Texas fans are talking smack

volbound1700

SEC really screwed the pooch with OU vs Texas' schedule. It is BAD.

How do you have the 3 worse SEC programs (UK, Miss State, Vandy) on their schedule and only Georgia among the elite programs while you give Oklahoma 4 of 6 strongest programs in the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee).

Good. We've had Bama, Georgia, and Florida every year, and whatever West opponent we had was hot at the time. It is what it is. They were not going to do much with the OL and QB issues they have. At this point, they should build towards next year.

If they go 6-6 or 7-5, a primary reason given for that performance will be the difficulty of the schedule (and rightly so), but their offense has looked horrible against the 2 G5 teams they've played too. IMO, they could have been given a soft schedule and pretty easily lost 3-4 games. If anything, the hard schedule kind of gives Venables some cover if/when he takes heat this year.

This is only the beginning in regards to TX. Should have never let them in this conference.
Texas will not be able to dictate terms in a conference that contains Alabama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and others. They mathematically cannot do it. They are not in the Southwest Conference or Big 12 anymore.

Texas will not be able to dictate terms in a conference that contains Alabama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and others. They mathematically cannot do it. They are not in the Southwest Conference or Big 12 anymore.
Famous last words, they've been playing this game a long time and are good at it. They know how to use political persuasion to get what they want.

We shall see how this works out in the end. Maybe if the can't get their way, they just leave at some point.

Famous last words, they've been playing this game a long time and are good at it. They know how to use political persuasion to get what they want.

We shall see how this works out in the end. Maybe if the can't get their way, they just leave at some point.
How exactly, from a financial perspective (because that's all that matters), can they throw their weight around in the SEC to always get what they want? It ultimately boils down to numbers.

You really think that if Texas tells Alabama, UGA, UF, LSU, A&M, OU, Tennessee, etc. to jump all of those schools are going to go "Yes sir! How high sir?" They could do that in the Southwest Conference and Big 12 because they brought in something like 25% of the Big 12's entire revenue. I'm sure it was an even larger portion of the Southwest Conference's revenue. Texas and OU together brought in almost 50%. For the first time in their history, they are a member of a conference that they can't financially bully around.

They would only leave the SEC if it it financially made sense (i.e., they'd make more money in another conference or as an independent). At the moment both options, especially the first, seem highly unlikely.

How exactly, from a financial perspective (because that's all that matters), can they throw their weight around in the SEC to always get what they want? It ultimately boils down to numbers.

You really think that if Texas tells Alabama, UGA, UF, LSU, A&M, OU, Tennessee, etc. to jump all of those schools are going to go "Yes sir! How high sir?" They could do that in the Southwest Conference and Big 12 because they brought in something like 25% of the Big 12's entire revenue. I'm sure it was an even larger portion of the Southwest Conference's revenue. Texas and OU together brought in almost 50%. For the first time in their history, they are a member of a conference that they can't financially bully around.

They would only leave the SEC if it it financially made sense (i.e., they'd make more money in another conference or as an independent). At the moment both options, especially the first, seem highly unlikely.
They will try and they very well may fail. If they do fail, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move on and at least try to take others with them.

SEC really screwed the pooch with OU vs Texas' schedule. It is BAD.

How do you have the 3 worse SEC programs (UK, Miss State, Vandy) on their schedule and only Georgia among the elite programs while you give Oklahoma 4 of 6 strongest programs in the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee).

Auburn isn't one of the strongest teams. They're trash right now.

Beating Texas made TCU and Baylor title contenders. Texas’s presence can be a good thing. The new rich kid is just better than the previous one (A&M)

Maybe they scheduled these games a few years ago when UT wasn't as good and UK had Will Levis and was a projected top-15 team.

Still stupid. UK was losing to Tennessee most years even when we were bad. The reasoning is UK had a softer schedule than Tennessee most year and was able to put Ws. (UK having Miss State instead of Alabama as their annual opponent played a part).

UK is still a bottom 3 all-time SEC program and even in their good years, how good are they? They got a great defense but their offense is never elite level.

The 6 SEC power programs all-time are Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee. They should have given 3 of those to OU and 3 to Texas, instead it is a 4-2 exchange and Texas got both Florida and Georgia at home.

Also 1 of the 3 bottom programs: Miss State, UK, and Vandy should have been on OU's schedule. Trade Miss State and Ole Miss and the schedules look more even.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Auburn isn't one of the strongest teams. They're trash right now.

All-time, they are a top 20 program and their trash program has a winning record against Tennessee. They are down (same with Florida) but even a crappy Auburn team still recruits better than a Miss State or Kentucky.

OU has the hardest schedule in the SEC, they have Tex,Miss, Mizzou, USC, LSU, and Bama left after Auburn. They got screwed for their first year.

Also Texas got a soft schedule and their fans know it. They are talking about the SEC is easy, cake walk, we are going to win it, etc. It is hard to argue when you look at their schedule. Only tough games are Oklahoma, Georgia, and @ Texas A&M (maybe Arkansas).

Also Texas got a soft schedule and their fans know it. They are talking about the SEC is easy, cake walk, we are going to win it, etc. It is hard to argue when you look at their schedule. Only tough games are Oklahoma, Georgia, and @ Texas A&M (maybe Arkansas).

All I know is that I already am sick of hearing about Texas and how good they are. Can’t wait to introduce them to the real, and only, UT. I want to humiliate these clowns.

They will try and they very well may fail. If they do fail, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move on and at least try to take others with them.
When the SEC office moves to Dallas instead of Birmingham, I'll start to worry about TX. Right now, the Old Guard is pretty firmly in charge of the SEC.

TX is going to have to consistently beat GA and Bama, just like everyone else aspires to do now, to start throwing weight around.

If they do start dominating on the field for a few years, they'll start having clout in SEC meetings. That's a very, very, VERY large if.

When the SEC office moves to Dallas instead of Birmingham, I'll start to worry about TX. Right now, the Old Guard is pretty firmly in charge of the SEC.

TX is going to have to consistently beat GA and Bama, just like everyone else aspires to do now, to start throwing weight around.

If they do start dominating on the field for a few years, they'll start having clout in SEC meetings. That's a very, very, VERY large if.
They don't have to necessarily win anything. They are good at building coalitions and then using that to get what they want. They know they can't do anything by themselves.

I think it takes a few years, if it happens at all, but things can change rapidly these days. Just something to keep an eye out for.

They don't have to necessarily win anything. They are good at building coalitions and then using that to get what they want. They know they can't do anything by themselves.

I think it takes a few years, if it happens at all, but things can change rapidly these days. Just something to keep an eye out for.
I think Saban addressed that SEC teams, ADs, and admins are pretty arrogant about their place in the "pack." Given the choice between aligning with OU and TX vs GA and Bama, I think UT goes with looooooong tradition over new money bling.

It might happen but I think elite college football, as we know it, breaks off into some kind of new pro league format before TX can take over the SEC. TX might be crafty but the Supreme Court has the brute strength of declaring players are pro athletes and changing everything.

You are correct on this point. Clout, and the amount of clout a team has, is about money. Texas could go 0-12 every year but if they continued to bring in the money that they do, they'd have clout.

Remember though, in the SEC they are a big fish in a pond with 15 other fish, many of whom are just as big as they are. They aren't in a pond with 9 or 11 other schools, all of whom they are much bigger than. I am sure they will try and do a lot of things; I just don't find it concerning because the financial dynamics of this conference are way different than the others they've been in.

VN Store

Back