Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Florida

OneManGang

Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Florida

“It stinks” - Coach Butch Jones

Well, yeah.

Your humble scribe felt from the beginning this week that every season the Vols start out against Florida as 7-point underdogs as soon as the gun sounds on the previous year.

Why, you ask?

Simple.

The Vols' attitude is (and has been since the Fulmer era) against teams like Florida and Alabama that, “Gee, wouldn't it be great to win this game! We can really say we've arrived.”

Teams like Florida and Alabama approach their games against the Vols with the attitude that, “We're going to win this thing.”

And therein lies the difference.
---
One of the most meaningful things for an historian is to be able to actually “touch” history. This is one of those times. I recently bought a 1952 edition of The War Against Japan which is part of the famous “Green Book” series of official Army histories of the Second World War. The War Against Japan is part of a three-volume “Pictorial Record” subset. On the title page is a signature noting that this book once belonged to “Sam S. Boldrick, Lt. Col., Arty.” This is his story as told in his notations on the pages inside.

On the inside cover of the book there is a map of the Pacific Ocean. Col. Boldrick used a red pencil to map his journey. He went from San Francisco to Fiji, Fiji to Guadalcanal, thence to New Georgia ending his combat tour on Bougainville. After Bougainville he returned to San Francisco via Canton Island and Pearl Harbor.

Col. Boldrick was part of the 140th Field Artillery Battalion (Light) attached to the 37th Infantry Division. The 37th Division was raised from the Ohio National Guard and naturally was nicknamed the “Buckeye” Division. The 37th Division had seen extensive service in World War I and some of its component units could trace their heritage back to the Spanish-American War and the Civil War.

The 37th arrived in Fiji in June, 1942. They were there to fortify the islands and to conduct intensive training in preparation for combat. Fiji was paradise compared to where they were going. In April, 1943 they moved to the fetid and festering jungles of Guadalcanal.

A picture shot during the fighting on Guadalcanal of burning Japanese ships has the notation, “I have pictures of the burned out hulks of these ships.” He states over another picture of the rescue of survivors from the transport SS President Coolidge that he had sailed to Fiji on board the Coolidge and that it was a “beautiful ship.” A road along a hilltop bears the notation, “I walked and rode daily along this track.”

From Guadalcanal, they moved to Banika Island. And he duly notes where the 140th FA had its headquarters. Part of the 37th went to Arundel Island.

USA-PR-Japan-121.jpg

“Tom McCabe was wounded on Aurundel. This is a typical MANGROVE swamp.” - US Army

He took part in the invasion of New Georgia and arrived with the rest of the Division to take part in the invasion of Bougainville in November. To set the stage, Bougainville is a fiddle-shaped island at the north-western end of the Solomon Islands which include Guadalcanal and New Georgia. The Japanese had a huge naval base at Rabaul on the New Britain which is part of the next group of Islands called the Bismarks. The Japanese had a big airfield at Kahili on Bougainville and that would place American planes closer to Rabaul. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto had been shot down and killed near Kahili.

USA-PR-Japan-132.1.jpg

Results of a Japanese air raid over Bougainville, 20 November.
“Went through this. A miserable night.” - US Army

The notes end shortly after. Col. Boldrick's map shows him leaving Bougainville and returning to San Francisco, but there is no reason given. Was he wounded? Reassigned?

I don't really know. There is no veterans group for the 140th FA and no mention of whether or not he was its commander. Given his rank he might have been.

To an extent it doesn't matter.

He did his bit.

Lt. Col. Boldrick is buried in Marion County Kentucky, having died there in 1998.
---
The Vols, from top to bottom have GOT to learn how to win big games. Unfortunately, the only way to learn how to win big games is by actually winning big games.

And so it goes.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

One would think that when your team is ahead with time running out in the fourth canto and your opponent is facing a 4th down and 14, that victory is a near certainty.

One would think that.

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!

Florida was five-for-five on 4th down conversions during the game. Has Tennesee replaced “3rd and Chavis” with “4th and Jancek?” Stay tuned.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!

Allowing your opponent to score fourteen points in the final four minutes of the game fundamentally violates this Maxim.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.

The experiment of converting Joshua Dobbs into a drop-back passer is not working. Let him play his game.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.

The Vols' defense has been regarded as the team's strong suit up until now. The fundamental problem, once again, is that they simply run out of gas late in the game and that is directly traceable to the feckless recruiting that marked UT football from about 2006 onward. God, in the SEC, is on the side of the big battalions. The Vols are still at least one and probably two excellent recruiting classes away and no amount of hype or enthusiasm is going to change that.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

No real complaints here except that UT needed to be about 15-20 yards closer on that final field goal attempt.

7. Carry the fight to Florida and keep it there for sixty minutes.

Note to Team 119: 58:15 does NOT equal 60:00. You are welcome.

It doesn't get any easier. Playing an SEC schedule is not for the faint-hearted or for those who dwell on what could have been last week. Every single game is going to be a struggle and will often come down to who has the most and the freshest troops available in the fourth quarter. So far, the Vols seem lacking in that department.

That will change but probably not this year.

Vol fans have absolutely GOT to accept that this is a process. The Vols ARE better than they were last year. However, they are not there yet. The rebuilding of Tennessee football cannot be rushed and closing your eyes and wishing very, very hard won't change that.

For that matter, this writer would like to see what Butch Jones could have done with the talent that John Majors left for Philip Fulmer. Unfortunately, what we are seeing is essentially the same scenario that Majors, and for that matter, Doug Dickey walked into when they accepted the mantle of Head Vol. And neither of them faced the recruiting and scholarship restrictions faced in 2015.

Calm down. Buckle up. Better days are ahead.

But it still stinks.

Brick by Brick, Baby!

MAXOMG

Suggested Reading:

US Army, The War Against Japan

Henry Shaw, Jr., and Major Douglas Kane, USMC, The Isolation of Rabaul

John Miller, Jr., Cartwheel: The Reduction of Rabaul

© 2015
Keeping Your Stories Alive

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people

"The Analytic's don't support a positive outcome coach."

:furious3: :banghead2: :spank:

Reactions: 3 people
If Butch had been in charge of the Pacific fleet we would have only invaded Guadalcanal and then sat there and hoped the Japanese eventually ran out of bullets.

Reactions: 7 people
I was privileged to spend last evening (Saturday) with the men and women of History Flight who are the people who found Lt. Alexander Bonnyman's remains on Betio earlier this year.

Great people literally doing a great service for our heroes who never came home and their families.

Quote of the evening, "A lot of times we don't know who or what we've found. We don't know if they are Japanese or American. We treat them all with respect and make every effort to identify them and return them to their families."
- Mark Noah, President, History Flight.

History Flight :: Vintage Warbird Flights and MIA Research

Reactions: 2 people
You are such a remarkable storyteller - and you see this football team and coaching challenges with clarity and reason. I am completely in agreement with you in all regards. My husband told me last year (he's barks a lot) that the Vol crazies will turn on our coach this year. (Even he could see we need at least 4 classes to turn things around on the field.) I assured him after all we've experienced in the years before CBJ we would not become rabid and turn on him... Coach has turned the Program around in so many ways--that I was wrong about Volnation makes me sadder than this loss I witnessed in Gainesville.

Reactions: 5 people
The Hype-Machine has met the enemy, and the enemy is US...alternately, the Hype-Machine has met reality, with disastrous results. Hoping to outlast the enemy is NOT a winning strategy, Coach. That being said, we are 2pts-4pts from being 4-0...so many other things to say, but no, not today.

Thanks, OMG

"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
OP, The General would be proud.

I guess things could be worse. We could have Dooley back trying to talk about World War II.

Last edited:
I am not sure I agree with the Vols "being better." Seems in some ways we have taken sideways steps and in other ways backwards. This is more due to coaching than to players.

In a military battle it's always the Colonels or the Generals that will take the blame no matter how poorly the troops do their jobs in a defeat.

Sometimes it is bad decisions the officers make and sometimes it's the troops not pushing forward hard enough to claim a Victory.

The same can be said of a football team.

Sometimes it's both.

Coaches make mistakes and players don't execute well enough.

I can't place all blame on either our coaches or our players like most want to do.

Lack of solid. experienced depth IS a part of the 4th quarter breakdowns and only good recruiting can fix that and we all know that buTch and staff work their butts off trying to recruit with the best of them.

I really believed with all my heart and soul that this was our year, we would drain that nasty swamp and get the huge WIN against those nasty Gators.

I think that most of us put too much belief into all the press hype of how good Dobbs and our Vols would be this season.

We believed all that Press Hype because we wanted to believe we could Win the East and then Win the SEC because we love our Vols so much.

We're sick and tired of Losing and we want our Vols back in the top 10 all the time like our traditions demand we get back to.

O line can't block, Dobbs can't pass well enough and our great WR's can't get decent separation to be open enough for Dobbs to feel confident in throwing to them...even if the O line did give him time to pass.

Our D gets tired and doesn't seem to be as good as they were last season.

The crazies want to fire buTch and staff, LMAO!

All coaches will make mistakes but very few can recruit top talent in the SC like this staff has proven they can.

We do NOT have the money for another coaching buyout plus have the money to pay huge money for a top coaching staff that MIGHT be able to recruit at a very high level.

buTch needs, and will get, 2 more years despite all the whining and crying we fans do after every tough loss.

Fire buTch and staff and we will set our program rebuilding back another 5 years or longer.

Maybe with another great recruiting class we just might also see more confidence by our coaches to go for it more like we saw with a couple of successful trick plays early in this weeks game.

No matter what happens I'll always be here and will NEVER stop loving or give up on my Vols!!!

OMG, You're simply Outstanding my friend!

Semper Fidelis!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
You cannot win WW II without generals putting soldiers in right position.. How can Tennessee rush 3 , put a spy on fla. qb who had biggest run 12 yds. on fla. td?.. how can offensive run 3 straight plays up the middle ? How can Jumper start at middle linebacker? How can offense run clock so poorly at end of game? Why have defensive timeouts on punt and fg ? How can wide receiver u have 2 catches for 6 yds? The answer is coaching, coaching, coaching- head coach. offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator.

Reactions: 2 people
Very good post, OMG.

However, I think Tennessee will never become an elite team with Butch Jones as coach.

You cannot win WW II without generals putting soldiers in right position.. How can Tennessee rush 3 , put a spy on fla. qb who had biggest run 12 yds. on fla. td?.. how can offensive run 3 straight plays up the middle ? How can Jumper start at middle linebacker? How can offense run clock so poorly at end of game? Why have defensive timeouts on punt and fg ? How can wide receiver u have 2 catches for 6 yds? The answer is coaching, coaching, coaching- head coach. offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator.

Hi Spring Hill. Well said. Don't mind if I add to this ? I have to name #13, playing the opposite corner of Sutton,#7. We were attacked there many times at UF. #12 has improved since BG and he's the starter. Whenever #13 comes into a game the opponents are going to go right at him. I'm armchair QB and I see these things coming and it stands to reason that high-paid coaches should be very much aware of this. At least rotate the safeties to #13's side when he's in the game. He fell down in the flat on OU's last score(TD). He had 2 TD's scored on him at UF, including the final 60+ yd. TD where he looked bad.If this isn't fixed immediately we don't have decent coaching. If we had good coaching, it would have never occurred.

Love your posts.

I do not have any confidence in the current coaching staff. None. Would love for them to prove me wrong but I don't see it.

I was privileged to spend last evening (Saturday) with the men and women of History Flight who are the people who found Lt. Alexander Bonnyman's remains on Betio earlier this year.

Great people literally doing a great service for our heroes who never came home and their families.

Quote of the evening, "A lot of times we don't know who or what we've found. We don't know if they are Japanese or American. We treat them all with respect and make every effort to identify them and return them to their families."
- Mark Noah, President, History Flight.

History Flight :: Vintage Warbird Flights and MIA Research

Thats cool man.

VN Store

Back