Tennessee vs. The Maxims vs. Western Kentucky

Chartervol

Bama Delenda Est
One Man Gang is on double-secret assignment -- says he is maneuvering behind enemy lines someplace in Ohio -- and he has tossed me the keys to this week’s Maxim Report.

OMG would have watched today’s game and come up with some parallel to Zulus and Gatling guns, or how Western Kentucky won the Battle of Borodino last week in Nashville but fell apart today at the gates of Moscow. My analysis is a little more pedestrian in historian circles, but here goes:

-------------

Trouble was afoot December 13, 1862 on the low hills west of the embattled Virginia city of Fredericksburg. Confederates of the Army of Northern Virginia gazed across their stone emplacements as the Federal Army of the Potomac massed downrange, aligning their ranks to cross the open fields toward the Rebel works.

It was an impossible situation for the bluecoats, but as so often happened to that star-crossed army, its leaders simply failed to assess the situation and rethink its plans.

General Robert E. Lee watched the power being assembled down the slope. He turned to his artillery man, Col. Porter Alexander, and asked him what he could do about it.

“General, when we open up a chicken could not live upon that plain,” Alexander said.

And so it was. Wave after wave of Yankees advanced across open ground toward the limestone walls of Marye’s Heights, and wave after wave was shot to pieces. By nightfall the Union bodies were piled high; they served as human breastworks for the remaining Yankees, who were pinned down until dawn.

The most lopsided win in Lee’s career came in a manner for which he is not known. Lee’s legend was built on his offense, his ability to maneuver and concentrate his forces on the enemy’s weak spot. His fabled quarterback, Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, was the gunslinger of the Shenandoah Valley, slipping through the passes of Massanutten Mountain to keep the offense moving.

But not at Fredericksburg. The offense was barely necessary. Defense won going away.

Saturday Tennessee’s much-maligned defense turned on its tormentors and erased the nightmares of the recent past. Bobby Petrino, Offensive Genius, was supposed to find the holes in the Volunteers and exploit them in the manner of ancient Vol nemesis Steve Spurrier.

Not this day.

Playing with discipline and passion, the Vol defense took the ball from Petrino’s offense five straight times and settled the issue before halftime. The offense shook off a slow start and put the game out of reach after the half.

A chicken couldn’t live on Shields-Watkins Field Saturday when the defense opened up its artillery on the Hilltoppers.

Whether a chicken can live on that field on October 19, well, we will see.

-----------------

So how did the Vols live up to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Tennessee went almost six quarters into the season before committing a penalty. Not bad. On the other hand, Western Kentucky made enough mistakes in the first quarter to lose three games. Deduct points for a dropped TD pass and blocked kick that gave the Hilltoppers hope going into halftime.

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way, SCORE.

Five takeaways in six snaps for 31 points. Neyland purrs in heaven.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don’t let up. Put on more steam.

Western looked good on its first drive and it was clear the Tennessee offense was not sharp. The Vol D then put on more steam -- and how. The Hilltoppers seized a break of their own to draw close before the half, but Tennessee’s offensive line provided the steam in the third quarter to restore order.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.

Western got more first-half heat on Justin Worley than it should have, and as Butch said, the blocked kick was unacceptable. Still, when the issue was in some doubt the Vols protected the lead and the ballgame by wearing out the Hilltoppers in the third quarter.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle -- for this is the WINNNG EDGE.

It is nice to see the Vols sailing around and getting to the football again instead of scratching their noggins and wondering how to line up. No way they were as bad as they looked last year.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

Vincent Dallas did a nice job stepping up for Devrin Young; coverage was pretty good; and pinning the Toppers on the two was a nice touch. Still, a blocked punt could have unraveled the whole business.

7. Carry the fight to Western Kentucky and keep it there for 60 minutes.

At 00:00 the Vols’ motor was still running, and so was the one on the Red Hanky Team Bus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 people
Great write up! Now, OP, you need to get Justin Hunter off the field in point #4. He has a game in Nashville tomorrow. :p

Good job. Wonder if OMG will survive his double-secret assignment ?

First off, I would like to issue a heartfelt THANK YOU to CharterVol for ably filling in with this week's report!

As to what I was doing up in the Land of Buckeye people, well, Bill Mauldin's classic sort of sums it up:

mauldinjeep.jpg

I was forced to put down my faithful steed that has seen me through three different companies and far over 100,000 miles. Simple math dictated that putting a $3500 motor in a vehicle worth about $4000 was simply not worth it.

Irony: the reason my car was in Dayton was that Younger Son&Heir's car needed some repairs the week he was to return to UD and I had loaned him mine.We were to trade back when he came back over Labor Day. My car blew its engine before it cleared Montgomery County, OH on the way back.

HIS car works fine ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
OK Worley instead of Hunter. Brain cramp. I was lost in the mist of history and the fog of about eight Coors Lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Great job as the substitute, all the kids in class are going to be wishing you could be the sub every week. Just kidding. Seriously, good job, OMG's posts are the highlight of the week and you didn't let us down in his absence. GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Great post I loved the history lesson and how you used it to tie into how defense can be your best offense. These Maxim break downs are my favorite

I've been following your and OMG postings for years, on a couple of sites. For some of you young whippersnappers these two guys are a couple of the best VOL posters, VOL history, or history in general posters on the net! Freak is lucky to have them! Thanks guys for bringing a old lurker out to write. I hope to see more of both of you! Thanks for all of both of your work as VFLs!
T

Reactions: 2 people
I've been following your and OMG postings for years, on a couple of sites. For some of you young whippersnappers these two guys are a couple of the best VOL posters, VOL history, or history in general posters on the net! Freak is lucky to have them! Thanks guys for bringing a old lurker out to write. I hope to see more of both of you! Thanks for all of both of your work as VFLs!
T

Good stuff, indeed. :good!:

I love these weekly posts, but especially this one as I grew up in Fredericksburg. :clapping:

Those keeping score will note that CharterVol has 3x more "likes" than posts!

"What's good for me might not be good for the weak minded. " - Augustus McRae

Did not notice until you brought it up, but after further analysis ... his posts:likes were ~ 1:1 prior to his stand-in role for the "Maxim OP". A truly remarkable statistic by itself. It appears he has reaped the rewards of the "OMG Maxim-effect" derived from the epic reputation of your Maxim Articles in general. It appears that CV's championship performance has catapulted him into the realms of "Likeness Ratios" which will be envied by those who seem to live for the elusive "e-cred".

I say you let him come in as a "Guest" writer from time-to-time and see how high we can get his ratio.

VN Store

Back