Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Auburn

OneManGang

Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Auburn vs the SEC Championship

fulmer_8203-lg.jpg

Phillip Fulmer: “Tommy, I seem to have lost a defense somewhere. Have you seen it?”

Tommy Tuberville: “No, Coach. I think you might oughta look nearer your practice field.”

Fulmer: “Hmmm, I guess I’ll have to check the film tonight. By the way, you didn’t happen to see a passing attack anywhere?”

Tuberville: “Yeah, Phillip, I’ve got a pretty good one. Wanna see it?”

Auburn defeated Tennessee Saturday night 38-28 and it wasn’t nearly that close.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
Tennessee had twelve penalties for minus-95 yards. Worse, many of those penalties either resulted in substantial gains being called back or throttled promising offensive drives. Then there was UT’s passing … well, ATTACK doesn’t seem appropriate here … let’s call it their pitiful effort, that netted 69, SIXTY-freakin’-NINE, yards on nineteen attempts. UT’s receivers coach Pat Washington seems to have morphed into Roberto Duran and given his troops “hands of stone.”

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!
Two of the Vols’ scoring drives were of twenty yards or less, so much for the highlights.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!
I was VERY pleased at the way Tennessee fought its way back into the game. However, Auburn seemed to answer the Vols, big play for big play. The TOTAL lack of an effective defense doomed this Volunteer outing from the get-go.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.
Colquitt struggled early as his various injuries still bothered him. However, as any old punter will tell you, the more you kick, the less those muscle injuries bother you. Insert sighs HERE.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.
Tennessee has a legitimate ground attack. The defense AND THE DEFENSIVE SCHEME flat-out sucked. John Chavis schemed to throttle Auburn’s running attack back in October and the Tigers lit up Tennessee for 34 points and 252 yards through the air. Apparently not satisfied with that, Chavis decided to USE THE EXACT SAME SCHEME in the SEC Championship. This time, the Plainsmen responded with 374 yards passing, 185 rushing, 559 yard total offense, and 38 points. One has to assume that if we played Auburn yet once more this season, they could top 500 yards passing. Uh, Chief, reckon we might try something DIFFERENT?

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
Tennessee’s heretofore abysmal kick coverage was MUCH improved. In fact, it was one of the high points.

7. Carry the fight to Auburn and keep it there for sixty minutes.
Auburn’s time of possession totaled 39:31, Tennessee’s 21:29. For UT to have had a chance Saturday night, those numbers needed to be reversed.

I lay this loss squarely at the feet of the coaching staff. Tennessee’s offense was non-existent for the first half, managing only about 39 yards of total offense. Meanwhile, Tennessee’s defense, supposedly the stronger of the two units, surrendered over THREE HUNDRED yards and TWENTY-ONE points in the first half ALONE.

Tennessee’s 9-3 record for 2004 is proof positive that talent can overcome coaching, most of the time. In an earlier column I called for wholesale changes in coaching and philosophy among the Volunteer staff.

I stand by that.

MAXOMG

© 2004 One Man Gang

It's the truth.

I know you guys usually praise Chavis... But I have seen way too many chokes now! OMG pointed out something I had noticed as well -- Chavis using the exact same defensive scheme as when Auburn pummled us the first time this season. Bad schemes, lack of fundamentals -- It all comes back to coaching. I have to wonder how great Chavis is to do boneheaded things like he has at the end of the season. I have not seen one iota of improvement in our boys' tackling, or how to correctly get into a pursuit angle. I know they're young, not perfect, but I have seen little to no improvement in our defensive backs the whole year.

Chavis needs to straighten his stuff out. Urban Meyer is coming to Florida next season, and we all have seen what he did with Alex Smith and the Utes' offense. Well, he's got Chris Leak at Florida. I would not be suprised to see the Gators coming out next year with an amazing offensive game. So for the sake of Vols fans, straighten out our backs, Chavis!

Originally posted by OneManGang@Dec 6, 2004 6:59 AM
Auburn defeated Tennessee Saturday night 38-28 and it wasn’t nearly that close.

OMG, I really respect your writing and enjoy reading it.... however, I have to disagree with you on that point.

When the Vols scored to tie the game 21-21 in the 3rd quarter, you could see the look of astonishment in the Auburn players' eyes.

They didn't look all that comfortable either when the Vols scored midway through the 4th quarter to pull with 31-28. At that point in the game, either team could have won. Now, In my opinion, the better did win... because the Vols pass defense could not stop Campbell. However, with the team the Vols put on the field... all you could ask for before the game was to have a chance late in the 4th quarter... and the Vols did.

Comments like the game was not as close as the score..... could have been used for a game like the 1991 Notre Dame game. The Vols were dominated for the first half and statistically for the entire game.... however they somehow won. If the Vols had stopped Auburn on their last TD drive and then moved down the field for an improbable 35-31 victory.... the statistics would have still been out of whack with the final score.. yet the Vols would have won. This game was very close.... much closer than Tuberville would have liked or probably thought it would be.

That's just it, AV.

Was there ANYBODY in the VolNation that thought they'd stop Auburn on that last scoring drive? Let's not forget that the game ended with AU in scoring position.

The defense played EXACTLY the same way they'd played USC, VU, and UK. One has to assume that if ND had a reasonably competent offense they'd have rung up 400+ yards as well.

THAT'S the difference between the 2004 SECCG and the games you mentioned. In South Bend in '91, the defense came up off the mat and stifled ND in the second half allowing the Vol offense to catch up. The 2004 Vols had to turn the AU game into a track meet against a team with superior talent. That doesn't work very often.

I agree that AU had a scare thrown into them but they responded and handed UT their teeth and a note to enjoy Dallas.

Have to agree with allvol here.

No doubt that our D gave up way too much - no excuse. However, it is virtually always the first goal of the D to take away the run. We did that (Campbell had at least 60 or more of the yards = much on one scramble of the 185). Considering R. Brown and C. Williams, to hold them to about 120 combined (especially until the last drive) says we accomplished that goal. Our pass defense was burned early, stiffened but gave up a few big plays (last 2 TD's) and crucial penalties.

Our passing game was hamstrung by missed connections by inches. I disagree with the TV commentators - RC could have thrown better passes but the receivers did not help at all. Too many passes hit receivers in BOTH hands to blame the QB.

We had our chances and didn't capitalize. Is it coaching - perhaps - tackling stills eludes us and to me that's coaching. Other issues are youth in the secondary and crucial mistakes at the wrong time. I'm not one to blame refs but it seemed that any chance to call it on us they did while not looking as critically at Aub.

Just my :twocents: Ultimately, we did not follow the Maxims and as the General predicts - we lost.

P.S. Touchdowns follow blocking just as surely as the day follows the night (I'm paraphrasing here). Just ask Gerald Riggs :rocks:

Boys, I've said from the beginning that when the Vols actually adhere to the Game Maxims, they are damn near unbeatable.

What gets me is to look back over past columns and see THE SAME MISTAKES OVER AND OVER!

I think that's what has most Vol fans upset as well.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I was brought up to think that practices were times not only to put in the offensive and defensive packages for this week's opponent, but also to WORK ON WHAT WENT WRONG IN THE LAST GAME and FIX IT.

I see precious little evidence, from week to week, that this is being done over at Upper Hudson, pardon me: Haslam, Field.

What say you?

The big mystery is why we are getting beat so bad. I don't see a lack of effort but I do see 1) poor form tackling and 2) poor positioning.

I see your point :p

And lack of improvement was the reason for all this upheaval over coaching... Firing them would be hasty, for sure, but to coach the way Fulmer's boys are over the seasons will probably just drag us down, unless we're pulling in 15 five-stars every year.

One could say that losing 1 player in the defensive backfield should not matter... however, counting Antwan Stewart... the Vols were without 3 potential starters down the stretch (Johnson was kicked off the team... and Fellows was injured - did come in a play against both Vandy and Auburn but was not close to 100%)

GAME LCB, RCB, FS, SS (opp yds passing)
UNLV: Fellows, Allen, Campbell, Johnson (175)
Florida: Wade, Hefney, Allen, Johnson (286)
La Tech: Wade, Hefney, Allen, Campbell (264)
Auburn: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, Johnson (252)
Georgia: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, Johnson (209)
Ole Miss: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, Johnson (168)
Alabama: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, Parrish (113)
S.Carolina: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, only 3 DBs started against SC (341)
N.D.: Fellows, Hefney, Allen, Boulware (118)
Vandy: Wade, Hefney, Allen, Boulware (314)
Kentucky: Wade, Hefney, Allen, Boulware (218)
Auburn: Wade, Hefney, Allen, Campbell (374)

In my opinion, the key was the injury to Fellows... after starting against UNLV.... Wade came in against Florida and La Tech and was continually burned. Fellows came back against Auburn as starter and the pass def got progressively better (252>209>168>113>341>118) Note the garbage yards gained by SC in the 4th quarter inflated their passing stats. Wade starts the next 3 games and the Vols give up (314>218>374).

Remember also that last year, Greer, Baker, and Wilson were all seasoned starters. Allen, Stewart, and Campbell were supposed to be the nucleus of this year's team..... Stewart was hurt and Campbell did not live up to expectations. Banks was moved to DB to compensate for the loss of Stewart and then he ran into off the field problems and ultimately knee surgery. Allen was moved to FS, Wade was moved from WR to CB, and 2 true freshmen ended up starting most of the year at the CB positions.

The defensive backfield from 2003:
LCB Jabari Greer (in the NFL)
RCB Jason Allen (SEC leading tackler)
FS Rashad Baker (in the NFL)
SS Gibril Wilson (in the NFL)

The defensive backfield from 2002:
CB Willie Miles
CB Julian Battle
SS Gibril Wilson
FS Rashad Baker

The defensive backfield from 2001:
CB Andre Lott
CB Jabari Greer
SS Julian Battle
FS Rashad Baker

tackling sucks and that is a coaching problem, special teams couldn't run out of a wet paper bag , that's a coaching problem, too many penalties all year that's a disipline problem again coaching but we all hear that talent will win out in the end and we are very talented team but Au had more studs in the stable this yr period. and the majority of their studs were no banged up, we battled injury on both sides of the ball all yr long...can't blame coaches for the last two facts.

Originally posted by volmanjr@Dec 7, 2004 11:26 AM
tackling sucks and that is a coaching problem, special teams couldn't run out of a wet paper bag , that's a coaching problem, too many penalties all year that's a disipline problem again coaching but we all hear that talent will win out in the end and we are very talented team but Au had more studs in the stable this yr period. and the majority of their studs were no banged up, we battled injury on both sides of the ball all yr long...can't blame coaches for the last two facts.

not so much a coaching "tackling" problem but a lack of dicipline... its kinda like they dont give there all to bring down the oponent.

Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7@Dec 9, 2004 11:09 AM
not so much a coaching "tackling" problem but a lack of dicipline... its kinda like they dont give there all to bring down the oponent.

looks to me like they are always trying to "strip" the ball, ie tackle the ball, instead of the player. and that IS coaching. the Vols usually have the pursuit speed to compensate when a player misses a tackle... but this year it seemed like the pursuit wasn't there. too many players out of position?

everyone talks about talent... but it's really a combination of talent + experience. that is probably the main difference between Auburn and Tennessee this season. i'm sure Auburn will be talented next season, but wait and see what their record is with the experienced players they will be losing. lack of experience at quarterback cost LSU dearly this season.

and sometimes you'll see a team with lesser talent but more experience beat a young team. younger teams, albeit talented, tend to make more mistakes.

VN Store

Back