, but just didn't connect well. They had some openings and ran good routes against a talented Oregon secondary. That's a positive.

10. This game never happened. Forget it. UT has bigger gator to fry next week. They can totally change the season against a vulnerable Florida team. Tennessee can still have a good season. One game doesn't make a year.

Good assessment. Don't agree that every defensive player except Walls quit. Regarding #10... it definitely did happen and we'll be better for it. I actually like our chances next week at Florida, and don't give a flying $&@" what any negavol says about it.

#s 6 through 10, especially #s 6 & 7, I'm right there witcha. The others I need to mull over some, #1 I don't have a lot of issues with as well, just some. CBJ still has my total support, OU to me, may be a top 10 program, they're not in my top 5.

Oregon is probably the best team in the country right now.

Great points. Completely agree. I say let Peterman start.. and our line should be manhandling defensive lines. Not impressed with the effort, but I'm not completely let down either.

well said...TY

VN Store

Back