Tennessee's O-Line and the season ahead

ChattaTNVol

SIAP

This is what happens when you ask these guys how they track their internal competitions.

Stone: We got a chart up in our room.
James: I'm leading in every category.
Stone: We compete in pass rush, we compete in knockdowns.
James: I'm really winning. Honestly. I am.
Stone: You're leading in knockdowns.
James: I'm leading in knockdowns, and I'm undefeated in pass rush.
Stone, Fulton, in unison: We're all undefeated in pass rush.
James: I'm 13-0! Y'all are 12-0! [And this is about where the room devolves into a spirited debate over whether 13-0 should really count as a lead over 12-0.]

Big softies. Jones pumps a rotating series of noises into Tennessee football practices, but it's not the canned crowd noise you might expect: rattling trains, breaking sheets of glass, and recorded car alarms echo around the practice field at nausea-inducing volumes. Then there's a file of a wailing infant that seems to stretch on past the point of humane motivational tactics. James, Stone, and Fulton trip over each other to declare it the worst offender. Richardson: "I'm like, Coach, it sounds like somebody's hurting these kids. It ain't right."
Please restrict yourself to five plates of lo mein, gentlemen. "We got a new offense," says James, "so we gotta be a lot faster. I think collectively, as an O-line, we've lost like 200 pounds." Stone: "Basically, everybody had to drop some weight. We had to make some hard, tough decisions in the kitchen." James: "I don't eat past six o'clock. Or when I do, it's a salad." What kind of salad satisfies an offensive lineman? "Those big Zaxby's salads!"

Tennessee's O-line and the season ahead - Grantland

(Note: I posted this in the football talk thread in the Recruiting forum but figured most of you guys never make it over there and I didn't see it on the first couple pages of threads here.)

Reactions: 3 people
They are a special group an it will be an absolute joy watching them every week. A lot of NFL games ahead for those boys.

I'll think they are really good when they prove it by helping us average 150+ yards rushing per game this year. Their performance will be a major key to the season and if we can't run, we're done.

Reactions: 2 people
thanks OP great article

"I'll think they are really good when they prove it by helping us average 150+ yards rushing per game this year. Their performance will be a major key to the season and if we can't run, we're done."

I agree with you ,but it is going to be tuff on them,I'm sure everybody will be loading up for the run,till a consistently good passing game is eastablished

Last edited:
140 to 150 yards rushing is the key to this team and season if we can gain that we can play with them all if the good teams hold us to 75 we are toast burned toast that is.

Reactions: 2 people
I am excited to see how these guys play this year. We have all watched them grow and mature over these last few painful seasons. Someone please unleashed the beast in them! To beat Oregon's much ballyhooed offense, it will help to keep them off the field by having our offensive line beat on them at the tune of 5 yards as play. I point to that game because my daughter lives in Eugene (born in TN may I add) and i have heard the stories of how loud their stadium is. (they have the student section on top of the field, never sit or stfu [apparently]). I really want to see a physical game by our guy's. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back